Best Career Projection - Stützle / Point / J Hughes / E Pettersson

Who do you think will have the "best" career, when we look back?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That's maybe how you remembers him. He's still a 100% lock for the HHoF and will first and foremost be remembered as one of the best players of the Cap era. Anything else is just silly.
Yea. And also a big time playoff disaster

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Sure! Still won't push any player who's just got a cup or two to show for ahead of him.
It’ll push players who were comparable or even a bury below him above him:

Stamkos
Bergeron
Kopitar
Datsyuk
Zetterberg

Just quickly off the top of my head

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
It’ll push players who were comparable or even a bury below him above him:

Stamkos
Bergeron
Kopitar
Datsyuk
Zetterberg

Just quickly off the top of my head

There sure are a lot of awards between these players. I see Rockets, Conn Smythe among others. All those players are ahead of MacKinnon as well, the player who was compared to Matthews. No awards and a cup vs. several awards and no cup was the argument.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Theres nothing opinion based about playing the entire 2nd season and missing only 8 games his rookie year. It means his injury issues are overblown because of last year

You can parrot further about being injured two of three seasons but it isnt true. Maybe you didnt watch much hockey during covid and I could understand that, but playing 117 of a possible 125 games his first two years shortened by covid is what Id call a healthy player.
He still missed time. I really enjoy watching his skill hopefully last year was an aberration.

Reactions: Tusks Up

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They're not close, come on! One has four major individual awards, the other one got zero. If you were to summarize their careers today, Matthews is miles ahead.

People really are going to town with this cup argument.
Mackinnon has raised his game in the playoffs more than any active player. That matters. Matthews does the same and yes he will be considered the better player. But he hasn't if anything it's been the opposite. If you're trying to win game 7 it's not really a choice at this point you're choosing Mackinnon.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
And I personally hate when people overrate playoff performances with small sample sizes than a whole career. Hughes is a top 3 centre level potential in the league for 15 years. Point is a borderline top 20C. Congrats to Point for making the most of his opportunities on a stacked team.
I think you are missing the part of the question where it asks who has the better career. Point has already achieved more than Hughes can hope to achieve and more than someone can reasonably project at only 26 years old. He could have another decade or more of hockey ahead of him to pad some totals. The question isn't about better peak or prime but better career.

Reactions: J T Money

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Being 6 foot 1 at 187 pounds isn't exactly undersized. Compare that to Hughes who weighed 160 pounds. Stutzle was also said to be NHL ready while it was well known Hughes was not. That's why Kakko got so much hype that year. It was because Kakko was thought to be NHL ready while Hughes would take a year or 2 to reach his potential. I'm also not disagreeing with you about Stutzle being elite. He's going to be an amazing player. It's just the skills Hughes has can put him in the top 5 players in the entire league. This isn't to take away anything from Stutzle who is going to be a huge star. It's just that's how crazy Hughes can be.

He was able to play in the NHL because of his ultra skill-level but he was also super raw. People who have watched him game after game know what I am talking about.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
There sure are a lot of awards between these players. I see Rockets, Conn Smythe among others. All those players are ahead of MacKinnon as well, the player who was compared to Matthews. No awards and a cup vs. several awards and no cup was the argument.
MacKinnon could've easily ended up with the 2018 and 2020 Hart trophies, wouldn't make him any better as a player though.

Tusks Up

Aug 14, 2022
He was able to play in the NHL because of his ultra skill-level but he was also super raw. People who have watched him game after game know what I am talking about.
He was ready to play in the NHL because he played in a mens league the year prior.

'Ultra skill' has nothing to do with it. Every player taken 1-3 is 'ultra skilled' at the time

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He was ready to play in the NHL because he played in a mens league the year prior.

'Ultra skill' has nothing to do with it. Every player taken 1-3 is 'ultra skilled' at the time

Like I said, "People who have watched him game after game know what I am talking about"

Transition from the DEL to the NHL is not easy, especially for a teenager, even if he played against "men"

Tim Stutzle was very very raw when he first stepped onto the NHL ice

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
4 players that are almost the same style....All of them electric with the puck,could see all 4 in the top 10 in scoring ,,,Judging whom is best will be a circular arguement that goes no where....

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
Hughes played every single game of his second year.
Played 61-69 first year
All 56 the second

And played 49 out of 82 the third year which saw him get a separated shoulder, Covid, and a knee injury from a knee on knee hit that would hurt most people, and he got shut down since the devils were in the basement and there was no reason to have him out there for the last 2 weeks.

The separated shoulder is also something I’m not worried about since he managed to put up most of his 56 points post injury.

Analytics wise his second season he was also much better than what Stutzle was in his. He drove and pushed play 5 v 5 and generated a lot of chances, where as Stutzle didn’t.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Like I said, "People who have watched him game after game know what I am talking about"

Transition from the DEL to the NHL is not easy, especially for a teenager, even if he played against "men"

Tim Stutzle was very very raw when he first stepped onto the NHL ice
Sens fans must really really hate others not playing up Stuetzle

'like I said, people who watched him-' is almost always the defense taken by those who have lost the ability to put into words any sensible reasoning for their position

Enough excuses under the sun for Stuetzle yet Hughes misses 33 games last season and still out produces him.

Yeah yeah, Stuetzle was 'very very raw', sure thing bud. Lets channel any single prospect profile for Stuetzle and they all will show you he was considered 'NHL ready'

What will be the excuses this year when Stuetzle is out produced yet again by Jack Hughes? Youll Probably go with 'who cares if Jack doubled Stuetzle's points, its only his third year and we can only compare it to Jacks third year!'

I must have missed all those years of comparing Crosby's 1st season to Ovechkins 2nd, and so on.... oh wait, that wasnt necessary because both were equally as good. Stuetzle doesnt sniff Jack Hughes' talent. Just drop it, its sad the lengths you Sens fans are going to for this. The poll only has 90+ more votes for Hughes than Stuetzle, catch a hint

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Point shouldn’t be in this poll along with all those young uns. Poll had potential.

Ignoring Point and just comparing the young guys.

Stutzle>EP=Hughes

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Went with Hughes on upside but Point is the safer pick. I think EP's injuries have probably hurt his development and will continue to do so. Stutzle could be the guy but he's a Sen so nothing good would come of that 😃

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

'like I said, people who watched him-' is almost always the defense taken by those who have lost the ability to put into words any sensible reasoning for their position

Enough excuses under the sun for Stuetzle yet Hughes misses 33 games last season and still out produces him.

Yeah yeah, Stuetzle was 'very very raw', sure thing bud. Lets channel any single prospect profile for Stuetzle and they all will show you he was considered 'NHL ready'

What will be the excuses this year when Stuetzle is out produced yet again by Jack Hughes? Youll Probably go with 'who cares if Jack doubled Stuetzle's points, its only his third year and we can only compare it to Jacks third year!'

I must have missed all those years of comparing Crosby's 1st season to Ovechkins 2nd, and so on.... oh wait, that wasnt necessary because both were equally as good. Stuetzle doesnt sniff Jack Hughes' talent. Just drop it, its sad the lengths you Sens fans are going to for this. The poll only has 90+ more votes for Hughes than Stuetzle, catch a hint

No, I simply don't always have the time to make long posts and go into long arguments :laugh:

Like right now, I am supposed to go to a franchise expo then pick up my father at the airport.

Again, very simple, for anybody who has watched Stutzle in the NHL, it was very apparent how raw he was. I am not sure this needs to be explained with very long arguments. I initially said "People who have watched him game after game know what I am talking about." simply because I didn't want to go into lengths. BELIEVE ME or not, I could care less seriously.

I also don't care if Hughes outscores Stutzle or not this year, because it has absolutely nothing to do with what I said.

Is it clear enough?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Lol
Since one has played more seasons, we’ll compare points per game for career. Basically the same.

Stutzle = 0.66
Hughes = 0.65

Much clearer now.

Reactions: Dionysus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad