Friedman: Bennett and Panthers open contract talks

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It’s going to be underwhelming if Zito locks all these guys in for 6+ years with NTCs and we only walk away with the one cup.

Zito is locking all these guys up because they are good players. Last 3 years we have a President 's Trophy, and two runs to the SCF with one victory. And 2023, they had depleted depth due to cap constraints, and were still learning Maurice's system for much of the regular season. Or it might have been 3 division titles in a row . They are proven winners.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Signing Bennett is how the Cats shut their window shut. They have the pieces to absorb his loss. Him and Ekblad need to go once their contracts expire.

Our whole identity stems from Bennett. Especially his hits in the playoffs, and just generally playing like a bull in a china shop.
It gets the whole team going. Lundell has been great in Barkov 's absence, but so has Bennett, and he doesn't have the luxury of playing with Reinhart. Tonight he had a nice goal, and made a great pass to Forsling for the OT winner, and was just all over the ice. He's on pace for his best regular season ever.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
It’s going to be underwhelming if Zito locks all these guys in for 6+ years with NTCs and we only walk away with the one cup.

We’ve earned the President’s Trophy, been to the Finals, and won the Cup the last 3 years and continue to be a top team in the NHL, I’m not sure what’s underwhelming. Sure, we’d all love to win multiple Cups and we’re all hoping for it, but that’s incredibly hard to do.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Just get the feeling Bennet is the level of player who will need to move on (as a UFA) to get the contract he deserves. He might stay with the Panthers but imo he signs with a new club July 1, 2025.

• Haha
Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Just get the feeling Bennet is the level of player who will need to move on (as a UFA) to get the contract he deserves. He might stay with the Panthers but imo he signs with a new club July 1, 2025.
Or, he realizes he’s on a strong contender and has played his best hockey since he’s been here, loved every second of it, and is willing to stay. He could move on, but kinda seems more like hope than an opinion.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
We’ve earned the President’s Trophy, been to the Finals, and won the Cup the last 3 years and continue to be a top team in the NHL, I’m not sure what’s underwhelming. Sure, we’d all love to win multiple Cups and we’re all hoping for it, but that’s incredibly hard to do.
You know you are doing pretty well when your fans start forgetting what it was like before you had good players.

There are lots of fans that would be happy as heck for a single cup and a super competitive team for a decade. Some haven't seen either in decades.

If Bennett wants top dollar I doubt he is in Florida, but if he wants to continue to be on a good team and still make decent money he can do that.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Or, he realizes he’s on a strong contender and has played his best hockey since he’s been here, loved every second of it, and is willing to stay. He could move on, but kinda seems more like hope than an opinion.
100% depends on Bennet if he chooses to leave a lot of money that will certainly be available on July 1 (AAV and term for total dollars) to take quite a bit less to stay with the Panthers. Bennet would be looking at 50 mil on the open market. The Panthers, with Barkov and Lundel in the C1 and C2 roles) will not come close to that. More likely they’re offering 5 x 5. There’s going to be a big gap.

Reactions: kerrabria

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
That's my point. We had a fantastic three seasons with this group. We did that while they were on mid-term deals. It worries me that we're setting the Top 6 in stone through their retirement.

Reactions: Fatass

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
That's my point. We had a fantastic three seasons with this group. We did that while they were on mid-term deals. It worries me that we're setting the Top 6 in stone through their retirement.
Smart clubs move on from players who helped win but are getting older. Stamkos is the perfect example and he was right next door. Tampa used the money Stamkos wanted (and deserved) to bring in a player more suited to help the club win now and down the road. Stamkos left and got his money in Nashville. Tampa rolls on and so would the Panthers without Bennet.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
But, it’s an elite top 6 that plays extremely well together and employs the system at high end level to that point that it got us our first Cup. IMO it’s incredibly wise to lock this group up and see how much damage they can do. The cap is going to continue to go up, Bob and Ek come off the books soon so that will free up more money for the D, I’m really not sure what the concern is.
You know you are doing pretty well when your fans start forgetting what it was like before you had good players.

There are lots of fans that would be happy as heck for a single cup and a super competitive team for a decade. Some haven't seen either in decades.

If Bennett wants top dollar I doubt he is in Florida, but if he wants to continue to be on a good team and still make decent money he can do that.
Agreed. As a day 1 fan, tbh honest much bigger fan after 96, I love this group and the work both the owners and management has done to get us here. Zito won’t go over the number and term he knows will work with the cap, and he’s earned our trust with it.
100% depends on Bennet if he chooses to leave a lot of money that will certainly be available on July 1 (AAV and term for total dollars) to take quite a bit less to stay with the Panthers. Bennet would be looking at 50 mil on the open market. The Panthers, with Barkov and Lundel in the C1 and C2 roles) will not come close to that. More likely they’re offering 5 x 5. There’s going to be a big gap.
Of course it’s 100% up to him, but Zito will bring all the positives I mentioned to him and he clearly wants to keep him here. Benny is current in the 2C spot and if Lundy wants it, he’ll have to nudge Bennett out. Right now, we have one of the top center groups in the league, which (as I’ve mentioned) is paying off with Barkov out for a long stretch. There’s no negatives to keep Bennett and him choosing to stay. Sure, less money, but how much less with no sales tax benefit? (Which is a benefit, but not as big as morons like to cry about. Have to get players here, build a team that makes them want to stay first.)

Smart clubs move on from players who helped win but are getting older. Stamkos is the perfect example and he was right next door. Tampa used the money Stamkos wanted (and deserved) to bring in a player more suited to help the club win now and down the road. Stamkos left and got his money in Nashville. Tampa rolls on and so would the Panthers without Bennet.
Stamkos and Bennett aren’t a good compatible at all. Different styles, different ages, etc. Tampas GM already had to correct one mistake in a departure by bringing McDonagh back, but he also overpaid guys like Sergachev who’s now on a different team. He overpaid a few guys, but locked in his core.

Reactions: ShootIt

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
The cup win bonus will be in effect. People love praising discounts people are able to get when you're a team who hasn't won anything.

But his agent is surely going to be pushing that cup bonus which is what gets the nmcs and higher boosts

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Bennett is probably very high in the list of “out-sized impact compared to counting stats” among all top 6 forwards in the NHL.

Zito will get this done. The flexibility of Barkov-Bennett-Lundell down the middle is undeniable. Add in your two star wingers locked up and the other 4 guys mixed into that top 9 group become extremely flexible…E-Rod, Luostar, Samo….you give yourself all kinds of line variations that are completely anchored by force multiplying tentpoles.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
But, it’s an elite top 6 that plays extremely well together and employs the system at high end level to that point that it got us our first Cup. IMO it’s incredibly wise to lock this group up and see how much damage they can do. The cap is going to continue to go up, Bob and Ek come off the books soon so that will free up more money for the D, I’m really not sure what the concern is.

Agreed. As a day 1 fan, tbh honest much bigger fan after 96, I love this group and the work both the owners and management has done to get us here. Zito won’t go over the number and term he knows will work with the cap, and he’s earned our trust with it.

Of course it’s 100% up to him, but Zito will bring all the positives I mentioned to him and he clearly wants to keep him here. Benny is current in the 2C spot and if Lundy wants it, he’ll have to nudge Bennett out. Right now, we have one of the top center groups in the league, which (as I’ve mentioned) is paying off with Barkov out for a long stretch. There’s no negatives to keep Bennett and him choosing to stay. Sure, less money, but how much less with no sales tax benefit? (Which is a benefit, but not as big as morons like to cry about. Have to get players here, build a team that makes them want to stay first.)

Stamkos and Bennett aren’t a good compatible at all. Different styles, different ages, etc. Tampas GM already had to correct one mistake in a departure by bringing McDonagh back, but he also overpaid guys like Sergachev who’s now on a different team. He overpaid a few guys, but locked in his core.
Bennett’s next contract will start at age 29. You actually believe he’s going to be playing 2C minutes, ahead of Lindell, as he ages into his 30’s?
IMO Zito will not allocate more than 5 per to Bennet with term of 5-6 years. There will be clubs though, on July 1, 2025 that will offer him 7x7.

Reactions: Jaska

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Bennett’s next contract will start at age 29. You actually believe he’s going to be playing 2C minutes, ahead of Lindell, as he ages into his 30’s?
IMO Zito will not allocate more than 5 per to Bennet with term of 5-6 years. There will be clubs though, on July 1, 2025 that will offer him 7x7.
What are you actually arguing here? I don’t give a shit if Zito gives him 10, he won’t, but that’s up to Bennett and Zito. Bennett knows he can get more in FA, he also knows what he has here by staying. He played a big part in Tkachuk wanting to come here as well.

I don’t think Lindell has a chance of playing 2C ahead of Benny, but Lundell does. If Bennett moves to 3C he moves to 3C, it’s important to have center depth, especially the depth we have.

Because he has a history of injury and his game is the type that falls apart at his age.
Not all players that play the way he does fall off, and he’s more intense in the playoffs than throughout the regular season. Further, last year he missed time due to Monty hitting him in the hand with a puck. He’s had injuries, but not to the level Ekblad has with his leg injuries.

Mar 26, 2010
He lives in Toronto in the offseason. Not saying he will come to the Leafs as I highly doubt he does.

If Florida wins the Cup again this season, he likely stays there.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
What are you actually arguing here? I don’t give a shit if Zito gives him 10, he won’t, but that’s up to Bennett and Zito. Bennett knows he can get more in FA, he also knows what he has here by staying. He played a big part in Tkachuk wanting to come here as well.

I don’t think Lindell has a chance of playing 2C ahead of Benny, but Lundell does. If Bennett moves to 3C he moves to 3C, it’s important to have center depth, especially the depth we have.

Not all players that play the way he does fall off, and he’s more intense in the playoffs than throughout the regular season. Further, last year he missed time due to Monty hitting him in the hand with a puck. He’s had injuries, but not to the level Ekblad has with his leg injuries.
So in your opinion a player should give up 20+ million to stay on a winning team?

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
So in your opinion a player should give up 20+ million to stay on a winning team?
IMO a player should do whatever tf they want. Bennett and Zito are in open negotiations atm. If he stays great, if he doesn’t, I wish him the best. Again, what’re you arguing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad