Bartkowski hit on Gionta (No Supplemental Discipline)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
No its not, its on the player to be aware of his surroundings and to actually have his head up when trying to make a play for the puck.

I hate people that have this "you can't hit the guy if his head is down" theory.

Without a doubt the number one thing you are taught when you first enter a competitive hockey league that allows hitting is "KEEP YOUR HEAD UP". People seem to have forgot that.

Except his head wasn't down, and he was trying to make a play on the puck. Gionta was fed somewhat of a suicide pass there, but he was in no way at fault on the play through any of his own actions.

So yes, the onus is on the hitter in that situation.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Except his head wasn't down, and he was trying to make a play on the puck. Gionta was fed somewhat of a suicide pass there, but he was in no way at fault on the play through any of his own actions.

So yes, the onus is on the hitter in that situation.

No, it absolutely isn't. You're saying you can't hit a player that is given a suicide pass? You have to just let him try and skate passed you or try and poke check him and risk him getting by you?

His head was 100% down in this play are you kidding me? This hit wouldn't have happened if Gionta had his head upand was aware of Bartowski coming.

It was the definition of a suicide pass but that doesn't mean the D can't lay a hit. Gionta should have either just let the pass go, or should be yelling at whichever player made that terrible pass.

Newsflash for you: Players are allowed to lay hits on other player's if they're not paying attention and are making a play on the puck. Otherwise, players could just skate full throttle down the middle of the ice with their head down and no one could touch them.

The Overseer*

what? Edler only hits the head.

This is why I hate debating things on here.

Watch Edler's right hip. It hits Hertl right in the middle of his body. That's what stops Hertl's forward progress. Edler's shoulder hits Hertl's head because Hertl was lunging forward. Try not to be distracted by the helmet. Think about physics.

It's remarkably similar to the Bartkowski hit. I didn't think the Edler hit should have been a suspension, but he got tagged because Hertl was the hottest player in the world coming into that game. The DPS set the precedent in doing so - now they have to suspend Bartkowski to be consistent.

Of course they won't, though.

TheDeez91

Dec 19, 2014
North Bay, Ontario
After seeing the replay from multiple angles and at multiple varying speeds I agree this is an illegal check to the head delivered by Bartkowski on Gionta. Initial point of contact was to the head and Gionta was in a vulnerable position. Glad the league decided to suspend and I think the 5 games was a fitting suspension.

As for feeling bad for a player like Gionta... I have no sympathy. This guy loves to run goalies when they are down in the butterfly position (Reimer anyone?). Maybe now he understands how it feels and will stop. Karma sucks sometimes!

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
No, it absolutely isn't. You're saying you can't hit a player that is given a suicide pass? You have to just let him try and skate passed you or try and poke check him and risk him getting by you?

His head was 100% down in this play are you kidding me? This hit wouldn't have happened if Gionta had his head upand was aware of Bartowski coming.

It was the definition of a suicide pass but that doesn't mean the D can't lay a hit. Gionta should have either just let the pass go, or should be yelling at whichever player made that terrible pass.

Newsflash for you: Players are allowed to lay hits on other player's if they're not paying attention and are making a play on the puck. Otherwise, players could just skate full throttle down the middle of the ice with their head down and no one could touch them.

If Gionta had actually touched the puck, I would agree with you. However, he never did. Hence the major penalty for interference. I mean, did you miss the part where it was an interference penalty?

It was a poorly-timed hit, and the fault is on the hitter in that situation.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
It was a clean hit and the principle point of contact wasn't the head.
If you collided with a PeeWee/Bantam sized player, your arm would be near the head area..... but then again you neckbeards on here would likely contact them with your belly.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
If Gionta had actually touched the puck, I would agree with you. However, he never did. Hence the major penalty for interference. I mean, did you miss the part where it was an interference penalty?

It was a poorly-timed hit, and the fault is on the hitter in that situation.

Gionta made every attempt to play the puck, its not Bartowski's fault that Gionta whiffed on it.

This is no different than the Kronwall on Havlat hit.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base
Leaving your feet? Hitting a player that never touches the puck?

Did Bartkowski leave his feet? No, then it was no charging and has nothing to do with that hit. Gionta simply wiffed on the puck and Bartkowski was already commited to the hit. That's unfortunate, but it happens.

Don't ask me about hypothetical situations anymore.

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
After seeing the replay from multiple angles and at multiple varying speeds I agree this is an illegal check to the head delivered by Bartkowski on Gionta. Initial point of contact was to the head and Gionta was in a vulnerable position. Glad the league decided to suspend and I think the 5 games was a fitting suspension.

As for feeling bad for a player like Gionta... I have no sympathy. This guy loves to run goalies when they are down in the butterfly position (Reimer anyone?). Maybe now he understands how it feels and will stop. Karma sucks sometimes!

I'm not sure there's one accurAte statement in this entire post.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Did Bartkowski leave his feet? No, then it was no charging and has nothing to do with that hit. Gionta simply wiffed on the puck and Bartkowski was already commited to the hit. That's unfortunate, but it happens.

Don't ask me about hypothetical situations anymore.

Me: Doesn't have to be a headshot to be a dirty hit.

You: For me, it does.

It's a ridiculous stance to take.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

It's not that ridiculous. If you leave your feet to make the hit then it's going to be a headshot anyways.

No player randomly lays out a player that's no where near the puck. Not Bartowski's, or Kronwall's or anyone else's fault if the victim whiffed on trying to play the puck.

617Marine

Aug 17, 2012
Boston
Trust me dude I get what your saying and for 90% I agree, but you cant hit a guy without a puck...just because he made a "split second decision" doesnt mean he made the right decision. He was in the wrong and needs to answer for it. In my opinion he answered the bell and fought for himself against a better fighter to defend his actions which is almost good enough but I'd wanna see a 1 game suspension just to set the precedent that you can be suspended for throwing illegal hits i.e interference hits that injure a player.

The hit wasnt as malicious as some people wanna make it but you have to send a message that interference hits that injure are not okay.

Bart is far from a dirty player and it has nothing to do with the stereotype that Boston has as a dirty team...you simply cant justify not reprimanding for early interference hits that injure...the league has an opportunity to send a message in that regard and thats all I care about.

Agreed. That's why I wasn't upset about him getting the penalty. Foligno did the right thing by standing up for his teammate, and I applaud him for it. Bart answered the bell. All in all, an ideal situation according to us who believe in players policing the game.

To play devil's advocate for a minute: I can understand wanting to reprimand players for certain plays. Like total disregard for player safety or general recklessness all the way up to malicious intent. But I don't think you can accurately define (and punish) injury inducing hits. Some g.guys get absolutely trucked on the ice and get up right away. Chara bumped knees with Tavares and was out for 6 weeks. Is that really a precedent we can set.

Like I said, Devils advocate.

Mar 22, 2010
Mother Base

What's so difficult to understand?

As long as the head is not the PPOC on an open ice hit I'm fine with it and if it doesn't violate any other obvious rules, like charging, boarding, interference, cross checking etc.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
What's so difficult to understand?

As long as the head is not the PPOC on an open ice hit I'm fine with it and if it doesn't violate any other obvious rules, like charging, boarding, interference, cross checking etc.

So it was a beautiful hit.... Except for the part where it was blatantly dirty.

The two don't go together. You can't say one and then say the other.

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Big shocker. Boston gets another free pass. Didnt see that coming at all. /s

Big shocker that other fan bases crying about the Bruins. I just wish the refs would see it their way and stop calling off good goals and give a few more power plays.

I think us Bruins fans should be crying, oh everyone hates us :cry:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad