Pre-Game Talk: Battle of Alberta on HNIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Didn't realize we start the year with a 6 game home stand.

Cripes. These guys have been home all summer with their wives. Let them out of the house!

:sarcasm:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Oilers have had Markstrom # since Canucks. If they play the exact opposite as the first period against Canucks they will win..
Yep, 30 games played career - 3GAA and 0.901 Sv%. And this is just the regular season... Yikes

1665767488180.png

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Its only one game and we won, but the Oilers last season got complacent winning games that way as well. The Oil were outplayed overall. I didn't like the lineup. I'm liking it less for this one. One of the chief problems first game was having limited hit energy players in the lineup. Both the team on ice and the crowd were strangely silent. There was just no emotion in first period.

So that I keep wondering what is keeping Nemo and Kostin out of the lineup. They are two instant solutions to amp the games a bit more. Nucks are one of the physically weakest teams in the league and we were outhit in game 1. Flames will finish checks. This isn't the right lineup imo. Why is Malone even here? Now Broberg? I don't get it.

I think part of the issue against the Nucks is they played a pure trap against us. The trap has pretty much been kryptonite for the Oilers since McDavid joined the team until Woodcroft shook out some of those issues in the second half of the season last year. Up until the 3rd it seemed that they pretty much just forgot how to play against it (the d-men as a group basically being unable to pass the puck through the first half of the game didn't help either).

I'm more optimistic against the Flames structure than the Nucks to be honest. We made a living countering off of their aggressive forecheck last year and we'll be in a position to do that again.

Feb 9, 2013
If the Flames win, their fans will completely forget about the playoffs (if they haven't already).

Don't give them the chance, Oil.
I think the Flames are going to have something to prove after getting swept (more or less) in the playoffs ... hopefully the Oilers are ready.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
It's like they build a roster just by finding the most unlikable players available.

Whats with all the Singh hate? I like Jack Michaels better, but I haven't found anything I really dislike about Singh, in fact, I don't really notice his performance (which, compared to some play by play, is just fine by me).
Singh is pretty noticeable in being the complete opposite of homer when it comes to Oilers telecasts he likes everybody else. So that every Nucks play last game was expressed with excitement.

When the Oilers make plays its like "Oh the Oilers just did something there" as he's talking about the Nucks juggernaut. Once you notice his tendencies in this area its hard to not notice.

I was somebody willing to give him a chance and his broadcasts have turned me off. Not sure what he has against the Oilers. I mean contrast with how guys like Harry Neale or Bob Cole or Howie Meeker would call the Oilers. They all loved them and it was evident. Great commentators usually make a deal about great players or teams. Singh doesn't.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting

So the lines.

Hyman - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Kane - Draisaitl - Yamo
Holloway - Nuge - Foegele
Malone - McLeod - Ryan

Interesting

I feel sorry for McLeod. The guy has jets and he's playing with two anchors. Mcleod is a puck possession player that carries the puck filthy and gains zones like he's Connor McDavid lite. McLeod has no finish to speak of but he should be made into a third on a better line. We're completely misusing this player. Any skills he has skating puck up ice are completely wasted. Plus he'll get limited minutes.

Nuge better up his game. He needs to have more jam in this one.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Singh is pretty noticeable in being the complete opposite of homer when it comes to Oilers telecasts he likes everybody else. So that every Nucks play last game was expressed with excitement.

When the Oilers make plays its like "Oh the Oilers just did something there" as he's talking about the Nucks juggernaut. Once you notice his tendencies in this area its hard to not notice.

I was somebody willing to give him a chance and his broadcasts have turned me off. Not sure what he has against the Oilers. I mean contrast with how guys like Harry Neale or Bob Cole or Howie Meeker would call the Oilers. They all loved them and it was evident. Great commentators usually make a deal about great players or teams. Singh doesn't.
I thought I was watching the Canucks intersquad game.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

I’ve heard that he was actually an Oilers fan growing up so maybe he’s way over compensating to not seem bias but it’s when he’s calling a game it’s very noticeable, he definitely gets more excited for opponents but if McDavid or the Oilers do something positive it barely registers with him. When the Oilers score he sounds like his dog just died.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I feel sorry for McLeod. The guy has jets and he's playing with two anchors. Mcleod is a puck possession player that carries the puck filthy and gains zones like he's Connor McDavid lite. McLeod has no finish to speak of but he should be made into a third on a better line. We're completely misusing this player. Any skills he has skating puck up ice are completely wasted. Plus he'll get limited minutes.

Nuge strikes me as a guy that you have to ride hard constantly to get him to keep his feet moving. When he's on his toes he's effective, when he's standing around he is a turnover machine.

Sometimes he gets into a mode where he turns the puck over pretty much every time he gets possession 5v5. That was the Nuck game.

I wonder if that's so McDavid shoots more?

That's a good theory. McDavid passed up a ton of looks in the first half of the game.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018

Surprised no comment on the Draisaitl-Yamamoto reunion ;)

I do like trying Kane with Draisaitl, but I'd like to see a Kane-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi pairing. Give McDavid Yamamoto (who works better with McD) and Hyman.

Oh well, the practice lines never last more than five minutes in a real game anyways...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
DCup hunting
Surprised no comment on the Draisaitl-Yamamoto reunion ;)

I do like trying Kane with Draisaitl, but I'd like to see a Kane-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi pairing. Give McDavid Yamamoto (who works better with McD) and Hyman.

Oh well, the practice lines never last more than five minutes in a real game anyways...
I'm trying to resist.

Its like brussel sprouts is on the menu every day. You'll learn to love Brussel Sprouts, you will....f*** I hate em. Fortunately my wife doesn't like them either and they never enter our fridge. But when I was a kid it was as if he we had a brussel sprout factory in the back yard. Smelly f***ing things. eat your Yama sprouts. no, no no....

I got sidetracked..

Yeah, you know what I like in the bolded line. Of course it never lands there.

Reactions: Duke74

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

I agree in that I think it's important to make sure he gets his share of Ice time. There's something about him that I enjoy watching. I think maybe there's even more there than what we've seen so far.

This is going to be a tough game as Calgary is definitely going to bring it big time. I could see it playing out similarly to the Vancouver game to be honest. We go down early and get overwhelmed before getting our bearings and turning it around. The lines not lasting past the first period. I think that's why RNH is at Center for now.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Kane will keep Kadri at bay. Not sure if we will win because hockey but I’m feeling confident that we will show up.
Puljujarvi is an elite potential sniper now in the game so he better snipe some goals

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its only one game and we won, but the Oilers last season got complacent winning games that way as well. The Oil were outplayed overall. I didn't like the lineup. I'm liking it less for this one. One of the chief problems first game was having limited hit energy players in the lineup. Both the team on ice and the crowd were strangely silent. There was just no emotion in first period.

So that I keep wondering what is keeping Nemo and Kostin out of the lineup. They are two instant solutions to amp the games a bit more. Nucks are one of the physically weakest teams in the league and we were outhit in game 1. Flames will finish checks. This isn't the right lineup imo. Why is Malone even here? Now Broberg? I don't get it.
I think Broberg is a better prospect than Nemo personally (he should be - we spent A high pick on him) but I don’t think Broberg outplayed him in the preseason so I personally don’t understand the decision to call up Broberg first. Broberg isn’t ready, which is fine.I think it sends the wrong message personally.

I have to wonder if maybe agents are involved or Holland made some kind of promise he would get time. Or maybe something in practice related. Doesn’t make much sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad