Bartkowski hit on Gionta (No Supplemental Discipline)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
Every single replay shows Bartkowski's shoulder hitting Gionta in the head.

Yes but it was a full body hit with shoulder being the primary point of contact. You CAN hit opponents in the head, you just can't target the head and/or make it the PPOC.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Only problem here is Gionta never touched the puck. 5 minute interference is the correct call.

Not suspendable.

SenatorArmy*

The only thing I dont like about the hit is the embellishment. Was the cartwheel really necessary? Gionta is lucky he didn't get a fine

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Wait are you serious? So taller players need to crouch down now to accomodate smaller players when making their checks? Is that what you're saying

The onus is on the hitter in that situation, so yes, he does have to take height into account when initiating a hit.

The Overseer*

For me, it does. Blindside full body hits should never be illegal.

Yeah, after he hit his shoulder.

This got 3 games last year:

If the Department of Player Safety has a shred of integrity, they have to suspend Bartkowski on that precedent alone.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
To me, the fact that its a blind side hit really carries weight. No previous suspension history will play in as well. Didn't intentionally target head as far as I can tell.

1 game. Maybe 2 is my guess

CJDolan

Sep 17, 2012
Can we get a title update to show that there will be no supplemental discipline?

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Clear, clear, clear headshot, though I'm not ready to say Bartkoswski intended to lay one, but it was Brian Gionta. Had it not been one of the 4 smallest player in the East, it would not have been a headshot. And it was also ovbvious interference.

Got the pounding he deserved and hopefully will sit out 3-4 games.

Who Foligno ? That was embarrassing and I'm pretty sure he never came back out after Bart tagged him good at the end.

But sure that was a pounding :laugh: Bart did pretty good for his first fight in the NHL vs a much bigger cream puff.

Oh and It was called correctly on the ice 5m for interference nothing more will come out of it.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You guys are killing me when I see ''beautiful hit other than it's interference''. These types of hit are the most dangerous as the player isn't preparing himself to be hit. Interference hits are in the same categorie of hit from behind in my book. It's gutless.

Not in this scenario when Gionta was mere inches from touching the puck, he should have been bracing for the hit regardless.

If Gionta was no where near the puck then yes I get what you were saying, but in this play if his stick were an inch longer he would have been playing the puck and this would have been the hit of the year.

Gionta clearly had every intent to try and play the puck, just whiffed.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
This got 3 games last year:

If the Department of Player Safety has a shred of integrity, they have to suspend Bartkowski on that precedent alone.

Ummm that's totally different. Edler hit Hertl's head only, that hit is not even remotely similar to this one.

Interference is the only (possible/likely) issue, not the contact itself.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
The onus is on the hitter in that situation, so yes, he does have to take height into account when initiating a hit.

No its not, its on the player to be aware of his surroundings and to actually have his head up when trying to make a play for the puck.

I hate people that have this "you can't hit the guy if his head is down" theory.

Without a doubt the number one thing you are taught when you first enter a competitive hockey league that allows hitting is "KEEP YOUR HEAD UP". People seem to have forgot that.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Foligno doled out all of the discipline that was needed.

It's games like this where Buffalo misses Scott. Seeing Lucic backpedal faster than a corner back from the line of scrimmage was priceless.

The Overseer*

Ummm that's totally different. Edler hit Hertl's head only, that hit is not even remotely similar to this one.

Interference is the only (possible/likely) issue, not the contact itself.

Edler hit body and head. Same as Barkowski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad