Best all purpose tiles

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Hello all,

I have a 13' by 13' area in my home gym that doesn't have any use right now and that I'm looking to convert into an off ice training area. My son is starting and loves to play and shoot, but I'd like to use it as well for myself.

I have enough space for a tarp and am looking for hockey flooring. I don't really like synthetic ice or the general maintenance that it requires.

What I'd like to do is have good dryland tiles that I can use a green biscuit on and, potentially, my mars blades (as well as my sons inlines). I'm not sure if hockeyshot-type tiles would be safe in terms of friction though, but too much friction and I guess the puck wouldn't really glide well. I know its a small area, but for a child it's decently big enough and I can still do basic work.

Anyone have any suggestions ?

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
Hello all,

I have a 13' by 13' area in my home gym that doesn't have any use right now and that I'm looking to convert into an off ice training area. My son is starting and loves to play and shoot, but I'd like to use it as well for myself.

I have enough space for a tarp and am looking for hockey flooring. I don't really like synthetic ice or the general maintenance that it requires.

What I'd like to do is have good dryland tiles that I can use a green biscuit on and, potentially, my mars blades (as well as my sons inlines). I'm not sure if hockeyshot-type tiles would be safe in terms of friction though, but too much friction and I guess the puck wouldn't really glide well. I know its a small area, but for a child it's decently big enough and I can still do basic work.

Anyone have any suggestions ?
I bought some tiles like this for my son, and they are really good for shooting in the driveway. But as for skating, they are nothing like real ice and frankly make a heck of a mess. Plastic shavings everywhere. But my son loves to take them out into the driveway for shooting practice. You can shoot real pucks off them. Rollerblades are great with the green biscuit. It’s not exactly the same, but it worked wonders for my son, especially because he could use them all off-season. As long as you don’t live in a neighbourhood with crazy traffic, it’s a great combo. I’m lucky enough to be close to a cul de sac, and the neighbours don’t mind.

Edit: Forgot to add - for shooting practice in the driveway, you only need about 4 or 5 tiles, so a box of them would do fine.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I bought some tiles like this for my son, and they are really good for shooting in the driveway. But as for skating, they are nothing like real ice and frankly make a heck of a mess. Plastic shavings everywhere. But my son loves to take them out into the driveway for shooting practice. You can shoot real pucks off them. Rollerblades are great with the green biscuit. It’s not exactly the same, but it worked wonders for my son, especially because he could use them all off-season. As long as you don’t live in a neighbourhood with crazy traffic, it’s a great combo. I’m lucky enough to be close to a cul de sac, and the neighbours don’t mind.

Edit: Forgot to add - for shooting practice in the driveway, you only need about 4 or 5 tiles, so a box of them would do fine.

I want them for my home gym, which is inside my house. I have an area of 13'x13', but I was wondering if the classic hockeyshot type dryland tiles are too slippery for inlines.

Minnesota Knudsens

Apr 22, 2024
I want them for my home gym, which is inside my house. I have an area of 13'x13', but I was wondering if the classic hockeyshot type dryland tiles are too slippery for inlines.
Interesting. Ours are Hockeyshot from Pro Hockey Life. My son has never tried to rollerblade on them, but I imagine it would be too slippery. You can actually skate on them with real skates, but like I said, they make a heck of a mess. Even if they work for a while with your kid in a 13’x13’ space, as he gets older that setup will only be limited to shooting only anyway ( or going around in tight circles). Therefore if your gym has a normal floor, I would recommend putting a net at one end, and shooting off of one or two of these tiles. Or just shooting with the green biscuit (shooting pucks).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad