Bedrooms in Olympic Village (cozy) (Read Mod Post #466)

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Yeah, and none of those teams will ever come close to filling those capacities.

Stadiums like Kazan, Otkrytie and most are only 45k. Spartak might not sell out every game, but nicer and newer stadiums lead to increased attendance and improved profits for clubs.

Not sure I see much difference in turning the ski jumping sites etc into training centers from football stadiums that will be used regularly.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Only 45k stadiums would require even the most popular teams to improve attendance by only 100-150% :) even if capacity gets reduced somehow to ~80% of what it will be during the championship.
The difference is that we need and don't have ski jumping training sites as opposed to huge stadiums that we can't fill.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
Believe it or not, the Vancouver Olympics were heavily criticized by the taxpayers of Vancouver and BC for their expense. The majority of the population thought they were too expensive. This when their total cost was only 7 billion, few major venues had to be constructed, and the infrastructure improvements included in the costs (sea to sky highway, Canada line, Vancouver Exhibition centre etc) were sorely needed anyway.

In the end, those games broke even...and you still have use of the major transportation improvements that were needed and all of the venues have been repurposed (or were pre-existing).

Should Canada or someplace in Europe (i.e., Switzerland or Austria) have a permanent Olympic village that could be used for other purposes to make money between Games? I feel sorry for the citizens of Russia who will get stuck with the bill. I don't see what will get done with all of the venues.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Before crap about the bobsledder getting stuck in the bathroom, Joel Ward had it happen to him in Dallas.

ward-trapped-in-bathroom1.jpg

mikko1995

May 30, 2010
In the end, those games broke even...and you still have use of the major transportation improvements that were needed and all of the venues have been repurposed (or were pre-existing).

Should Canada or someplace in Europe (i.e., Switzerland or Austria) have a permanent Olympic village that could be used for other purposes to make money between Games? I feel sorry for the citizens of Russia who will get stuck with the bill. I don't see what will get done with all of the venues.

I think most of the venues are movable structures so they can move them to other parts of Russia where they need them.

BiggestLeafsFanEVER*

I for one am not mad, on the contrary I'm enjoying the debacle. :nod:
anigif_enhanced-3183-1391791234-2.gif

I just hope that there is no terrorist activity.

imo it was too bad it didn't open bc it looked cool what they were tryign to do

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
No way :laugh:

In Russia, you need to get kick-started by government in many cases because private investors in many cases face too many uncertainties to risk too much of their own money until the infrastructure is built and they see that they are going to get returns on their money within a reasonable time period.

I took a really interesting class in law school about development. Countries can't attract investors if they don't have stable institutions like courts, police, government. They need to be confident that things like contracts will be enforced by the courts, that they won't be operating at the mercy of corrupt officials, that people won't get thrown into jail for no reason, and if they make an agreement with the government it won't be changed on a whim. They're not going to get much in the way of private investment until that is done.

TML FTW*

BgD4297IEAAfZCW.jpg:large

from a national post journalist's twitter :laugh:

I for one am not mad, on the contrary I'm enjoying the debacle. :nod:

I don't think the Olympics are a debacle at all and even if things went badly, why would you enjoy that?

Dynamo81

Mar 21, 2008
Aussie in Moscow
I took a really interesting class in law school about development. Countries can't attract investors if they don't have stable institutions like courts, police, government. They need to be confident that things like contracts will be enforced by the courts, that they won't be operating at the mercy of corrupt officials, that people won't get thrown into jail for no reason, and if they make an agreement with the government it won't be changed on a whim. They're not going to get much in the way of private investment until that is done.
Russia's case is very unique and unless you live and work within Russian infrastructure development it is difficult to understand. I am a Westerner with a Western education and it was only after working in Russia in my second year (7 years now) did I fully understand how things operate in the country. The investment climate is improving a lot though. In 2013 Russia was in third place in the UN's foreign direct investment ranking: Foreign Direct Investment inflows to Russia jumped by 83% to $94bn from 2012.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
In regards to the $50 billion price tag. The road from Adler to Sochi is an elevated highway going for 20 odd km or tunnels and bridges. Can only imagine the price tag for that.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
They criticized everything at the start of Vancouver 2010 as well, it's cause the reporters get there early and have nothing to do for a couple of days.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
They criticized everything at the start of Vancouver 2010 as well, it's cause the reporters get there early and have nothing to do for a couple of days.

well, if you think about it, if they say "wow, everything is cool here", noone will really pay much attention to them...now if you create some controversy, you will get the views and the traffic...so go figure

Tissotti

Apr 30, 2011
Helsinki

Sums it up quite perfectly.
There are problems, but lets enjoy it as a sport event that it is.

This is some of the basics I remember from entrance exams to read business in uni back in the day.

Lack of better word in English you could call it social learning and it basically boils into a trust inside the society. It's something common with all of the top developed countries, but studies have found that it doesn't happen automatically with the increase of a income and lack of it hinders the growth at certain level. It also affects how evenly wealth is distributed, lets say in a country with vast natural resources. Building that trust is something that wont happen in a generation or two.

Last edited:

MeticulouslyDishevel

Oct 23, 2012
Russians have their own rooms, which is exactly what I would do if I was in charge of team Russia.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 32m
Anton Belov says Russian team players mostly have their own rooms; one guy to a room. Different than other teams who have 2 guys per room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad