OT: Bears & NFL Talk 100

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Ya don't say? But yes, according to some big brains on here, the problem is Williams, and not the fact that he literally has like zero protection from his OL. I've said it already, but this OL might be the worst I've ever seen in 30+ years of watching NFL football. They're historic levels of bad.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Ya don't say? But yes, according to some big brains on here, the problem is Williams, and not the fact that he literally has like zero protection from his OL. I've said it already, but this OL might be the worst I've ever seen in 30+ years of watching NFL football. They're historic levels of bad.

Far from as bad as the line Cutty had in year 2 (Webb + Omiyale was the worst tackle duo I have ever seen in Chicago)

Add in Martz no audible/7 step drop BS and it was a complete disaster that only had some success because of Cutler/Forte talent

Reactions: Crow

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Far from as bad as the line Cutty had in year 2 (Webb + Omiyale was the worst tackle duo I have ever seen in Chicago)

Add in Martz no audible/7 step drop BS and it was a complete disaster that only had some success because of Cutler/Forte talent
The play calling does Williams no service here, either.

The OL is still historically bad.

He's pressured on 38 of 39 attemps, and still has 23 completions? Yeah, he's not the problem.

Reactions: Pez68 and Giovi

Praetorian Caps

May 15, 2018
Stoppable force meets movable object for running game next Sunday. The Colts have allowed almost 500 yards on the ground through their first two games. The Bears have rushed for 155 yards through their first two games, 59 of which came from the QB.

Have to be a get-right game.
One of my brothers is a Colts fan. I told him I have a feeling The Bears may be their get right game? 🤢

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Can we talk about how NFL offenses have really struggled this year to start? It can’t be this topic of two high safety that everybody wants to talk about now because it’s not like two high was invented last year.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I realize PHI has a great oline, but man, I would have loved to see the Bears having signed either Saquon or Josh Jacobs in the off-season and not Swift.

Caleb Williams was 23 for 37, saying he was missing open receivers all night isn’t true. Stroud was 23 for 36 for comparison. The o line was terrible though. The fact that swift is averaging 2 yards per carry over 2 games is horrific. You can’t win like that
Multiple things can be true at once. The OLine is one of the worst I've ever seen. Swift is not getting it done. Caleb missed a lot of throws.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
2 things might have swung the game in our favor:

1. Khalil Herbert. Period
2. Sticking with the short to medium passing game THAT WAS FRICKEN WORKING FOR YOU!!! Why stray from that? When you can establish that THEN it'll back up the defense for those bigger attempts.

I am very happy with the Bears defense. They're only going to gel together more during the season.
Herbert must get more reps. Staple Everett to the bench and utilize Kmet more. Keenan Allen has to be on the field.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Can we talk about how NFL offenses have really struggled this year to start? It can’t be this topic of two high safety that everybody wants to talk about now because it’s not like two high was invented last year.
I think football is just on the decline, with less and less kids playing, and less talent entering the league. You're going to see offenses continue to struggle going forward. It seems like everyone has figured out how easy it is to pressure the QB, since there are half as many NFL caliber offensive linemen in the NFL as needed.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I think football is just on the decline, with less and less kids playing, and less talent entering the league. You're going to see offenses continue to struggle going forward. It seems like everyone has figured out how easy it is to pressure the QB, since there are half as many NFL caliber offensive linemen in the NFL as needed.
Quarterback position has declined a bit also.

Reactions: Pez68

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
Quarterback position has declined a bit also.
It’s declined significantly in the past decade. I wonder how much it has to do with the limited amount of practice time during the week/training camp these days.

I feel like the first 5-6 weeks of the season are essentially the “pre-season” games for the starters at this point. After that is when you can actually know the choke points on a team.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
My soul hurts (pun intended) watching Philly's o-line. A first ballot HoF center retires and the backup steps in and they still dominate. And the Bears haven't been able to field an effective o-line in ages.

Paul Allen

Oct 24, 2011
Los Angeles
My soul hurts (pun intended) watching Philly's o-line. A first ballot HoF center retires and the backup steps in and they still dominate. And the Bears haven't been able to field an effective o-line in ages.
Indeed. It’s wild seeing a QB have time and space to throw out there, and not get buckled by stupid penalties.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
It’s declined significantly in the past decade. I wonder how much it has to do with the limited amount of practice time during the week/training camp these days.

I feel like the first 5-6 weeks of the season are essentially the “pre-season” games for the starters at this point. After that is when you can actually know the choke points on a team.
Combination of collective bargaining and what they do and don't see in practice and camp and not doing much of anything in pre-season. And couple that with QBs coming in and starting as 22 year old rookies in year 1. That never used to happen. They used to sit behind vets and learn (Rodgers with Favre, Love with Rodgers, etc.). They were talking on the Score today about how CJ Stroud has been the only QB to go right from college to pros and have a winning record in year 1. Couple that with the fact that bad teams draft QBs with high picks and the league is all about passing now and not about running. So, not surprised we are seeing what we are seeing. The league is effectively setting up guys in the most important position in sports, to fail.

Montez Sweat thru 2 games

2 tackles
0 TFL
0 Sacks
0 QB Hits
0 QB Hurries

Going back to last year he now has gone 5 games without a sack
Pretty crazy when you think how solid the D has been through 2 games. The Seattle cast off guy has had more of an impact. I did see the one pressure last night where Sweat's helmet came off...other than that, he's been invisible.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Horrible drop by Barkley leads to Eagles settling for FG instead of ending game

Falcons got ball back and Cousins has quickly moved them inside 10

Cousins throws TD to Lofton with :34 left

Wow

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I can never decide whether the Eagles is the worst good/great team in the league, or a bad team with a good number of moments of brilliance.

Same with Hurts, really.
I feel like it's a combination of the two high safety shrinking the field, dearth of quality O-linemen (especially compared to improving D-lines), and coverage that takes away much YAC.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Did you miss the multiple times he quit on routes? His coaches are going to have some words for him about those
No I didn't miss those but he came up big when it mattered.

On the 3rd down throw, that is essentially why you run it there. Obviously if they get the first down the game is over. Clock is more important, though. I still don't think that throwing it was the right play. I think you probably run it twice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad