Bad Contracts

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
HF boards where you argue over a 4 or 5 defenseman like it matters. Or like you can tell the razor thin difference. Get real.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Rozi was really bad at the end. Murphy today is a far superior player. TvR wasn't just a rookie he was a hurt rookie Rundblad sucked.

You're misremembering. Rozi was winning his minutes in the playoffs until he got hurt and he was averaging 17 and a half a game. There's no chance you take Murphy of today (or at any point in the last 6 years) over a healthly Rozsival in 2015. Murphy is bad at everything that matters in hockey. Not that it matters because with the way Murphy handled the puck, he never would have seen the ice with Q.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
You don’t get it. Everyone sucks until they are gone. They then somehow seem to get better.
Look at the trash spewed on Jones and Murphy here.
Look around the NHL guys who were endlessly dumped on by HF Hawk fans play important roles.
The single biggest misunderstanding here is the inability to evaluate talent taking team surroundings into consideration.
Playing with a rookie partner and forwards who are often of AHL level (or Bedard who was terrible in his zone and on draws … possession).
Take all of that and put it vs the opponents top lines and blame them for the result.

Murphy isn't good and he's never been good. Jones gets shit on because he's one of the highest paid D in the sport but plays like a lower end top pairing D. Can't QB a PP. Makes dumb decisions consistently. He's still a useful player -- especially if CHI could find a partner to let him play to his strengths. Murphy doesn't do anything well. He's a bad puck mover and he's an average defender (at best). There's a reason he's spent his entire career getting caved in. If he was a good player, he would be able to influence the results instead of always being the victim of being on a "bad team". Teams he's been on have been bad because they throw him out there for 20 mins a game to lose those minutes.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You're misremembering. Rozi was winning his minutes in the playoffs until he got hurt and he was averaging 17 and a half a game. There's no chance you take Murphy of today (or at any point in the last 6 years) over a healthly Rozsival in 2015. Murphy is bad at everything that matters in hockey. Not that it matters because with the way Murphy handled the puck, he never would have seen the ice with Q.
Rozi was atrocious round one turned into Pronger in round two and got hurt after being really bad all year. I've argued it enough with BWC I promise I remember.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Murphy is not bad at everything...he is decent at blocking shots..but the problem is that after the block he is too late to react to get back into proper position...to latecto get to a reboundand clear ...badcat clearing anyway...asxto alk ithercaspectsvlike getting easilycwaltzedxarpund because heviscto slow and not agile there is that flaw...and of course the near zero offense from hom...All together he is bad at almost every aspect of being an impact or even competent dman with the exception of initially blocking a shot ...his advocates claiming reduced ice would make him an acceptable 5-6 dman hovering near zero i +/- asxa sort of munched ofc3rd pairing minutes doing no major harm or benefit but a sort of neutral type giving just acceptable performance may or may not be right...ie. he would play better if less tired due to more rest/less TOI but pkayong better might also be achieved in a 3rd pairing pkayer for less cap hit...So he mist go and bereaved as 2RD by a better player for the same or a bit more cap hit and the value as 3rd RD which is alk he is ore-orders must be manned by a cheaper dman giving the sMevor hopefully better value..

Thus Hawks need to trade him at the TDL ..but he will be usefull till TDL 2025 to help the Hawks stink enough...AGAIN to be a high lottery chance
participant in the the2025 draft (where it would be insane for Hawks to keep any#1 result if shrimps but good James Hagens will be taken ...rather trade it down to #2to takexPoeter Martine or trade it for and established still young emerging player who thectean ownibgbhom cannot keep for cap reasons ina next cobtract plus a sweetener pick or picks )...so being such a Tank Commander,Murphy can be a enormous boost to the Hawks longer term re-build..

Thus Mr.Barfy is actually of great value...by being so bad till TDL ...with 1 caveat...IF any team would trade for him...and that is hard to imagine...maybe...maybe if Hawks retain 50%..

Crow

May 19, 2014
Thought Murphy looked really good at the end of the year after returning from injury. Kind of surprised at some of the shit I’m reading here but I shouldn’t be after 10 years or whatever it’s been.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
Thought Murphy looked really good at the end of the year after returning from injury. Kind of surprised at some of the shit I’m reading here but I shouldn’t be after 10 years or whatever it’s been.

You had gotten used to watching Tinordi, Megna and Zaitsev on a regular basis. Yeah, Murph was a real breath of fresh air compared to them, no doubt.

Crow

May 19, 2014
You had gotten used to watching Tinordi, Megna and Zaitsev on a regular basis. Yeah, Murph was a real breath of fresh air compared to them, no doubt.
Yeah that’s fair. Expectations were very low at that point.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
He's always been very underwhelming to me. Bowman traded Hjalmarsson for him with the expectations we were getting a younger and reasonably equivalent caliber shutdown defenseman back in return. So whether that's fair or not is up to you I guess but I wouldn't have confidence in him in the playoffs to be a capable top 4 shutdown defenseman.

The Hawks have been the 2nd worst team in the league points-wise since he was traded here. That's not all or even mostly his fault by any means but IMHO it does speak to his deficiencies as a player at least somewhat.

I would never say he has a bad contract however and it's not something that needs to be traded off our roster. Especially for a 3rd or 4th round pick. His deal is fine and he's an experienced player who when healthy can give us 19+ minutes a night.

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Rozi getting positive reviews. Don't believe I heard these when he was here. It was trade him for bag of pucks back then.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
And yet ...Zadoriv goes to Vancouver and wss best player for them in pkayoffs.

Forsaking turned out pretty goid..a key dman for Florida ...very goidvpkayer now.

But when they with with the Hawks fans could not wait to get rid of them...crazy is it not?

Still .. Murohy is what..never improved since getting with Hawks.. Very average even when healthy..no offense...defebsiveky Slow and can get walked..can block shots but terrible at puck recovery after the block and late gettiing back to best defending position Fter the block.. so no way you could call him a "shutdiown" Dman...chaos on too many shifta hevis on even if somehow his chaos is numerically not as harmful as the chaos caused byv$9.5's lack of defending instincts.
In othercwords even when fully healthy unlike last season where Murphy was not merely underwhelming but terrible not fully healthy, there is too much danger from the ipos attack which he does nitcdo enough to nullify even if somehow the opps fail to cash inon more of the chances against him that you woukd expect would go into our net.

In short he is not good enough for 2nd pair

coupled with $9.5 as 1RD,our right D side is a laughingstock as thevooos lock their chips to exploit the weaknesses of Barfy and $9.5 and pucks stay in our d-zone way too long and resulting in high scores against.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
Zadorov may have made some big plays during the playoffs but the problems with his game were just as prevalent. Guy goes for big, out of position, hits that constantly cost odd-man rushes. Even during the season, there was a period that Vancouver wanted to get rid of him badly.

Zero regrets and glad the Hawks got rid of him.

Please don't act like the Hawks should have known better to see Zadorov getting "better" and Forsling to become what he has. Vancouver, Chicago, and Carolina all didn't see the current version of Forsling being possible. So, good on the player to evolve his game and become incredibly effective but please stop shitting on the Hawks for nothing but I understand that is your schtick these days.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad