Best Fighter Ever

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
Last time I looked fighting was against the rules. Why are we then trying to rate who was the best at breaking the rules (in other cheat.) Maybe we should then discuss what accountant is the best at fudging the books, or who is the best corrupt cop.

I guess I would have thought the death of Don Sanderson less than 2 months ago would have made people take a step back and question the sickness of violence in this beautiful game. I use to work at a hospital and a surgeon there (who played college football so he knows sports) described to me the damage a human fist can to to a skull. It is very serious and nothing to cheer about.

Craig
oh, thanks for that.

you can leave now.

fbalmeida

Feb 14, 2009
Braga, Portugal
Probert vs Clark (4 Rounds) is my all time fav hockey fights

Clark was pathetic in the 1st.
Clark with a slight edge in the 2nd.
Probert got trashed in the 3rd.
I'll call it a draw in the 4th.

Clark wins the bout. That last fight shows pretty much everything that needs to be said about Clark, save for his wicked wrist shot. What a legend.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Fighting is one part of hockey that hasn't gotten alot better through the years. A guy from the 60-70:th might stand a chance agaisn the best of today.

Then again, Domi said that the enforcers today were too big and strong for him, and he did okey against some pretty tough legends back in the day.

Would've liked to see Laraque vs the best of the pre-pro era, 85 and before that is.

Back in the 70:s 70% of the players could potentially fight, today it's more like 35%.

Too many euros, hehe..

vivianmb

Jan 10, 2007
winnipeg
www.whocares.ca

bleeney

Mar 29, 2008
Sprague Cleghorn.

Sprague Cleghorn! The ultimate bad guy.

The toughest hockey ever was played in the wild days of the early 20s. Sprague Cleghorn was said to be involved in fifty stretcher-case fights. In 1973, the time between the Big Bad Bruins and the Broad Street Bullies, Red Dutton said:
"If some of the longhairs I see on the ice these days met Sprague Cleghorn, he'd shave them to the skull. Jesus, he was mean. If you fell in front of Cleg, he'd kick your b@lls off."

Conn Smythe once brought up a tough guy, Bill Brydge, to take care of Cleghorn. It didn't work. According to Smythe, Cleghorn "did straighten out Mr. Brydge. He just made a mess of him. Fifty stitches."

Frank Boucher: "Sprague was one of the most aggresive players the game has ever known. To get by him you had to face up to body-checks, charging, cross-checks, elbows, butt-ends and fists. He was quite a guy."

Jack Adams: "The Halls and Coutus and Cleghorns of forty years ago have no counterpart in the game now. If you were lucky enough to skate by one of them in one piece they'd turn and hook their sticks at your face or crack you over the skull. That Cleghorn, why, that SOB was an unwashed surgeon."

In a game against his former team, the Ottawa Senators, referee Lou Marsh gave him a rare match penalty and wrote in a report that he was a disgrace to the game. This was because he had attacked Eddie Gerard for five stitches over the eye, butt-ended Cy Denneny for eight stitches in the forehead and nose, and slammed Frank Nighbor to the ice.

He was banished from a game and was suspended -by his own manager- for charging at Lionel Hitchman, catching him head-on in the face with a cross-check that knocked him unconscious. Lionel couldn't have thought too highly of Sprague: On another occasion Cleghorn was given a one game suspension for slamming Hitchman into the boards.

He was given a match penalty and a fine for hooking Red Stuart across the face.

He once speared Cy Denneny so hard they thought his spleen was punctured.

King Clancy once made a fool of him on the ice. Cleghorn followed him to the dressing room door and KOd him with a wallop to the kisser. Clancy also spoke of how Cleghorn would stand by his bench before the game and sprinkle talcum powder on his glove, and then run the glove up and down his stick. Then "we'd begin to wonder which one of us would be nursing cracked or broken ribs before the night was over. Sprague could slip that butt-end into you like a knife. He was smooth as silk and the referee would never even notice."

And we get all upset over Sean Avery these days.......

sabrefan71

Jun 15, 2006
I'm down with Domi, Rob Ray, Probert, but I really liked Bruce Shoebottom when I was a kid. Played with the Maine Mariners/Boston Bruins.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Growing up Probert was the man, no doubt. But i can't picture him beating Laraque in his prime. Georges is like a professional fighter who happens to play hockey. Hes a monster.. even in his "golden years" no one can cleanly beat him. When he was younger he just destroyed people with those left hands.

FWIW i don't think Probert could beat a younger Brashear either. I loved Bob, but these guys today are in a different league.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I've skimmed over the replies thus far so not sure if anyone has already mentioned Terry O'Reilly.

I have a Bruins fight compilation with some great bruisers doing their thing, but O'Reilly stands out from the pack with his relentless ferocity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad