NCAA: College Football 2024: Conference Re-Malign-ment, News & Notes Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
But the seeding system comes with so many flaws. Notre Dame could be the #1 team in the final CFP poll and yet get relegated to the first round because they are independent.

I've been criticizing similar seeding systems for the MLB and NFL playoffs for years now. I'm glad the NBA doesn't have a similar seeding system anymore.

So, my proposal to divide the playoff bracket along the Mason-Dixon Line allows any team in the P4 to have a first-round bye irrespective of status as a conference champion or not or playing as an independent in ND's case.

Will never get tired of your ideas

• Haha
Reactions: Tony Romo

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Don’t have to worry about Notre Dame being deserving of a bye

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Wonder how much more rope Riley Leonard has as the starter.

Will they work anyone else in against Purdue?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
But the seeding system comes with so many flaws. Notre Dame could be the #1 team in the final CFP poll and yet get relegated to the first round because they are independent.

I've been criticizing similar seeding systems for the MLB and NFL playoffs for years now. I'm glad the NBA doesn't have a similar seeding system anymore.

So, my proposal to divide the playoff bracket along the Mason-Dixon Line allows any team in the P4 to have a first-round bye irrespective of status as a conference champion or not or playing as an independent in ND's case.
1725785442744.png

Also you act like Notre Dame in this hypothetical scenario doesn't get any benefits. If they finish that high in the polls they get the benefit of waltzing into the CFP without having to play a conference championship game.

They come in as the 5th seed and could also benefit because they get whatever remaining G5 team gets in as the last conference champion bid. THEN they would play the #4 seeded conference champs who has a non zero chance of being kinda mid.

From a casual perspective, that sounds like a fairly easy road. Of course that's a hypothetical, in this reality Notre Dame couldn't beat Podunk ass NIU so maybe save this for next year.

Last edited:

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Oh and also: Deion Sanders is a bitch ass hoe and so is his son.

Someone tell Shedeur you can't go sulk in the locker room like a bitch because you didn't get your way isn't allowed in the big leagues. Wuss

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Seeding priority for division winners in the NFL cost the Browns a shot at their first ever home playoff game at their current stadium and first overall since 1994 after they had one of the four best records in the AFC but still did not win their division, which combined with the Lions winning the NFC North last season gave them the longest active drought without a home playoff game.

So if Notre Dame has the top ranking in the final CFP poll in any given season then by all means they should get a first round bye.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Seeding priority for division winners in the NFL cost the Browns a shot at their first ever home playoff game at their current stadium and first overall since 1994 after they had one of the four best records in the AFC but still did not win their division, which combined with the Lions winning the NFC North last season gave them the longest active drought without a home playoff game.

So if Notre Dame has the top ranking in the final CFP poll in any given season then by all means they should get a first round bye.
What does this have to do with anything?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Win your division then

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009

Who f***ing cares

Reactions: DaaaaB's

End of Line

Mar 20, 2009
Another thing that won’t play in the NFL unless of course a team is trying to chase clout to make up for their inability to do anything else, but eventually you do have to, you know, win.

I just enjoy watching car crashes from afar

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This has gotten far beyond out of control with the reckless driving. I don’t know if the NCAA can levy any penalties, but they should.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
If Delaware can do it, so can they.

No doubt, problem just is Delaware had numerous possible landing spots thanks to its location, while Montana's only realistic path is to the Mountain West, which has never added a school in transition. Plus there needing to be 2 spots because the Montana schools either go together or stay together. This is basically Montana's best opportunity and I fear it may be their only opportunity for a long time. I've largely been content in the FCS, but that's because it was the second tier and I great preferred the FCS playoff system to hoping for some shitty bowl. Going forward I think the G5 is the new second tier, especially if they start their own playoff system. Status quo would effectively be a step down within a handful of years and I don't see a ton of paths opening up after this. I'm not delusional enough to think that Montana's roots in the old PCC means enough to get even the Pac-½ to so much as glance at such a small market, so it's the Mountain West or bust.

The WAC failing basically blocked any path western FCS programs had to move up until potentially this moment, and I have little doubt that the Mountain West is far more interested in poaching Texas/Louisiana teams than regional programs that'd fit the conference like a glove but don't come with a large TV market, or even the potential mid-major powers in the Dakotas.

It's frustrating because there's nothing Wyoming brings that Montana doesn't aside from the butterfly effect of one departing the Mountain States Conference for a conference that would go with 1-A distinction 15 years after the fact, while the other left the Mountain States Conference for a conference that would go with 1-AA distinction 15 years later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad