I don't think Roy has the speed to keep up
Merkley looked fairly good out there
Wood had a very poor effort on the overtime winner
Fitzgerald and Desimone both had very solid games
Korenar had a few highlight reel saves

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Without paying for AHL video and mostly just following what I can through social media, it sounds like Desimone has taken a big step forward. Any shot he can hack it as a 3rd pairing replacement for Braun assuming we find a way out of his final year?

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Ugh, that was a rough one. Couldn't get shots through, hit a few posts. Gulls outplayed us, no two ways about that, but Glass was looking pretty beatable.

This was my first look at Merkley live- he has got a lot of work to do. He's got some good offensive instincts but he makes boneheaded mistakes in his own end. I started feeling nervous with the puck on his stick back there.

I'm going to be upset if the Sharks don't re-sign Jon Martin in the offseason. Did not expect to be saying that at the beginning of the year. Love the way he plays and he's been stepping up this series.

Reactions: SharkieFan and NiWa

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
Ugh, that was a rough one. Couldn't get shots through, hit a few posts. Gulls outplayed us, no two ways about that, but Glass was looking pretty beatable.

This was my first look at Merkley live- he has got a lot of work to do. He's got some good offensive instincts but he makes boneheaded mistakes in his own end. I started feeling nervous with the puck on his stick back there.

I'm going to be upset if the Sharks don't re-sign Jon Martin in the offseason. Did not expect to be saying that at the beginning of the year. Love the way he plays and he's been stepping up this series.

Couldn't agree more on Merkley. I thought he looked lost at times. Definitely seemed to be more comfortable in the offensive end than the defensive end. Him and Fitzgerald was a scary D pairing.

I'll be curious to see how DiSimone responds in game 4. He had a rough night - jumped into the play at the point and didn't get the puck which led to the two on one goal by the Gulls. He got beat on the race for icing that allowed the Gulls to score the EN goal to seal it. I hope he can forget about this one and bounce back for game 4.

Either way, the Barracuda are killing me. I can't make game 5, if we force one, without being disowned by the family. I needed the 'Cuda to win 3 and 4 so that I didn't have to worry about missing the closeout game. :)

Reactions: DrSanchez

UncMike

Feb 13, 2012

Yes, Merkley holds on to the puck too long, wants his every pass to be for an asst
And J Middleton needs to stop passing right in front of our net.....it's gonna burn him soon enough

Reactions: DrSanchez

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Yes, Merkley holds on to the puck too long, wants his every pass to be for an asst
And J Middleton needs to stop passing right in front of our net.....it's gonna burn him soon enough

Rather Merkley learn from holding on too long (i.e. - emulating Karlsson) then the Vlasic/Braun method of dumping at sight of first sign of pressure.

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008

Korenar went behind the net to play one and then threw it right out in front of his vacated net. Fortunately we got to it first, but it was one of those hold your breath moments.

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
Without paying for AHL video and mostly just following what I can through social media, it sounds like Desimone has taken a big step forward. Any shot he can hack it as a 3rd pairing replacement for Braun assuming we find a way out of his final year?

I wouldn't rule it out. I haven't watched too many games this season, but, when I was watching the team, I didn't think he looked worse than Simek (when Simek was playing with the Cuda).

SharkieFan

Sep 17, 2008
I wouldn't rule it out. I haven't watched too many games this season, but, when I was watching the team, I didn't think he looked worse than Simek (when Simek was playing with the Cuda).

That's not a bad comparison actually. I think both players showed pretty good offensive instincts mixed in with some head scratching defensive decisions at the AHL level. I want to say Nick's defensive shortcomings are slightly worse than Radim's, but that might just be because it's what's freshest in my mind. All in all, though, I think Nick is pretty comparable to where Radim was.

37 others

Apr 18, 2017
That's not a bad comparison actually. I think both players showed pretty good offensive instincts mixed in with some head scratching defensive decisions at the AHL level. I want to say Nick's defensive shortcomings are slightly worse than Radim's, but that might just be because it's what's freshest in my mind. All in all, though, I think Nick is pretty comparable to where Radim was.

When I was watching, Simek looked to be the much more offensive-minded player. He'd step up in the play almost every shift. That's changed now that he's in the league, though.

DeSimone always looked more consistent but less flashy. I don't remember seeing any glaring mistakes or questionable decisions, but it sounds like that's changed too now :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad