Bad hit on Jagr - why there should be special rules for older players

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Not sure what age to draw the line but as I proposed in an earlier thread if someone has been in the league for a very long time, those players need to be protected. Maybe give them a different color jersey that makes them not eligible to be hit if they request it. I would hate to see Jagr's career end from this hit which I think happened earlier this month. Older guys are easy targets so there should be some protection so this doesn't happen.

Hope Jagr can bounce back.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
I agree 100%. It's just mean to target old and slow guys like Jagr. Be a real man and hit a guy your own age!

illpucks

May 26, 2011
This is sarcasm right? The hit was awful but we can’t have different set of rules for different players of the very same game.

Except we already do. For instance, this mask is banned, but Crosby was allowed to wear it due to an injury. So a special jersey that makes older players not eligible to be hit follows that same logic in granting exceptions to players that meet certain requirements (like past a certain age).
sidney-crosby-helmet-face_original.jpg

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Cheap hit, what a clown. Disrespectful and I'm sure his career is in jeopardy after this.

There shouldn't need to be special rules but I'm sure he's going to regret this. He's got a target on his back on the ice now and probably more so off the ice.

Reactions: The S5

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
Except we already do. For instance, this mask is banned, but Crosby was allowed to wear it due to an injury. So a special jersey that makes older players not eligible to be hit follows that same logic in granting exceptions to players that meet certain requirements (like past a certain age).
sidney-crosby-helmet-face_original.jpg
People who have some sort of jaw injury can wear that to be the warriors that hockey players are and play with that type of injury. It’s not a Crosby thing, I’m also sure that while you were googling that image you saw these ones as well.
018ECB95-445A-4010-BA67-BF27F92AC584.jpeg

Oilers In Tree

Sep 10, 2021
Edmonton
I don't agree. But I would like leagues around the world do something against hits like that. Token suspensions won't do. There need to be hefty fines and suspensions. You learn from a very early age to not make hits like that.
That’s the only answer, dangerous hits like that should have the same type of punishment. Changing the rules for older players opens up a can of worms for anyone and anything. Example: If someone shreds their back and gets a surgery on it, should the rules dictate that he’s not allowed to get hit. One would argue that playing with a surgically repaired back is more dangerous than being an older player.

Reactions: Thomas Colavecchio

illpucks

May 26, 2011
What a horrible comparison that is. And no, there should not be different rules to different players, that would be idiotic.
Except it's not. Crosby's special mask protects him re-injuring his jaw which is already vulnerable. This is another vulnerability issue. If Mario wanted to comeback let's say, he should not be subjected to a hit from Ryan Reeves which will permanently end his career. There should be some honor for the vets past a certain age.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Cheap hit by a no-name plug trying to find 24 hours of fame :shakehead

10-1 this guy will have to fight Jagr’s goon teammate next game, they’ll fall over, and life will go on.

Jagr doesn’t need special treatment just because he’s ancient.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
Except it's not. Crosby's special mask protects him re-injuring his jaw which is already vulnerable. This is another vulnerability issue. If Mario wanted to comeback let's say, he should not be subjected to a hit from Ryan Reeves which will permanently end his career. There should be some honor for the vets past a certain age.

If you are so old you need special treatment and different rules, you should quit. I'm 100% sure Jagr or any other player wouldn't want to get special treatment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad