Besides Roy, which other forward prospect makes the team?

Who do you think will make the team from camp?

• Total voters

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
The habs have 11 forwards (Suzuki, Slaf, Caufield, Dach, Newhook, Roy, Dvorak, Anderson, Gallagher, Armia, Evans) expected to be regulars + Pezzetta as the 13th forward. That leaves us with 1 open spot. Assuming we don't acquire a forward, which prospect do you think will make the team?

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
I put Alex Barre-Boulet, I don't see him as much of a prospect, and I can't see him being much more than an NHL tweener at this point, but I have a feeling the Habs brought him in so he can just play a depth role to start and then maybe get bumped out of the lineup later if someone from Laval is showing more.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Heineman is the most physically ready. He has scored 22 G in 59 AHL games. Big, strong and has a great shot. He has a golden opportunity.
Agreed. While he probably won’t make it out of camp, I suspect Florian Xhekaj will be the first call up from Laval. Florian has the size, skating and skills to force his way onto the team.

This should be interesting to watch.

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Barre-Boulet has the inside track, but honestly even Roy doesn't have a secure spot in the lineup. If Roy comes to camp thinking his spot is secure he'll more then likely get sent down (Much like Justin Barron last year).

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Agreed. While he probably won’t make it out of camp, I suspect Florian Xhekaj will be the first call up from Laval. Florian has the size, skating and skills to force his way onto the team.

This should interesting to watch.
It will be interesting to see how Florian is used. If they want to develop him as a center then it's probably best for him to spend the whole year in Laval and not be a callup. I'm also curious if they'll use him in the top-6 as he's got the potential to be more then a crash and bang 4th liner, but he'll need to be used in an offensive role if that's the case.

Reactions: NewDef

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Barre-Boulet has the inside track, but honestly even Roy doesn't have a secure spot in the lineup. If Roy comes to camp thinking his spot is secure he'll more then likely get sent down (Much like Justin Barron last year).
I think he was brought in more for Laval. I don’t see him in Montreal. At least, not out of camp. Plus, if he beats out a couple prospects that should be pushing hard, then there’s a bit of a problem there.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I think he was brought in more for Laval. I don’t see him in Montreal. At least, not out of camp. Plus, if he beats out a couple prospects that should be pushing hard, then there’s a bit of a problem there.
That was probably the case before RHP's injury, but now I wouldn't bet on it. We also have to keep in mind that whoever it is will probably be rotating in and out of the lineup since Pezzetta will be getting games, and you don't want a guy with an actual future not playing regularly.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
It will be interesting to see how Florian is used. If they want to develop him as a center then it's probably best for him to spend the whole year in Laval and not be a callup. I'm also curious if they'll use him in the top-6 as he's got the potential to be more then a crash and bang 4th liner, but he'll need to be used in an offensive role if that's the case.
Agreed. Anyone watching Florian play last year quickly realized that this kid is far from the all too predictable characterization as a ‘crash and bag 4th liner’. Those type of players don’t drive power plays in the OHL.

Whether by luck or design, we stole this kid in the 4th round. To this writer, Florian has more potential than any player we have slated for Laval or is a possible fringe roster player on the Canadiens.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Well we might get Laine.

But if not I think it's probably Heineman that will get his shot as long as he has a good camp.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
That was probably the case before RHP's injury, but now I wouldn't bet on it. We also have to keep in mind that whoever it is will probably be rotating in and out of the lineup since Pezzetta will be getting games, and you don't want a guy with an actual future not playing regularly.
True but I see these guys competing for a 3rd line spot, not Pezetta’s on the 4th. I do love Pezz, but I suspect this’ll be his last season in Montreal. Great guy for a rebuilding team, but they can do much better now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad