Besides Roy, which other forward prospect makes the team?

Who do you think will make the team from camp?

• Total voters

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
Doubt they move Gallagher because they will use him as vet leadership... even more after Savard is gone.

Anderson is one they probably want to move. Hard to find a good spot for him in our line-up. Hopefully, he is involved in a Laine trade package. If Anderson stays, I doubt he rebounds playing in the bottom 6 on our roster. We tried that last year. One thing I will say is Anderson knows how bad his season was last year so he should come in with more energ

Doubt they move Gallagher because they will use him as vet leadership... even more after Savard is gone.

Anderson is one they probably want to move. Hard to find a good spot for him in our line-up. Hopefully, he is involved in a Laine trade package. If Anderson stays, I doubt he rebounds playing in the bottom 6 on our roster. We tried that last year. One thing I will say is Anderson knows how bad his season was last year so he should come in with more energy
Albeit a very expensive option, but Anderson could be effective in a pound and ground forechecking role on the 4th line….. he’s not useful on, nor probably capable of cracking our top 9 at this point, so if we’re stuck with his contract, might as well turn him into a ´role ´ player.
If that lights up a flame under his butt, like Armia ´s stint in the AHL last year, good for us.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Albeit a very expensive option, but Anderson could be effective in a pound and ground forechecking role on the 4th line….. he’s not useful on, nor probably capable of cracking our top 9 at this point, so if we’re stuck with his contract, might as well turn him into a ´role ´ player.
If that lights up a flame under his butt, like Armia ´s stint in the AHL last year, good for us.

I hope Anderson can rebound in a bottom 6 role but I would not count on it at this stage.

Reactions: Tyson

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Look it's fairly common for guys to get called up near the end of the year and look good, have all the fans pencilling him in as a lock/core player only for the guy to come to camp not look great and get sent down. Hopefully it doesn't happen but it's a story we've seen time and time again so I just wouldn't automatically assume Roy has a secure spot until we see him at camp.

In terms of 2nd line spot, both Gallagher who went ppg near the end of the year and Anderson could easily be given that spot. In terms of just a generic roster spot causing Roy to be sent down rookies like Heineman, Farrell, Beck, Kapanen, Xhekaj all could potentially displace Roy if he doesn't prove he deserves it more then them. And if MSL is happy with Pezzetta and we are looking at just having someone to sit in the pressbox then we probably just grab some guy from waivers.
I think you may see that spot go to a few different players over the course of the year. But I hope they give Roy a lot of ice there.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Look it's fairly common for guys to get called up near the end of the year and look good, have all the fans pencilling him in as a lock/core player only for the guy to come to camp not look great and get sent down. Hopefully it doesn't happen but it's a story we've seen time and time again so I just wouldn't automatically assume Roy has a secure spot until we see him at camp.
Yes that's with guys like RHP, not a guy like Roy who was one of our best prospects at the time. He's not some random plug with low upside who was scoring at an unrealistic rate, he was always a great prospect for us.
In terms of 2nd line spot, both Gallagher who went ppg near the end of the year and Anderson could easily be given that spot. In terms of just a generic roster spot causing Roy to be sent down rookies like Heineman, Farrell, Beck, Kapanen, Xhekaj all could potentially displace Roy if he doesn't prove he deserves it more then them. And if MSL is happy with Pezzetta and we are looking at just having someone to sit in the pressbox then we probably just grab some guy from waivers.
Lol Gallagher is beyond cooked and Anderson put in no effort last year. You want to send Roy down if he doesn't come into camp playing like a man on a mission but will play the donkey on the 2nd line when he's stopped caring? None of those guys are expected to displace Roy, Roy is a vastly superior prospect than all of them and significantly more talented, he will be given his shot in the top 6 no questions about it. For the record, it took like half a season of Barron in the NHL before he got sent down. We won't be sending Roy down at camp when we are desperately starved for offensive skills outside the top line.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Yes that's with guys like RHP, not a guy like Roy who was one of our best prospects at the time. He's not some random plug with low upside who was scoring at an unrealistic rate, he was always a great prospect for us.

Lol Gallagher is beyond cooked and Anderson put in no effort last year. You want to send Roy down if he doesn't come into camp playing like a man on a mission but will play the donkey on the 2nd line when he's stopped caring? None of those guys are expected to displace Roy, Roy is a vastly superior prospect than all of them and significantly more talented, he will be given his shot in the top 6 no questions about it. For the record, it took like half a season of Barron in the NHL before he got sent down. We won't be sending Roy down at camp when we are desperately starved for offensive skills outside the top line.
It's not a question of what I would do or want to see happen. I don't want to see Anderson in the top-6, but I expect MSL will use him there at times this season. But yeah if Roy doesn't do well in camp then it's a sign he needs more time in the AHL and because he's got a real future if playing him in the AHL is what's best for his development then that's what I want to see happen even if it means playing a beyond cooked Gallagher who incidentally had a better ppg last year then Roy did.

Roy has the best odds, and I actually do expect him to have a good camp and make the team, all I'm saying is just because it's the most likely doesn't mean it's what will actually happen.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
One of the best face off men in the entire league
He will be playing C
And when a team trades for him
It will be because he's C

The 2nd line will not be Dach+Dvorak, it will be Dach+Newhook+ Lucky guy

In the modern NHL, you do have multiple centers on a line, and Dach is RH, Dvorak LH

Reactions: overlords

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
It's not a question of what I would do or want to see happen. I don't want to see Anderson in the top-6, but I expect MSL will use him there at times this season. But yeah if Roy doesn't do well in camp then it's a sign he needs more time in the AHL and because he's got a real future if playing him in the AHL is what's best for his development then that's what I want to see happen even if it means playing a beyond cooked Gallagher who incidentally had a better ppg last year then Roy did.

Roy has the best odds, and I actually do expect him to have a good camp and make the team, all I'm saying is just because it's the most likely doesn't mean it's what will actually happen.
I would bet good money that Roy gets a long look even if he doesn't have a good camp.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Tuch if they can dump one of their 4th line vet contracts.
Heineman if he gets back to his form from a year ago.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
In the modern NHL, you do have multiple centers on a line, and Dach is RH, Dvorak LH
Yup
All true

Dvorak is still going to be centering that 3rd line tho
Newhook *can* play Center, but *is not* a Center

They didn't trade for Newhook to Center the 3rd line, they traded for him to play on Dach's wing
Which he did, for the 1 and a half games that he was able to play with Dach last year

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Yup
All true

Dvorak is still going to be centering that 3rd line tho
Newhook *can* play Center, but *is not* a Center

They didn't trade for Newhook to Center the 3rd line, they traded for him to play on Dach's wing
Which he did, for the 1 and a half games that he was able to play with Dach last year
Doesn't matter what they traded him for really. If Roy is better on Dach LW, They will use Newhook as 3C. Depends on Roy.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
our lineup gets so bad after it hits Gallagher on the 2nd line lol, just a brutal collection of players for the pro level. Kent better get off his ass

Reactions: Habby4Life

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
our lineup gets so bad after it hits Gallagher on the 2nd line lol, just a brutal collection of players for the pro level. Kent better get off his ass
The have one line, few other pieces, and a bunch of scrubs up front

Reactions: Habs

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Why does Pezzetta have a secured spot according to some here?

He's one of the most replaceable forwards we have.

As far as I'm concerned, he's not in the top 13.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
The have one line, few other pieces, and a bunch of scrubs up front

and soft, streaky pieces to top it off lol. Evans, Armia, RHP (was slotted in) Anderson.. a bunch of other winners...

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
and soft, streaky pieces to top it off lol. Evans, Armia, RHP (was slotted in) Anderson.. a bunch of other winners...
At least, all these guys are players we know are on their way out...

Why does Pezzetta have a secured spot according to some here?

He's one of the most replaceable forwards we have.

As far as I'm concerned, he's not in the top 13.
He has a one-way.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I DON'T GIVE A RAT'S ASS.:nono:

Let him get claimed...
Who else do you envision earning that strategic 13th forward spot? Any of our young prospect is better playing meaningful minutes in the AHL than warming the bench in the pro. Pezzetta knows his role. He's totally replaceable, I agree fully, but he's not consequential for anything.

JuJu Mobb

Dec 9, 2009
Who else do you envision earning that strategic 13th forward spot? Any of our young prospect is better playing meaningful minutes in the AHL than warming the bench in the pro. Pezzetta knows his role. He's totally replaceable, I agree fully, but he's not consequential for anything.
I envision a rotation with Barré-Boulet, RHP (before the diagnosis).

RHP was my original 13th forward.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I hope Anderson can rebound in a bottom 6 role but I would not count on it at this stage.
People forget that he had an absolutely miserable season in Columbus before he joined the Habs.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him rebound like that, although it may take a change of scenery.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I don't think ABB is who the management will want to put in the lineup to start the season. He's 27 years old and has no future with the habs.

They will likely much prefer Farrell or Heineman. Both have a chance to be part of the Habs future and are in their d+5 year, so now's the time to evaluate them. If they don't assess them now at the NHL level, it will be much harder to do it afterward when other prospects are NHL-ready (Beck, Kapanen, Demidov, Xhekaj, Mesar, Tuch, etc.).

Farrell and Heineman could become decent players, so you don't want to lose them for nothing or trade them away without properly evaluating them.

ABB would have to look way better than those 2 in camps to make the team IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad