Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I believe you have stated that in the past. Thank you. This is definitely good news
Yep. I feel better and better about the direction this is heading. We're getting corroboration from Newsday general assignment writers as well as the horse racing community associated with NYRA.

Reactions: SI and Eberzal

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
A subtext here seems to be speculation that Cuomo wants this announced in time to use this for the next state of the state address, which would presumably mean an announcement within the next month. Could be wrong, but I choose to believe it and accept inevitable disappointment.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
A subtext here seems to be speculation that Cuomo wants this announced in time to use this for the next state of the state address, which would presumably mean an announcement within the next month. Could be wrong, but I choose to believe it and accept inevitable disappointment.
It makes sense that Cuomo would like a trophy in his case for 2018 should he decide to run for President.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Yep. I feel better and better about the direction this is heading. We're getting corroboration from Newsday general assignment writers as well as the horse racing community associated with NYRA.

In the article, Berner mentions the Enrviromental part of this would be sidestepped! Whoa. And groundbreaking in Spring - 20 months could mean the arena would be ready by say November 1, 2019?

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
The Uneasy Future of Islanders Hockey in Brooklyn - The Bridge

"The result: “a net loss from Islanders’ related business activities” in the last fiscal year, which Moody’s predicted would persist this season and next unless attendance picks up."

"Yormark recently said of hockey in Brooklyn, “The economics just don’t work.” (Ledecky retorted: “I guess he’s saying the people on their side didn’t make a good deal.”) In January, Bloomberg reported that Barclays was “dumping” the Islanders, attributing that notion to “people familiar with the facility’s financials,” which may have been a tactical leak. "

hockey in Brooklyn, “The economics just don’t work.” - Brett Yormark

finally we have the capitulation!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
So isles are going to renovate the track as part of their bid? That sounds like a done deal. LOL
I'm not getting that from the RFP. NYRA is renovating the race track, they wanted someone else to develop the property with a sporting venue, hotel/conference center, and entertainment district with retail.

Reactions: nyscene

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Can't hurt, but I was t the public comment meeting for the Lighthouse and there were TONS of Isles fans there and look what happened.

Basically if the politicians aren't on your side, all the fans won't help.
true dat, damn kate murray and that two faced smirk she wore

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Belmont Park and Islanders Break New Ground

A listening session scheduled by local politicians will take place on Sunday, DEC 10, at Elmont Memorial High School where the bidders will present their plans to the community.

This is unusual timing at this point in the process; a signal that the ESD is moving with speed. This meeting differs from the first listening session at the Elmont Library in July when the ESD listened to the community. This time it’s the other way around.

Allee, King, Rosen & Fleming (AKRF), an environmental consulting firm, has been contracted by the state to do work with the winner of the Belmont proposal. In doing so, the lengthy environmental studies needed before most projects of this nature are sidestepped.

AKRF previously consulted on the Barclays Center, Citi Field and Yankee Stadium projects.

When asked about the timeline for a decision, Amy Varghese, spokesperson for the ESD, said, “Belmont Park represents an opportunity for vibrant community and economic growth in the region and we're currently reviewing proposals for the site

NYRA personnel have been muzzled for a good reason. Releasing NYRA’s plans before the ESD award would be foolish. And that’s because, as it looks now, the project is significantly different from the ESD’s Request For Proposal.

IMG_5100_thumb.jpg

Layout of the New Belmont Complex

Most surprising is the fact that the entire proposed complex is on the north side of Hempstead Turnpike. The parking lot on the south side, expected to be the site of the arena, will remain a parking lot.

The new arena will hold 16,500 for hockey and 18,000 for stage shows, with two upper levels ringed with highly profitable executive sweets. The proposal includes a hotel, a conference center, entertainment facilities, multilevel parking and retail shopping.

Additionally, there will be a new dual-purpose entrance from the adjacent Long Island Rail Road terminal to the Belmont grandstand and Islanders Arena
highly profitable executive sweets.

whats that prostitutes?

Reactions: SI and MJF

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I can’t see them putting 2 teams in Texas. Especially for hockey. My guess is Salt Lake City, Indy, Milwaukee would get hockey teams before Houston did

Wanna bet on that? Houston is the largest city the NHL doesn't have a team in (the 4th largest city in the US). The NHL was interested in Houston for a while, but the Rockets owner controlled the arena lease and didn't want an NHL there. He just sold the team and evidently the new ownership is wide open to having an NHL team there.

There is literally no combination of population, interest, ownership group, media, and more in the cities you listed.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Belmont Park and Islanders Break New Ground

A listening session scheduled by local politicians will take place on Sunday, DEC 10, at Elmont Memorial High School where the bidders will present their plans to the community.

This is unusual timing at this point in the process; a signal that the ESD is moving with speed. This meeting differs from the first listening session at the Elmont Library in July when the ESD listened to the community. This time it’s the other way around.

Allee, King, Rosen & Fleming (AKRF), an environmental consulting firm, has been contracted by the state to do work with the winner of the Belmont proposal. In doing so, the lengthy environmental studies needed before most projects of this nature are sidestepped.

AKRF previously consulted on the Barclays Center, Citi Field and Yankee Stadium projects.

When asked about the timeline for a decision, Amy Varghese, spokesperson for the ESD, said, “Belmont Park represents an opportunity for vibrant community and economic growth in the region and we're currently reviewing proposals for the site

NYRA personnel have been muzzled for a good reason. Releasing NYRA’s plans before the ESD award would be foolish. And that’s because, as it looks now, the project is significantly different from the ESD’s Request For Proposal.

IMG_5100_thumb.jpg

Layout of the New Belmont Complex

Most surprising is the fact that the entire proposed complex is on the north side of Hempstead Turnpike. The parking lot on the south side, expected to be the site of the arena, will remain a parking lot.

The new arena will hold 16,500 for hockey and 18,000 for stage shows, with two upper levels ringed with highly profitable executive sweets. The proposal includes a hotel, a conference center, entertainment facilities, multilevel parking and retail shopping.

Additionally, there will be a new dual-purpose entrance from the adjacent Long Island Rail Road terminal to the Belmont grandstand and Islanders Arena

Such a fascinating article. A must read for all Isles fans.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It makes sense that Cuomo would like a trophy in his case for 2018 should he decide to run for President.

I mean in theory yes, but how in the world would this show up on the radar screen for anyone in a swing state?

"Hello Wisconsin - You won't believe what we did for Belmont Racetrack..."

The LaGuardia airport renovation is much more of a feather in his cap than whatever Belmont turns out to be.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Wanna bet on that? Houston is the largest city the NHL doesn't have a team in (the 4th largest city in the US). The NHL was interested in Houston for a while, but the Rockets owner controlled the arena lease and didn't want an NHL there. He just sold the team and evidently the new ownership is wide open to having an NHL team there.

There is literally no combination of population, interest, ownership group, media, and more in the cities you listed.
youre absolutely right

you and i both have been around here long enough to know where the Isles are concerned nothing is ever guaranteed

thats not smarter or better informed or anything like that

that comes from loving the Islanders and being disappointed more times than we can count

we're praying this time is the charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad