OT: Baseball is apparently viable - The Champions 2015 Inaugural Season Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Once the LRT is finished, RCGT Park will be the best connected sports venue in Ottawa to good public transit.

Stop with this car first mindset.

and maybe when that happens there will actually be viable baseball at that park

of course I will still have to drive my car. drive to the bus park and ride, then take a bus, then transfer to a train. it's an awesome system really for several billion dollars :cry:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
With the new pedestrian bridge, it's already on the Transitway so there should be no issues getting to the stadium. Parking might be an issue on opening day, but I suspect that there will be more than enough parking for most games.

Jorge Garcia

Dec 9, 2004
This.

There's more than enough to do in the summer than pay to watch guys who I've never heard of play baseball. Had it been a feeder team to the Jays, then I would have cared as I do like the Jays.

Instead, the city fell flat on their face kicking the FatCats out and promising a AA/AAA team and instead got us this washout league with a stupid team name to boot.

Sorry, I'm not cheering for any team that calls itself "The Champions". Incredibly, utterly stupid name.

I thought that was kind of strange too. Like the Senators changing their name to the Ottawa Stanley Cup Winners.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Nope.

As a former avid Expos fan and STH to the Lynx; I believe that most hardcore baseball fans feel the same way I do -- the strike in 94 and subsequent departure of the Expos has left me supremely disinterested in baseball.

Sounds like the correct answer was on the first reply.

Canada in general is just not into baseball any more. Triple A baseball exited Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver as well as Ottawa. A small network of A and AA baseball teams have left town. The Jays are decades from when they drew 4 million fans. Meanwhile the CFL is much more viable overall than any baseball venture in Canada unless you frame the issue as Argos vs. Blue Jays.

I hope baseball succeeds in Ottawa but I won't miss it if it doesn't.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Ottawa Champions played their first 2 games over the weekend, exhibition games against Trois-Rivieres Aigles, losing 2-1 in Trois -Riviere and winning 9-4 at Raymond Chabot Grant Thornton Park, (in Ottawa)

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Just home from watching the "Champions" beat Sussex Miners 8-1 in first game for the champs, good attendance 3876, in a very cold and windy stadium. Parking was'nt as bad as i thought it would be, right across the street from the stadium in the office building $5.00 and we arrived at 7:10 no problem. The official parking lot was full.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Had a really good time at the home opener despite the cold. They put in a brand new video board and the crowd was loud and into it. The Champs played incredibly well for a first game as well. Top notch plays.

littleD

I think the club forgot to renew their domain name...

Went to the game last night, but only lasted six innings. Didn't dress warm enough at all. Fun times.

Video screen is kind of tiny, can't remember looking at it other than to check who was up, or to spot the count on the scoreboard. Did they show replays on the screen?

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa

Went to the game last night, but only lasted six innings. Didn't dress warm enough at all. Fun times.

Video screen is kind of tiny, can't remember looking at it other than to check who was up, or to spot the count on the scoreboard. Did they show replays on the screen?

It's a little on the small side but it's amazing they have one at all. A first for Ottawa baseball.

They showed a few replays I think; mainly they used it for ads and to profile players etc...

I'm happier with it than without it for sure.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
Tell us more details about the game please! What were the concessions like, how were the upgrades to the venue, etc.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Tell us more details about the game please! What were the concessions like, how were the upgrades to the venue, etc.

Overall not bad at all. Concession lines weren't too bad, beer was cheap (relatively), the new video board is a cool addition which makes things feel 'bigger league' so to speak. New sound system it looks like. Seats haven't been refreshed and are getting a bit creaky.

Loads of new Champions signage and stuff around the concourses. Good selection of merch (sweaters, shirts, hats, miscellaneous).

Beer selection is awesome. Lots of craft beer; Kitchissippi is cheaper than Coors Light!!!!

A nice new sports bar is built into the concourse area with lot's of TVs showing other sports.

Overall a much much better experience than previously. Also very easy to get to now that it's been connected to the transitway via the sky bridge.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009

From what i was told the website was hacked, also told that the restaurant was'nt open because they dont have a liquor licence, so not sure how they were selling beer in the stands.
It will be interesting to see what the size of the crowds next few games will be. Also i found the video screen very hard to read, to small.

The website is up and running now.

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
From what i was told the website was hacked, also told that the restaurant was'nt open because they dont have a liquor licence, so not sure how they were selling beer in the stands.
It will be interesting to see what the size of the crowds next few games will be. Also i found the video screen very hard to read, to small.

The website is up and running now.

By restaurant I assume you mean the in-stadium bar? It was open last night.

Also beers of all kind were flowing so no clue where you heard that.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
No the restaurant at the top of the stadium, next to the press area, above the suites understand it was not open for the public as a private group had booked it but there was no booze up there, only from what i was told by a reliable person.
I did not check out the concessions but they looked busy when we came in around 7:15

Final Champions win 4-1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
SUS 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 4 1
OTT 0 0 0 0 4 0 0 0 0 4 12 2

Last edited:

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
That Stadium would make a great Concert venue! :yo:

I think they'll be cautious with that. I remember when the Fat Cats were there, they held the Escapade music festival at the stadium and it really ruined the grass for a long time. If they only use the stadium seating it might work ok.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
I think they'll be cautious with that. I remember when the Fat Cats were there, they held the Escapade music festival at the stadium and it really ruined the grass for a long time. If they only use the stadium seating it might work ok.

Can confirm that the baseball team is the primary tenant, and takes priority for the duration of the ball season.

2-0 to start the year - not sure if this team is that good (20+ hits in two games), or their opposition Sussex is just that bad. Sussex started a guy on opening day who had a 7.40 ERA last season in the Can-Am League. :help::help::help:

FuriousSenator

Mar 18, 2011
Ottawa
Can confirm that the baseball team is the primary tenant, and takes priority for the duration of the ball season.

2-0 to start the year - not sure if this team is that good (20+ hits in two games), or their opposition Sussex is just that bad. Sussex started a guy on opening day who had a 7.40 ERA last season in the Can-Am League. :help::help::help:

I think a bit of both. We certainly have the talent (our two top pitchers started games in the MLB) plus have a great experienced manager in Hal Lanier.

I'm very excited to see what this team can do.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

Valid point!

This is getting back to the "City that fun forgot"! Summer is short, Buildings sitting idle most of the week instead of renting out venues is not one of Ottawa's strong points.

I know it's easier said than done, but even the Shania concert coming to the stables @ Corkstwon Road this summer is under fire because it is not zoned properly.

Uuugh! :rant:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Champions down 6-0 after top of 3rd, current score 6-6 after 4

Last edited:

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Then down 8-6, then tied 8-8 and now ahead 9-8 top of 9th

Final Champs win 9-8

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E
SUS 0 5 1 0 0 2 0 0 0 8 9 1
OTT 0 0 1 5 0 0 2 1 0 9 13 2