Value of: Ben Chiarot

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
A 2nd rounder is the minimum here. He's actually better than David Savard, who fetched a first (with huge retention) last, and the Canadiens will absolutely retain here.
Savard was also a RHD which tends to be viewed as more valuable, and the most targeted RHD (maybe even defenseman in general) at the trade deadline. The only other relevant RHD that was traded at that time was Montour who got a 3rd.

This year there are lots of defenseman worth more than Chiarot who are upcoming UFAs. Leddy, Giordano, Lindholm, Rielly, etc. I'm not saying they all will be dealt or even shopped around, but there shouldn't be a bidding war for Chiarot just given the fact there's more options for teams to choose from.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
This year there are lots of defenseman worth more than Chiarot who are upcoming UFAs. Leddy, Giordano, Lindholm, Rielly, etc. I'm not saying they all will be dealt or even shopped around, but there shouldn't be a bidding war for Chiarot just given the fact there's more options for teams to choose from.

None of these players bring what Chiarot brings though... (Perception-wise, I mean)

Reactions: Vachon23

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
While I agree with that, I don't think you pay a first for what Chiarot brings.

Well... GM's tend to do this (and one did for a somewhat inferior player as soon as last season who happened to be a RHS but who also didn't play 25 minutes a game for a Cup Finalist).

I mean, it could go either way. A first a possible. A second with a more-than-decent-prospect would also be possible.

But the idea that a 2nd rounder is the maximum price that should be paid for Ben Chiarot-on-an-expiring deal is just not supported by reality.

I'm not saying he'll be worth what whichever team will pay for him.

Reactions: Theodore450

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
He's good in the playoffs. If all we can get for him is a very late second, that'd be very underwhelming. I'd hope for a 2nd + good prospect, 2 x 2nd or a 1st.
If you're very near the deadline and now you're destined to pick 25+, it's not a huge price to pay. There's a significant gap between a 18th overall pick and a 28th overall pick.

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
That is an extremely generous way of describing his role.

He was our 6th best dressed D-man who got dragged along by Dustin Byfuglien at his very best.
Idk I remember him being very good next to dustin. Some people hate him, but he’s a big guy that can actually pass the puck and not make stupids mistakes. There’s a lot of value in a dman you can actually trust in the Dzone for playoffs

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Again : he's better than Savard, who fetched a first. Marginally better, but still better. And of course the Habs will absolutely retain, why wouldn't they?

(I'm not saying he's worth a first : I'm saying he'll fetch a first or the equivalent.)
But what makes the Savard trade the golden standard?

Also what makes Chiarot better than Savard? Other than Habs fans claiming that after a 6 game sample size, where Savard is adjusting to a new team?

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I could see someone giving up a 2nd rounder for him and a team being very upset their GM paid a 2nd rounder for him.
Don't think a team will be mad to pay a 2nd for Chariot in the playoff.. maybe fans who doesn't really know hockey but not GM/Coach/players who understand how valuable he can be in playoff

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

Also what makes Chiarot better than Savard? Other than Habs fans claiming that after a 6 game sample size, where Savard is adjusting to a new team?
Savard has a slightly better shot and better hockey sense, but Chiarot is a little meaner and skates a bit better. They are very similar defenseman however. Value should be very close considering the Habs won't have any trouble retaining if necessary (his deal is already pretty cheap at 3.5M per, 50% would bring it at 1.75 which is a massive bargain). Guy player 25+ min a night on a team that shut down some of the best offfensive teams in the league

Brixton

Jul 16, 2021
Idk I remember him being very good next to dustin. Some people hate him, but he’s a big guy that can actually pass the puck and not make stupids mistakes. There’s a lot of value in a dman you can actually trust in the Dzone for playoffs
You obviously didn’t watch a lot of him when he was with the Jets. The only thing he was good at was panicking and icing the puck like it was on fire, when no pressure was being applied at all. You make it sound like he was playing with Buff because he deserved it, when the real reason was Buff could cover up the weakest dman on the team. Buff could have done played with a pylon. That doesn’t make the pylon worth a 1st round pick.

Reactions: Theodore450

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005

Because it's the most recent trade involving a very comparable player.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
You make it sound like he was playing with Buff because he deserved it, when the real reason was Buff could cover up the weakest dman on the team. Buff could have done played with a pylon. That doesn’t make the pylon worth a 1st round pick.

You make it sound like Chiarot is the same player he used to be... which he isn't.

Again, the whole point is : he'll fetch a first or very close to that. Doesn't mean he's worth it.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
i could see chariot and a 2022 4th for a 2022 2nd and a 2023 2nd . acquiring team gets back a pick to soften the hit of two seconds.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Easily gets a late 1st at the trade deadline

Big Top 4 physical and mean dman is something every team would love to add for a playoff run. The fact that at 50% retained he costs only 1.75 M and that he played in the top pairing of a team that went to the Stanley Cup final makes him even more attractive to other teams.

Reactions: Just Linda

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bbinz won't trade him for anything less then a first. I think he wants to resign him so why take him away from his family for a trash offer. Yeah, seconds and thirds are trash offers.

Last edited:

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Big, physical, defensively reliable LHD? I want him in Florida. I was impressed with his playoff performance last year despite knowing nothing about him.

How's his skating/mobility?

His skating is good for a guy of his size but he is still not a quick guy by any means.
However I believe playing him next to Savard or Weber who are also slow physical Ds makes it look worse than it is.

What a does not do well : takes stupid penalties sometimes (when being outpaced), has a weak shot, is not a great puck mover and does not play a good transition game.

what he does well : strong presence in front of his net, makes it hard for opponents to get rebounds, plays hard against the board so that it is harder for the offense to dump without paying a price.

In terms of value, it is hard to say but in terms of price I think given Savard next year, he gets a 1st at the TDL with 50% retention IF a team thinks he makes the difference between a Conference final and winning the stanley cup. This is always what increases price at TDL.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
last year ppl were a little more liberal with 1sts cause of the lack of scouting, but outside of a pandemic year (most) GMs have gotten wise to their value

I'd be hard-pressed to pay more than a 2nd for him.... a 2nd+ if i had to

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
3rd round pick at the deadline. That's the typical price/cost.

It's 2021, not 2018 anymore. Chiarot has been a very solid top 4D with the Habs with better usage than what he got with the Jets. His playoff performance in the trenches is something that NHL GM are not turning a blind eye to.

Not sure about a 1st but it could be two 2nd's or a 2nd and prospect.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Savard was also a RHD which tends to be viewed as more valuable, and the most targeted RHD (maybe even defenseman in general) at the trade deadline. The only other relevant RHD that was traded at that time was Montour who got a 3rd.

* Leafs didn't trade JRV or Bozak due to playoff drive and they won't be trading Rielly.

* Lindholm might get to UFA or the Ducks extend him. If he does get shopped, he will be a prime target.

* Giordano is 38 and not sure teams consider him a solution at this stage. He would be considered a Chiaort type in the physical areas.

* Leddy? Not the same type and depends on the target.

Comes down to circumstance. I can see Giordano and Chiarot being good targets for teams who have a puck mover and looking for a physical guy to pair him with. If the Habs make Chiaort available, he will get lots of interest. I'd say two 2nd rounders and not sure if a 1st is offered but it would come down to how many teams really think he fits their needs.

Imagine Chiarot with Barrie with the Oilers?

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Of course all the Habs fans think he'll get a 1st

If my team dealt a 1st round pick for Chiarot I'd be livid. 30 years old, 0 offense, and underwhelming defense (imo)
No, not all of them.

It will depend on supply and demand, but I think a 1st is highly unlikely.

Savard is a RHD, which are more pricey, he likely had a better reputation than Chiarot at the time of the trade and Tampa was very likely to go far, thus making it a very late 1st round pick. These conditions will be difficult to replicate.

That said, something around two 2nds would be a reasonable starting point for negotiations, with the actual return, again, depending on the supply and demand at the deadline.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

What makes Chiarot have value is how he performed in the playoffs in series wins against the Pens, Leafs, Jets, and Knights. He was a big part of limiting other teams from getting to the front of the net and along the walls down low. He's a force and he skates very well for a big man. Way better skating than Savard.

If anybody thinks he has 3rd round value, you don't know who he is. Not sure about a 1st cause that's rare to acquire but it could very well be two 2nd rounders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad