Barclays Center & Relocation Part VI : Belmont announcement likely this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Agreed. When I saw Houston, I figured that is where the Coyotes are moving.

I'm not saying the Isles are moving out of NY. I am 95% sure they will be here (Brooklyn or Belmont) in 2028, but politicians don't always see that deep.

Also read that this may be wrapped up within 30 days, because Cuomo wants to put this in his state of state speech

Your keyboard to the hockey god's ears I suppose. Reading the NYCFC reddit though is crazy - they absolutely don't want the Belmont property. Comments to the latest news include "stahp", "pls no", and an emoji of a stop sign.

I can’t see them putting 2 teams in Texas. Especially for hockey. My guess is Salt Lake City, Indy, Milwaukee would get hockey teams before Houston did

I think you fail to grasp how big Texas is - it's like 200+ miles between the two cities. The most populated city in the US apart from NY, LA, and Chicago - Astros just won the series, Rockets have one of the best players in the NBA, Texans have an explosive young QB. Can absolutely see Bettman licking his chops over Houston joining the 4-sport club.

Reactions: bronxirish

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Forgive me for being a petty little internet activist, but is there any way to get a petition going to convince NYCFC to drop out of the bidding?

Just explain that this is looking like the last chance for the Islanders to stay in New York, and if NYCFC wins the bid and the Islanders relocate, Islanders fans pledge to never support NYCFC.

Considering that NYCFC was only established in 2015, they might understand a bit more seriously how pissing off tons of Islanders fans isn't the best way to build an established fanbase in the metro area. Especially if they're planning on dumping a huge amount of money to build a state-of-the-art soccer stadium.

Just a simple message of "we want to see NYCFC succeed, however if they're responsible for the 4-time Stanley Cup winning Islanders relocating outside of New York, your franchise will alienate a sizable percentage of your potential customer base. Whereas finding another location will have no such negative affect".
In all seriousness, start a petition on Change.Org and circulate it on NYCFC social media platforms and messgae boards stating how you think a Belmont soccer stadium would hurt the NYCFC season ticket holders and casual fans who live in the 5 boroughs, Westchester, NJ,etc and travel by subway to Yankee Stadium, then submit it to NYCFC. Just make sure that this is actually the way most of their team’s fans feel.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
NYCFC wants their new stadium soon. I wonder if the bid is more about getting all the state government stakeholders up to speed on their needs/what they can offer and "due diligence" like another poster said.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
your side of the argument is so desperate to save face. I've been Belmont over NVMC since the day it became a possibility. When I first attended the New Coliseum I acknowledged they didn't do enough to make it NHL viable. The only path I ever saw back to NVMC was as a temporary arrangement or if Barclays gave them the same deal at the Coli as they had at BC.
It was a joke, Eeyore.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
The Uneasy Future of Islanders Hockey in Brooklyn - The Bridge

"The result: “a net loss from Islanders’ related business activities” in the last fiscal year, which Moody’s predicted would persist this season and next unless attendance picks up."

"Yormark recently said of hockey in Brooklyn, “The economics just don’t work.” (Ledecky retorted: “I guess he’s saying the people on their side didn’t make a good deal.”) In January, Bloomberg reported that Barclays was “dumping” the Islanders, attributing that notion to “people familiar with the facility’s financials,” which may have been a tactical leak. "

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
If Barclays is losing money on the the Islanders, why did they disclose the opposite (i.e., that they are making money off of the Islanders) in their SEC disclosures related to their recent bond offerings? They'd be liable to be sued and suffer significant penalties if those statements were wrong.

Yormark's statements are IMO nothing but posturing. Too bad it's too little too late given the momentum of the Belmont project.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
If Barclays is losing money on the the Islanders, why did they disclose the opposite (i.e., that they are making money off of the Islanders) in their SEC disclosures related to their recent bond offerings? They'd be liable to be sued and suffer significant penalties if those statements were wrong.

Yormark's statements are IMO nothing but posturing. Too bad it's too little too late given the momentum of the Belmont project.

Because they wanted to give one thing to the pro-Barclays crowd to hang their hat on.

Now they gots nuttin'

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Ugh!
I am hoping that since Belmont is not their top choice, that they will feel Harlem river or Willets Points are better options and drop out.

Willets Point is their focus I believe.

I think they are doing this to push deBlasio. Seriously relax. They will lose 3/4 of their season ticket holders. They do well because of where they are located. They market themselves (and named) as a NYC team. They don't want belmont. They may be using this to show they have a shovel ready proposal

Pretty sure the Wilpons (sterling equity) got involved for one reason. Have a hand in the Belmont arena, thus being able to partner with NYCFC on their stadium at Willets Point. They are increasing revenue stream.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Belmont Park and Islanders Break New Ground

A listening session scheduled by local politicians will take place on Sunday, DEC 10, at Elmont Memorial High School where the bidders will present their plans to the community.

This is unusual timing at this point in the process; a signal that the ESD is moving with speed. This meeting differs from the first listening session at the Elmont Library in July when the ESD listened to the community. This time it’s the other way around.

Allee, King, Rosen & Fleming (AKRF), an environmental consulting firm, has been contracted by the state to do work with the winner of the Belmont proposal. In doing so, the lengthy environmental studies needed before most projects of this nature are sidestepped.

AKRF previously consulted on the Barclays Center, Citi Field and Yankee Stadium projects.

When asked about the timeline for a decision, Amy Varghese, spokesperson for the ESD, said, “Belmont Park represents an opportunity for vibrant community and economic growth in the region and we're currently reviewing proposals for the site

NYRA personnel have been muzzled for a good reason. Releasing NYRA’s plans before the ESD award would be foolish. And that’s because, as it looks now, the project is significantly different from the ESD’s Request For Proposal.

IMG_5100_thumb.jpg

Layout of the New Belmont Complex

Most surprising is the fact that the entire proposed complex is on the north side of Hempstead Turnpike. The parking lot on the south side, expected to be the site of the arena, will remain a parking lot.

The new arena will hold 16,500 for hockey and 18,000 for stage shows, with two upper levels ringed with highly profitable executive sweets. The proposal includes a hotel, a conference center, entertainment facilities, multilevel parking and retail shopping.

Additionally, there will be a new dual-purpose entrance from the adjacent Long Island Rail Road terminal to the Belmont grandstand and Islanders Arena

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Belmont Park and Islanders Break New Ground

A listening session scheduled by local politicians will take place on Sunday, DEC 10, at Elmont Memorial High School where the bidders will present their plans to the community.

This is unusual timing at this point in the process; a signal that the ESD is moving with speed. This meeting differs from the first listening session at the Elmont Library in July when the ESD listened to the community. This time it’s the other way around.

Allee, King, Rosen & Fleming (AKRF), an environmental consulting firm, has been contracted by the state to do work with the winner of the Belmont proposal. In doing so, the lengthy environmental studies needed before most projects of this nature are sidestepped.

AKRF previously consulted on the Barclays Center, Citi Field and Yankee Stadium projects.

When asked about the timeline for a decision, Amy Varghese, spokesperson for the ESD, said, “Belmont Park represents an opportunity for vibrant community and economic growth in the region and we're currently reviewing proposals for the site

NYRA personnel have been muzzled for a good reason. Releasing NYRA’s plans before the ESD award would be foolish. And that’s because, as it looks now, the project is significantly different from the ESD’s Request For Proposal.

IMG_5100_thumb.jpg

Layout of the New Belmont Complex

Most surprising is the fact that the entire proposed complex is on the north side of Hempstead Turnpike. The parking lot on the south side, expected to be the site of the arena, will remain a parking lot.

The new arena will hold 16,500 for hockey and 18,000 for stage shows, with two upper levels ringed with highly profitable executive sweets. The proposal includes a hotel, a conference center, entertainment facilities, multilevel parking and retail shopping.

Additionally, there will be a new dual-purpose entrance from the adjacent Long Island Rail Road terminal to the Belmont grandstand and Islanders Arena

MJF correct me if I'm wrong but you are knowledgeable of Belmont and the LIRR? You worked for the LIRR. (I apologize if I'm incorrect)

This guy at Horseracing insider is pretty connected, no?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
MJF correct me if I'm wrong but you are knowledgeable of Belmont and the LIRR? You worked for the LIRR. (I apologize if I'm incorrect)

This guy at Horseracing insider is pretty connected, no?
Mark Berner I consider a good source. He was a handicapper for Newsday and is still a horse racing insider. I trust him when he makes statements about the inner workings at NYRA.

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Mark Berner I consider a good source. He was a handicapper for Newsday and is still a horse racing insider. I trust him when he makes statements about the inner workings at NYRA.

I believe you have stated that in the past. Thank you. This is definitely good news

Reactions: MJF
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad