Speculation: Ball Arena

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Interesting thread........ So Kroenke is concerned about needed Ball Arena improvements......

Meanwhile, the Avs practice facility is a complete joke....... (I wonder, do the players ever get to board the amusement rides out in the lobby?)

Apparently, the facility doesn't even have back up generators. (blame South Suburban Rec District, right?)

The Avs also like to boast about growing amateur hockey in Colorado and I will allow them some credit for a bit of that. But I am not aware however of any indoor rinks they've constructed anywhere in the State that might have jump started that growth. (Compared to the Star DR/Pepper Centers in the Dallas metroplex.)

And why would they? Ice rinks are notorious for losing $$$.

Add to that Altitude and how difficult the franchise makes it to view their game home and away) broadcasts.

But let's prioritize improving Ball Arena......

I smell the aroma of real estate development opportunities cooking on the Kroenke stove.
Kroenke's whole empire is about real estate and that is what drives everything.

Saying that, a part of this development is a practice facility. That is the recreation center part of this development. The primary reason the facility has taken nearly a decade to not even get off the ground is that they are forcing it to be tied to real estate.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kroenke's whole empire is about real estate and that is what drives everything.

Saying that, a part of this development is a practice facility. That is the recreation center part of this development. The primary reason the facility has taken nearly a decade to not even get off the ground is that they are forcing it to be tied to real estate.

Seems kinda dumb to be pushing for this massive real estate deal that benefits the Nuggets and Avalanche when a very sizable portion of the state can't even watch those teams on TV.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Seems kinda dumb to be pushing for this massive real estate deal that benefits the Nuggets and Avalanche when a very sizable portion of the state can't even watch those teams on TV.
Damn straight.

A new season is just about upon us and I once again have to rediscover how I can watch Avs games when they are being blacked out (like by NHL Network).

Doable. But once again, a pain in the butt.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Kinda hope Denver tells Kroenke to pack sand when he sticks his hand out for public dollars.

I would not mind one bit if every single NHL stadium moving forward was only permitted to be built using private dollars. Like make it a big dick thing with the owners, who can build the best without needing a handout. The owners should be shaming each other over needing public assistance. I thought it was a big boys club.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Kinda hope Denver tells Kroenke to pack sand when he sticks his hand out for public dollars.

I would not mind one bit if every single NHL stadium moving forward was only permitted to be built using private dollars. Like make it a big dick thing with the owners, who can build the best without needing a handout. The owners should be shaming each other over needing public assistance. I thought it was a big boys club.
I would be all for the complete banning of public funds for sports venues, but I realize that's pie-in-the-sky thinking.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Fundamentally I agree nobody should be using public dollars, but these owners are way too connected and sports teams offer way too much ego stroking to not get public funds. Just see the whole Calgary Flames drama lately.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

The truth is, rich people actually adore government spending. They only raise a stink about it when the money goes to anyone other than them directly.

• Haha
Reactions: cinchronicity

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

Screenshot_20241022_091655_Facebook.jpg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Couldn't include a practice facility?
There's a recreation center in these plans and that will be the practice facility.

Affordable housing. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.
Gotta love the token mandates around this stuff. Looks like great PR, but is 100% forced upon KSE and odds of them fully living up to it are next to zero.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
So Big Stan and his minions can design and create an entire city . . but can't figure out how to broadcast its basketball and hockey teams to the people who live there.

Got it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Gotta love the token mandates around this stuff. Looks like great PR, but is 100% forced upon KSE and odds of them fully living up to it are next to zero.
The City of Denver was always going to cave and spin this in a positive way. We all know that pro-weed transplants from Illinois or Maryland who have either a nature (aka forest/trees) or a butterfly tattoo, depending on the gender, and a degree in environmental or computer science are going to move into these units, lol.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
The City of Denver was always going to cave and spin this in a positive way. We all know that pro-weed transplants from Illinois or Maryland who have either a nature (aka forest/trees) or a butterfly tattoo, depending on the gender, and a degree in environmental or computer science are going to move into these units, lol.
Yeah that's what gov'ts tend to do. This is high value land that Stan can make a mint off of, and Denver gets a nice little PR statement.

Speaking of environmental science... I'd expect this to run into a number of environmental issues and red tape. Especially near the river. It'll probably take a couple years for that to clear prior to the ground breaking there. Right next to Ball Arena will probably have to break ground first. Which is probably positive for the Avs given that is likely the area destined for the recreation center.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Oh they can. They just don't care because it's not as profitable as doing some like this new development project.

Was watching an Avs game on Altitude recently and Moser wasted an entire period of hockey talking with one of Kroenke's VPs who made creating a broadcast app sound like inventing Cold Fusion. It was pretty insulting.

Last edited:

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
Was watching an Avs game on Altitude recently and Moser wasted an entire period of hockey talking with of Kroenke's VPs who made creating a broadcast app sound like inventing Cold Fusion. It was pretty insulting.
Don't forget the spin they were offering about the ad on the jersey. f***ing nauseating to listen to.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Let's be honest though, the area around Ball Arena is shit, it's basically just one massive parking lot. You have at least a 5-10 minute walk to get to any decent number of restaurants or bars. Some other arenas have streets of entertainment and food establishments bumping right up against the arena. I welcome these plans, personally, hopefully there will be a good mix of food places and not just high-end haute cuisine bullshit you can't escape. $175 for a radish covered in a orange peel foam can f*** off thanks.

I am curious to see where the final resting place will be for Elitch Gardens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad