OT: Bears & NFL Talk 101

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
With the trade deadline fast approaching and with at least a couple teams already resigned to be sellers (Cleveland and Vegas), and with Poles unafraid to make deadline deals - here's a hypothetical - If Poles has the opportunity to acquire a difference making d-lineman or a difference making o-lineman - which would you do?

For me - as much as acquiring a Maxx Crosby or Miles Garrett would take the Bears defense to the next level - I think the o-line is the bigger need ... eh, I think I'd still pull the trigger on Garrett or Crosby.

It would be temping as hell, especially if you can sign either Crosby or Garret to an extension. If the main piece was the Carolina 2nd rounder I think I'd do it. Then you have the no brainer decision to use our 2025 1st rounder on the offensive line.

My only concern moving forward for this season is can the offensive line be good enough to give Caleb enough time to win a playoff game. I'm not sure we are there yet, but I also just don't see any offensive lineman worth trading for being available in the middle of the season.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
If he can acquire a difference making O-lineman, he should do that, no doubt. I don't think there is one out there for sale. I saw something about Teller out of the Browns, but I think that's regular Twitter nonsense. Having a good O-line is just too valuable to sell off a good player on that line and risk blowing it up.

The D-line, I don't really see them investing both trade value and the necessary cap space in an elite edge unless we know beyond the shadow of a doubt that Williams is that dude. I'm one of the biggest believers in Williams out there, but I don't know if he will take 10 weeks, or one full season, or more to get to the point where it's time to load up to contend.

I could see them investing a lower pick (late day 3) in a space eater over DT Williams or Cowart, since the D gets LEAKY (especially on runs) as soon as the 1st unit takes a break. I, unfortunately, think Zacch Pickens might be trending for bust territory. He didn't look good in preseason in year two, and then got injured. And he was never really good in the run game in college. Luckily, space eaters and runs defending DTs are cheap.

Personally, I'm hoping they do little more than pick up some D-line depth before the deadline. Keep the 1st rounder and both 2nd rounders, save the cap space, throw an overpay on Trey Smith after the season, and go 2x O-line and 1x edge in some order the first three picks in the draft.
Yeah, no one is trading a good offensive lineman for a mid round pick. Chicago will have three picks in the top 45, and I fully expect to use two of them on offensive lineman.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
If he can acquire a difference making O-lineman, he should do that, no doubt. I don't think there is one out there for sale. I saw something about Teller out of the Browns, but I think that's regular Twitter nonsense. Having a good O-line is just too valuable to sell off a good player on that line and risk blowing it up.

The D-line, I don't really see them investing both trade value and the necessary cap space in an elite edge unless we know beyond the shadow of a doubt that Williams is that dude. I'm one of the biggest believers in Williams out there, but I don't know if he will take 10 weeks, or one full season, or more to get to the point where it's time to load up to contend.

I could see them investing a lower pick (late day 3) in a space eater over DT Williams or Cowart, since the D gets LEAKY (especially on runs) as soon as the 1st unit takes a break. I, unfortunately, think Zacch Pickens might be trending for bust territory. He didn't look good in preseason in year two, and then got injured. And he was never really good in the run game in college. Luckily, space eaters and runs defending DTs are cheap.

Personally, I'm hoping they do little more than pick up some D-line depth before the deadline. Keep the 1st rounder and both 2nd rounders, save the cap space, throw an overpay on Trey Smith after the season, and go 2x O-line and 1x edge in some order the first three picks in the draft.

Yeah - I know ... but the thought (fantasy) of Miles Garrett lining up at right DE gives me visions :nod:

Reactions: Romang67 and GIADF

GIADF

Aug 17, 2024
Yeah - I know ... but the thought (fantasy) of Miles Garrett lining up at right DE gives me visions :nod:

He's still under contract for two more years with no guaranteed money, I believe. I don't have a clue what the cost would realistically be but if it doesn't start with our first round pick, I'd be all over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad