Friedman: Bennett and Panthers open contract talks

ShootIt

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2008
So what is your point?

Bennett is 29. In his prime. He could fall off a cliff at 34. He may not. Giving him a long term deal now may have consequences later but it's a win now move.
His impact isn't just points. While I doubt Zito isn't ignoring the impact years from now, he knows the core is set to win now. Bennett even at a 6-6.5mil cap hit 5 years down the road won't hurt as much, granted the economy won't crash again and stunt the cap.

Stamkos at 34 is still a great offensively player, but his 5v5 game wasn't what it used to be, as he has had several leg injuries and has slowed down. He was still deadly on the powerplay. Giving him another mulit year deal, especially when there are signs that he may be reaching father time soon clearly spooked the Lightning to where they simply let him walk and replaced him while he was still under contract.

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Bennett is 29. In his prime. He could fall off a cliff at 34. He may not. Giving him a long term deal now may have consequences later but it's a win now move.
His impact isn't just points. While I doubt Zito isn't ignoring the impact years from now, he knows the core is set to win now. Bennett even at a 6-6.5mil cap hit 5 years down the road won't hurt as much, granted the economy won't crash again and stunt the cap.

Stamkos at 34 is still a great offensively player, but his 5v5 game wasn't what it used to be, as he has had several leg injuries and has slowed down. He was still deadly on the powerplay. Giving him another mulit year deal, especially when there are signs that he may be reaching father time soon clearly spooked the Lightning to where they simply let him walk and replaced him while he was still under contract.
I just don't understand what your point of comparing Stamkos and his "red flags" and trying to make some sort of comparison to Bennett when stamkos just put up 80 points. I think you are not using the term red flags correctly. Red flags aren't minor things.

I'm all for winning and I agree Bennett is a guy who helps win in the playoffs and sure win now sometimes means a longer term than you might want. I'm just not understanding who people are comparing Bennett to when they are bringing up paying him anywhere near $7+ on a long term contract. $6m like you are saying is still overpaid but I can see it as a large contributor with his to a couple great playoff runs and a Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad