Barracuda News and Discussion Part 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Merkley making Calder Cup debut.

A bit more than a quarter into the game and Cuda are up 3-0.

Boyle out, 6:15 toi. Glass now in net.

zeus

Jul 1, 2003
Gilroy
Both starting goalies pulled in the 1st period. Barracuda now ahead 5-3 late in the 2nd.
Update: 5-5 after 2 periods. Chekhovich has a goal and an assist.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
No scoring in 3rd.

To OT

Controversial goal. Korenar had frozen puck, but pushed into net.

Game over
Didn't that happen to Stalock in the reverse sweep series? Holy crap... do the Sharks get one game taken away by bad call every year?

Only Chekhovich played. 1g 1a
Merkeley 0g 0a even +/-

It will be a major shock if Chekhovich isn't playing in the NHL next season.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
How’d they look, though?

I’m counting on Merkley to replace Karlsson when he leaves us, so...

Watched the game. Merkley looked solid. Actually made two nice defensive plays that I remember breaking up 2-on-1's. He made good breakout passes but a few times looked like he was thinking too much. Overall solid first playoffs game.
Chekovich looked good. Scored a nice goal and his line looked solid.
Bibeau didn't look very good, I think he could have stopped 2 of those goals early on.
Korenar looked really good, making some huge highlight reel saves.
I really liked Cavan Fitzgeralds puck control and skating. A few times I saw him do a great job skating the puck up the ice and gaining entry to the offensive zone.
Gambrell had a good game as well. Scored a nice goal and made some good decisions with the puck.
I wasn't impressed with True. One shift he did a good job using his size to possess the puck but didn't notice much other good throughout the game.

Is Roy hurt? What type of injury did he sustain?

Reactions: NiWa

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Watched the game. Merkley looked solid. Actually made two nice defensive plays that I remember breaking up 2-on-1's. He made good breakout passes but a few times looked like he was thinking too much. Overall solid first playoffs game.
Chekovich looked good. Scored a nice goal and his line looked solid.
Bibeau didn't look very good, I think he could have stopped 2 of those goals early on.
Korenar looked really good, making some huge highlight reel saves.
I really liked Cavan Fitzgeralds puck control and skating. A few times I saw him do a great job skating the puck up the ice and gaining entry to the offensive zone.
Gambrell had a good game as well. Scored a nice goal and made some good decisions with the puck.
I wasn't impressed with True. One shift he did a good job using his size to possess the puck but didn't notice much other good throughout the game.

Is Roy hurt? What type of injury did he sustain?
Roy isn't hurt. He was just a scratch. They've been really cautious with him. Dahlen and Chartier are hurt. I think Chartier needs to consider retirement, he's had too many concussions.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
LOL.

"Don't tell me what I can and can't do!!!"

I don't know why, but I just get the feeling is Merkley is the kind of player who will perform better with the competition getting tougher. He is most likely not going be ready next year, but I would not be shocked if he is.

I simply can’t take one word hot takes on HFBoards!

I agree with you, I think he’s bored and mentally checked out in the lower leagues particularly after the draft. He needs to be challenged and forced to play against far better competition.

My prediction is he’ll at least be as good as a groinless Karlsson...

Reactions: Gecklund

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
Roy isn't hurt. He was just a scratch. They've been really cautious with him. Dahlen and Chartier are hurt. I think Chartier needs to consider retirement, he's had too many concussions.

I know he's had a ton of injuries but is he slightly banged up? It doesn't make sense to me to scratch someone during the playoffs who has been playing much of the season.

I know THN's Future Watch had him listed as our 3rd best prospect and I thought his stats looked fairly good this year so I was hoping that he was finally healthy and making a lot of progress. I was hoping to finally be able to watch him. For the people who have watched him this year, do you see an NHL future for him? Is he making progress or is THN just choosing the highest picked players for the Sharks rather than actually knowing anything about our prospects.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I don't think THN spends a lot of time on prospects and cherry pick by draft position. So many pundits still have Chartier as a NHL-bound player with a lot of upside/potential, when it's likely the Sharks won't qualify him and he'll retire due to his concussion history.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
I know he's had a ton of injuries but is he slightly banged up? It doesn't make sense to me to scratch someone during the playoffs who has been playing much of the season.

I know THN's Future Watch had him listed as our 3rd best prospect and I thought his stats looked fairly good this year so I was hoping that he was finally healthy and making a lot of progress. I was hoping to finally be able to watch him. For the people who have watched him this year, do you see an NHL future for him? Is he making progress or is THN just choosing the highest picked players for the Sharks rather than actually knowing anything about our prospects.

I haven't given up on him, but he looks pretty mediocre all things considered. I don't think they're being cautious with him at all, he played 58 of our 66 games and did miss time with a minor injury, unrelated to his knee problems (I think it was his arm? Can't remember). When Merkley came in I did kind of figure Roy would be the one to sit out. Wood and DeSimone have been better on the right and Sommer likes to go L-R on all of our pairings when he's able.

If he's going to have an NHL future, he's going to need to take a big step forward next year. He's lost so much development time to injuries, hopefully he won't be a case of "what could have been."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad