Best and Worst Play-By-Play Announcers

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
New Jersey has a guy that sounds like he should be commentating for wrestling or MMA fights.
He really annoys me for some reason

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB
Boston Bruins have the worst announcers in sports

They are incredibly biased to the point where it's embarrassing. Buffalo's (Rick Jeanneret maybe?) has to be the worst. He is mind numbingly boring and adds nothing to the game.

As for best I am a big fan of the Blue's broadcast as well as NBC's crew (Doc Emerick), Chris Cuthbert, Gord Miller, Bob Cole and Joe Bowen.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I like Doc Emrick for the most part, really liked Gary Thorne. I like Jim Hughson as well, probably because he was the voice on one of the EA Sports NHL games.

Avalanche used to have a perfect setup: Kelly and McNab on TV, Haynes and Jones on the radio. I don't like the current mix of Haynes/McNab on TV and Moser/No one on the radio.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Worst: Daryl Reaugh (Stars) Jack Edwards(Boston) Ken Daniels (Detroit), All of NBC Sports
Best: Forslund, Strangis(retired)

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Worst: Daryl Reaugh (Stars) Jack Edwards(Boston) Ken Daniels (Detroit), All of NBC Sports
Best: Forslund, Strangis(retired)
Ken Daniels is often regarded as the best sportscaster out of all of Detroit's pro sports teams and is the most likely candidate to win Detroit Sportscaster of the year on any given year. The color guy is Mickey Redmond who has more hockey knowledge in his pinky then nearly every color guy in the league. They are a phenomenal crew and literally the only reason people dislike them is because of slight homerism, which is completely fine on a freaking local feed imo.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Ken Daniels is often regarded as the best sportscaster out of all of Detroit's pro sports teams and is the most likely candidate to win Detroit Sportscaster of the year on any given year. The color guy is Mickey Redmond who has more hockey knowledge in his pinky then nearly every color guy in the league. They are a phenomenal crew and literally the only reason people dislike them is because of slight homerism, which is completely fine on a freaking local feed imo.
As you mention Redmond, the worst of the 2, is Color so doesn't count as PbP but they both suck and are painful to listen to. "slight" homerism is an understatement.
I watch visiting teams feed because Razor sucks at PbP, the only times i just mute the games is when Boston/Detroit is playing Dallas or the Game is on NBC, the amount of Derp coming out of those crews is just unbelievable bad.
Daniels isn't as bad as Redmond but they are both absolutely terrible, and much like Country music, an assault on the ears.

Side note, being the Best at "Detroit sportscaster" means clearly Detroit has low standards, or no one with talent to chose from.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
In the minority but I think Jack Edwards is great.

I also like Beninati, Rosen, and Doc.

Not a fan of Forslund. He's smart and has a good voice but he's like a string doll that says three different things.

Reactions: Bizz

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
New Jersey has a guy that sounds like he should be commentating for wrestling or MMA fights.
He really annoys me for some reason

Cangialosi shouldn't be commentating anything in any way, shape, or form.

He sounds like a cat getting chainsawed.

Good thing the Devils have a great analyst in Dano.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Rick Jeanneret and Bob Cole are my favourites. If I did not like the Sabres however, could possibly hate Jenneret.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
As you mention Redmond, the worst of the 2, is Color so doesn't count as PbP but they both suck and are painful to listen to. "slight" homerism is an understatement.
I watch visiting teams feed because Razor sucks at PbP, the only times i just mute the games is when Boston/Detroit is playing Dallas or the Game is on NBC, the amount of Derp coming out of those crews is just unbelievable bad.
Daniels isn't as bad as Redmond but they are both absolutely terrible, and much like Country music, an assault on the ears.

Side note, being the Best at "Detroit sportscaster" means clearly Detroit has low standards, or no one with talent to chose from.
Dave Strader was much better than Ken Daniels, but he quit the Red Wings for some reason. Dave was one of the best and I was saddened by his passing.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Pittsburgh steigerwald is absolutely horrendous.... Couldn't stand Howie Rose either..... Brendan Burke, Ralph Strangis (former Dallas) are both excellent.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
jim hughson. he's the only non-biased commentator. all the other ones shouldn't be commentating at all.
Non biased because he doesn't give a crap about anything, and it shows in his dull tone. He sounds bored unless it's his beloved Vancouver Canucks. I wish they'd get him off the air already. He's Hockeys version of Joe Buck.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
My favourites are probably Good Miller, Chris Cuthbert, Ferraro and Mike Johnston is a pretty good analyst, The Caps and Blues calling crews are pretty good as well. Absolute favourite is Bob Cole however, always feels nostalgic the rare time he calls a Leafs game

Least favourite are probably Romanuk and the Bruins duo whenever they go full homer. Hughson's pretty bad too but I've gotten used to him, I actually kinda like Craig Simpson though tbh.

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
Devils fans might not agree with me but I hate our broadcast team. Cangiolosi isn't bad at play by play but his voice gives me chills in a bad way. Daneyko has no business being a color commentator. His voice is too rugged and rough and he sounds clueless most of the time. It's tough to get used to those two when you're spoiled with Doc and Chico for decades. Bryce Salvador has only made the broadcast worse.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
You all get Garrett because the owners and some whiny fans didn’t like Tom Larcheid. He was awesome and didn’t pull any punches during games. If someone was playing like crap (or the team was playing like crap) he called them out.

Agreed completely. Not to mention the owners resisted the rebuild tooth and nail every step of the way, demanding that they "win now" when they should have tore it up. They've had far too much negative influence on this team.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Does Root sports still exist? they'd have to be up there.

I also don't care for anyone from NBC who isn't an import.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
The Tampa guy needs to calm down....my god, I listen to NHL radio and the dude sounds like he's having a brain aneurysm.

Im actually surprised at the John Kelly and Panger love. Both are pretty fair, but big homers. Panger just gets downright creepy.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
The Tampa guy needs to calm down....my god, I listen to NHL radio and the dude sounds like he's having a brain aneurysm.

Im actually surprised at the John Kelly and Panger love. Both are pretty fair, but big homers. Panger just gets downright creepy.
Lol - Mishkin is nuuuuuuuts. Has a stroke every time the Bolts score.

Our TV guy is great though. For my money I think Peckham is the best in the biz. Since Engblom joined for color it's also a bit more neutral-listener friendly (although frankly I still miss Chief).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad