Movies: Barbie (July 21st 2023)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
You guys that are too masculine to see the movie, is exactly what the movie is about. I found it super funny and I laughed my ass off at the jokes made about the men.

Come on guys, just be able to laugh at yourself a little bit.
“Too masculine to see the movie”, or is it that there’s nothing appealing about the movie for men because it wasn’t made for them?

Reactions: DaaaaB's

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yeah, this movie blows. I wanted a fun Barbie movie about unity, but it comes across as way too preachy and what I suspect is discussed at Hollywood echo chamber cocktail parties. The marketing team gets an Oscar award while the plot is just a mess (which you can see in all the trailers, zero ideas of where to take this film except one route and that was against the patriarchy). I don't think they had to make this too musical as it was as well. I suspect a lot of people will like this film in the first three or so weeks because of the marketing and then it will drop off a cliff afterwards when word gets around the communities.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, this movie blows. I wanted a fun Barbie movie about unity, but it comes across as way too preachy and what I suspect is discussed at Hollywood echo chamber cocktail parties. The marketing team gets an Oscar award while the plot is just a mess (which you can see in all the trailers, zero ideas of where to take this film except one route and that was against the patriarchy). I don't think they had to make this too musical as it was as well. I suspect a lot of people will like this film in the first three or so weeks because of the marketing and then it will drop off a cliff afterwards when word gets around the communities.

Yup, exactly what I said. All the fangirls and feminist's are probably running out the first 2 weeks to see this, but after those weeks are up, tickets for this will plummet. Reviews have not done them any favors. Most of the population is not going to spend $15-20 on a ticket to watch Barbie explore her womanhood and become a feminist or whatever they were trying to accomplish.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yup, exactly what I said. All the fangirls and feminist's are probably running out the first 2 weeks to see this, but after those weeks are up, tickets for this will plummet.
Them getting Gosling and Robbie to star in this film was honestly the breaking point for the writers and directors. It suffers so much and their 'stardom' keeps the movie sane. I actually think this film will get some backlash from the percentage of fangirls who actually cherish family values.

Last edited:

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
It's gotten Good reviews yet yinz are All saying how bad it is 🤔

It’s all preconceived notions as to what they believe it to be without caring to look at what it is.

90% critical and 90% audience score from Rotten Tomatoes. But it’s a hockey forum. Largely white male. So I guess it’s not shocking.

Anyway I see it tomorrow at 12:45 with my wife. It looks genuinely fun, irreverent, funny, and interesting. I’m excited to watch before making judgement.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Them getting Gosling and Robbie to star in this film was honestly the breaking point for the writers and directors. It suffers so much and their 'stardom' keeps the movie sane. I actually think this film will get some backlash from the percentage of fangirls who actually cherish family values.

I'd be interested in hearing how the movie is against "family values".

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I went to the movie with my girlfriend. I didn't particularly enjoy it but I didn't hate it. Gosling and Farrell got the most laughs out of me but really the movie just wasn't made for me and that is fine. Lots of movies out there that are more geared towards me while this one was a nostalgia trip for the women. I do think they could have made it a more compelling plot then they did but it is what it is I am not worried about it. Like a 5/10.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
It’s all preconceived notions as to what they believe it to be without caring to look at what it is.

90% critical and 90% audience score from Rotten Tomatoes. But it’s a hockey forum. Largely white male. So I guess it’s not shocking.

Anyway I see it tomorrow at 12:45 with my wife. It looks genuinely fun, irreverent, funny, and interesting. I’m excited to watch before making judgement.
What does being white have to do with anything here?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Yes that's the point. If you cannot find humor in this movie, it is you who this movie is about.
I've heard from a bunch of women who didn't enjoy it. Critic Kristen Maldanado said that "the funniest moments were seen in the trailer which left the rest of the movie lacking in humor and campiness." Critic Dulcie Pearce said that "the final 'joke' is so eye-rollingly bad it left me grateful I always played with Sindy dolls." You can't assume that everyone will find the humor funny just because it's not at their expense.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
I've heard from a bunch of women who didn't enjoy it. Critic Kristen Maldanado said that "the funniest moments were seen in the trailer which left the rest of the movie lacking in humor and campiness." Critic Dulcie Pearce said that "the final 'joke' is so eye-rollingly bad it left me grateful I always played with Sindy dolls." You can't assume that everyone will find the humor funny just because it's not at their expense.
Just because you are a woman doesn't mean you will like the movie. I am not assuming that everyone will like this movie.

What I am assuming is that if you refuse to see this movie because your an alpha, then you are the joke.

Reactions: Troy McClure

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Just because you are a woman doesn't mean you will like the movie. I am not assuming that everyone will like this movie.

What I am assuming is that if you refuse to see this movie because your an alpha, then you are the joke.
Or maybe the movie just wasn't targeted towards you and there is nothing wrong with that? Like I saw the movie with my significant other because I didn't really care but otherwise I would not have gone to see it. It is perfectly fine for women to have movies made for them and not for dudes...it is also perfectly fine for guys to say that the movie that was made specifically for women isn't something they are interested in paying to go see.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Saw this last night with the wife and i enjoyed it.

Fun and silly movie with more funny moments than I expected. I think the over-the-top satire lightens the tone a bit and keeps it from coming across as too preachy. Pretty good acting from the big names, the supporting characters were mostly forgettable, but considering that they’re literally just slight variations of the main characters, it’s to be expected.

I usually don’t care much for Will Ferrell’s aloof shtick, but I thought that character was perfect to portray the stereotypical out of touch mega corporation CEO.

Seemed like they sorry of ran out of steam at the end of the film and didn’t know where to go after the main resolution.

All in all, a pretty decent movie IMO if you don’t take the movie or your own manhood too seriously.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Took my niece to see this movie last night and I actually liked it a lot. I was expecting to look at Devils trade tweets the whole movie or make food/drink runs for my niece but I was getting into the movie more than her at points. :laugh: Would agree about the ending losing a bit of steam but overall, I thought it was an enjoyable movie if you aren't a serious movie goer that nitpicks everything to death.

Yup, exactly what I said. All the fangirls and feminist's are probably running out the first 2 weeks to see this, but after those weeks are up, tickets for this will plummet. Reviews have not done them any favors. Most of the population is not going to spend $15-20 on a ticket to watch Barbie explore her womanhood and become a feminist or whatever they were trying to accomplish.

Erm......, that's usually what happens with any movie because most people have seen it anyway.

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA

Cool, what derogatory term should I be called then for not wanting to see Oppenheimer?

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Folks, it's OK for a movie to be targeted to a different demo than yourselves. Not all movies are made with guys primarily in mind. We have had a few notable ones this year where like 65-75% of the audience is men. You know, like John Wick 4.

So far this movie is exceeding expectations. Predicted to do $90 million on opening weekend and it blew that out of the water with over $150 million. With over $330 million worldwide it will likely cover its production budget and marketing budget by next weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad