Ben Scrivezina

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
We can dream.

Have the Oilers ever had a trade pay such huge dividends? I can't think of one.

IMO the biggest steal they ever pulled off was getting Hamrlik for Steve Kelly, Jason Bonsignore and Bryan Marchment. Mush was OK, but the other two were hot garbage. Hammer was great for us.

Also, Tikkanen for Weight, though Tik was still good and helped the Rags.

Sloth Slothersons*

The Pronger trade (combined with Roloson) brought us within one game of the cup.

Acumen

Feb 10, 2014
Consistently solid goalies like him provide the guys with a lot of confidence, this is the most hope I've had for them turning it around in a long time.

fwiw I talked to a friend in Edmonton (I'm from Calgary) who said he talked to Hall at a bar early in the season, and he basically said they weren't going anywhere until they got a real goalie.

****** thing to say about a teammate to a stranger in a bar, but it brings the point home: the players aren't going to perform well if they're clutching their sticks every time the pucks in the defensive zone. It was much the same way in '06. MacT made the game plan "Block Everything" to account for Conkkanen, and when Rollie came in they were allowed to loosen up. To a man every player did.

Scrivens looks unbelievable. I'm chalking this transaction up in the "As a dedicated Oilers fan through all these years, I deserve this!" column.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
fwiw I talked to a friend in Edmonton (I'm from Calgary) who said he talked to Hall at a bar early in the season, and he basically said they weren't going anywhere until they got a real goalie.

****** thing to say about a teammate to a stranger in a bar, but it brings the point home: the players aren't going to perform well if they're clutching their sticks every time the pucks in the defensive zone. It was much the same way in '06. MacT made the game plan "Block Everything" to account for Conkkanen, and when Rollie came in they were allowed to loosen up. To a man every player did.

Scrivens looks unbelievable. I'm chalking this transaction up in the "As a dedicated Oilers fan through all these years, I deserve this!" column.

If Hall said that then all he did was speak the truth. They were going nowhere with DD and his side kick. Scrivens looks confident and steady. If he continues this kind of play and Mac T adds some help on the Blue line, I really feel like they will fight for a playoff spot next season.

I haven't said that for a long time......

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Can't wait to see Fasth in net. Hearing some experts say that he is likely better than Scrivens has me really excited about this goalie tandem we have now.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
If Hall said that then all he did was speak the truth.

Yeah, but still isn't a good idea to speak that way to essentially a stranger you met in a bar about your teammate. If true, it's a sign to me that Hall may not be the best teammate to have and certainly not a great leader.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Goaltending make a massive differnce. I have watched about half a dozen avs games this year, and their team is not much better then ours Goalie aside. I have seen Varlamov steal 4-5 games. DD cost us 10 points, I am really exited to go into next year with better tending. Hopefully we sort out our D, and....... hopefullly next year is the majical year turn it around.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
Can't wait to see Fasth in net. Hearing some experts say that he is likely better than Scrivens has me really excited about this goalie tandem we have now.

Awesome that people are even saying that Fasth is better than Scrivens. They should really push each other for playing time.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
There was a good reason The Ducks paid so much to get Fasth over here from Sweeden. GUy was phenomenal in the SEL. I really want to watch him play as well. I mean he was as good as Hiller last year. That says a lot.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah, but still isn't a good idea to speak that way to essentially a stranger you met in a bar about your teammate. If true, it's a sign to me that Hall may not be the best teammate to have and certainly not a great leader.

Is being a leader all about deluding yourself though? He wants to win and is being realistic about it. Its not like he made these comments public either....

I believe that he said it to. After a couple of games with Scrivens Hall had comments to the effect of that it is nice to have a solid goalie to build on

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Is being a leader all about deluding yourself though? He wants to win and is being realistic about it. Its not like he made these comments public either....

I believe that he said it to. After a couple of games with Scrivens Hall had comments to the effect of that it is nice to have a solid goalie to build on

I guess it depends on the audience. Saying it to a random dude in a bar that strikes up conversation is the same as commenting publicly in my opinion. If it was a conversation with a buddy that he had been around a few times before, then it's talking with a buddy about your work situation which isn't a big deal. It wasn't clear what the case was in this comment.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I guess it depends on the audience. Saying it to a random dude in a bar that strikes up conversation is the same as commenting publicly in my opinion. If it was a conversation with a buddy that he had been around a few times before, then it's talking with a buddy about your work situation which isn't a big deal. It wasn't clear what the case was in this comment.

Maybe he thought he was his buddy. did the the guy buy him a drink, introduce him to a girl??

lol. any way, talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill. guy spoke the truth.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
If there's one thing you can knock on him, it's his rebound control and placement of the puck towards the boards. That's it. That's the only thing.

He makes up for it in every other category. What an absolute beauty. I hope this type of play from a player carries over to next year, for once.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
the Oilers have played (mostly) like crap the past 11 gamess yet they're 7-2-2

mainly due to goaltending

if we didn't have Dubby blowing games in October, we might actually be .500 at the moment

dsi

Sep 13, 2005
Ottawa

Interestingly enough, back in 2005-06 season my friend ran into Mike Peca at an airport and chatted with him for a bit. Peca said basically the same thing, that if the team had a good goaltender they would be a much better team. That was already obvious to fans, but it was surprising for a player to give that kind of insight into how they felt about Conkkanen.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Interestingly enough, back in 2005-06 season my friend ran into Mike Peca at an airport and chatted with him for a bit. Peca said basically the same thing, that if the team had a good goaltender they would be a much better team. That was already obvious to fans, but it was surprising for a player to give that kind of insight into how they felt about Conkkanen.

I could see how it'd be frustrating for that squad. That was a very good team undermined by bad goaltending.

For Taylor Hall to complain about goaltending though? Hey bud maybe backcheck every now and then and help them out instead of flying the zone early like you so often do.

Oilerzfan

Feb 5, 2014
Edmonton
I could see how it'd be frustrating for that squad. That was a very good team undermined by bad goaltending.

For Taylor Hall to complain about goaltending though? Hey bud maybe backcheck every now and then and help them out instead of flying the zone early like you so often do.

It wasn't Hall's fault that DD pooped the bed on a every game played basis, nor was it his fault that DD apparently didn't take his conditioning too seriously in the summer before the season started.

TLDR; Don't blame Hall for what was obviously crap goaltending.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Scrivens can't win the Jennings this year, unless the Oilers leap frog 28 teams in goals against.

I think its individual GAs, he is top 3-4 in the league. But that will soon drop as he will continually see 35 shots a game

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I think its individual GAs, he is top 3-4 in the league. But that will soon drop as he will continually see 35 shots a game

No Jennings is a team trophy. Goalies who play 25 or more games for the team with the lowest goals against win the trophy so the trophy is often split between two goalies. Since he only played 19 for LA, he can't win it.

Well, he can't win it unless he plays 16 more games for Edmonton and Edmonton somehow moves from 29th to 1st in goals against despite being 73 goals against behind the best team. In other words, only if basically every game in the NHL from here on out resulted in a 5-4 score except the Oilers which would all pretty much need to be shutouts. He ain't winning it.

millpoo

Sep 26, 2006
ST. A

Ha, this is the problem with these boards. One guy has a candid conversation with an Oiler over a beer, reports it here to the board, and all of a sudden Taylor Hall is "complaining."

Yeah, his defensive game is cringe-worthy, but he shouldn't be condemned for sharing his thoughts over some hockey talk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad