Berube // North <-> South // Coaching Systems // Elitism

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
I've seen a definite difference in play from last year. A lot more sound defensively. Might even be boring at times without the flashiness.

But the thing is, if it gets us a ton of wins in the playoffs to hopefully getting to that coveted goal, I am all for it. We as the fans deserve it.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
swap Robertson for Knies.

I want 1 slapshot. and the rest of the guys I want as fast as possible and as much finish as possible.
That's fair. I really did these units around keeping ES lines together as well as having "interchangeable parts"

Matthews on each of them, a set up man on each of them (Marner or Domi), a net front guy (Tavares or Knies), another sniper to watch out for (Nylander or Robertson) and obviously a point man with a shot...Timmins should get a look if he is in the lineup.

Last edited:

HamiltonNHL

Resigning Marner == Running it back
Jan 4, 2012
I've seen a definite difference in play from last year. A lot more sound defensively. Might even be boring at times without the flashiness.
We've played pond hockey during the regular season so much we don't know any other way to play.

Dubas: Here was your big big big failing.

Regular season Corsi, Playoff Corsi.

They aint the same.

• Love
Reactions: TakeTheBody

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think the top lines and PP1 haven't been changed yet because of the difference between practice/preseason and real games.

The PP1 squad may be looking great during practice: give them a few real games to see how they do before shuffling.

Some of the top players have looked slow in preseason/practice: give them a few real games to see if it was just 'vet privilege' or a real issue.

Some forward pairings look a bit off: give them a few games to see where the problem (if any) is.

You get a much better sense of what works or doesn't work by watching real games against real opponents (does Montreal count?)

We've got new coaches. I don't mind them taking a few regular season games before doing a lot of changes. If there's still no improvement after maybe 10 games I'll start worrying.

We have seen large improvement in overall play, mainly because of the new players/pairings/lines beyond the 'top 6', so I'm reasonably happy with both Tre and Berube so far.

Reactions: LFKevin21

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
That would be 2 PP coaches in a row so I put it on personnel over the coach.
I mean they were a top 10 PP overall last year and that got the coach fired because of a prolonged struggle into playoffs. Still top 10 through that. They've been much better than that with this core 5 previously as well. The coach should be capable of getting production from them.

horner

May 22, 2007
I mean they were a top 10 PP overall last year and that got the coach fired because of a prolonged struggle into playoffs. Still top 10 through that. They've been much better than that with this core 5 previously as well. The coach should be capable of getting production from them.
The PP has been shit for 23 games dating back to the end of last season

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I'm not sure what I was expecting to see exactly.

But I'm pretty sure I'm not seeing it. A few more point shots and playing fall back defense in the third when holding a multi-goal lead. That's about it really.

Anyone expecting a throwback to 90's style Devil's hockey is gonna be disappointed.

Possession is driven by offense. It helps if the defense is good at breaking up plays and clearing the puck. But you won't win the possession game unless your forwards are good at hemming the other team into their own end for extended periods of time.

This has been the Leafs bread and butter for years.

That's why they're spending $45M a year on four forwards. Nobody pays someone $11M a year to not drive offense. Until they change the makeup of the roster there's only so much coaching will accomplish.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I watched TOR over the last couple games, and I must admit that I am watching with some discomfort. So weird seeing opportunistic scoring, pucks flicked out into the neutral zone, heavy forechecking, down low plays, etc.

How do you feel about the change so far? It certainly looks like cookies are going to be hard to come by.

Wild start, but I like the defensive structure.
I havent watched a game yet, saw some highlights. If they are playing this style in a north/south fashion, it is far more beneficial to them when it matters most in the playoffs. Playing a playoff style game throughout the year can only lead to better preparation for when the space disappears.

No one cares if Matthews only scores 20 goals and Leafs finish 8th if the team wins a Cup. He shouldn't care either as this is where legacies are made.

As it were I have doubts the core players can play this way on a permanent basis. At least Matthews can be counted on to play a two way game regardless. Generating offense in a game of tight ice hasnt been his or any of the cores forte though. It should drive increased, hungry PP success also.

Repetition can only breed success and star players SHOULD be able to figure it out and their stats will eventually shift to the mean. It will then continue in the post-season. That is the theory anyway.

Jordan learned to play a stronger game against the Pistons at a time when the NBA was physical under the hoop (until the league decided to protect their stars, mainly him) and it served him well.

Reactions: LFKevin21

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
1- People need to accept thst will take time for matthews, marner, nylander, jt, rielly who had been there the last 5 under keefe east-west system. You don't build a system in 2 week, that's took 4-5 month to Florida when Maurice step in to change their identity and their style. We pratically ask them to do the complete reverse than whst they did last 5...

2- Even after 2 game, i already saw some difference he didn't saw under Keefe. Pacioretty/ Lorentz goal was 2 great exemple of the change...Just attck the net and good thing will finish to happen

Reactions: notDatsyuk

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
1- People need to accept thst will take time for matthews, marner, nylander, jt, rielly who had been there the last 5 under keefe east-west system. You don't build a system in 2 week, that's took 4-5 month to Florida when Maurice step in to change their identity and their style. We pratically ask them to do the complete reverse than whst they did last 5...

2- Even after 2 game, i already saw some difference he didn't saw under Keefe. Pacioretty/ Lorentz goal was 2 great exemple of the change...Just attck the net and good thing will finish to happen
There is tons of time, I expected an adjustment period. Like what I've seen so far...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad