Backlund available

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Looks like I did misunderstand a little. :laugh:

Its all good Backlund has become a very touchy subject around here. The way I see it is management should do 2 things.

1) Sit down and figure out where they projected Backlund to being (I see a good shutdown 3rd line center) and look at the value of those players. As well as look at our current center prospects and see which ones project to fill that spot and figure how confident they are that we can get another good shutdown center.

2) See what Backlunds value is now around the league to other teams and see what pieces we need he could bring back.

If they truly feel that Knight projects to what Backlund does and Backlund current value is enough to get us a big bodied RW with top 6 potential (or could be a good complementary player in the top 6 aka Kassian) or a big bodied defenseman that is about a year away then I think you pull the trigger. But if he isn't worth more now than he would be or we can't get the kind of player we want then we should keep Backlund.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What about Backlund for Kassian? We need size in the top 6 and Kassian could be that perfect guy to play with top players while not being one himself.

Can you imagine in a couple of years if everything works out

JG - Monahan - Kassian
Sven - Colborne/Jankowski - Poirier
I have had similar thoughts as well to be quite honest, but more along the lines of Stajan to the Canucks for Kassian at the deadline. As I am reluctant to part with Backlund for anything other than a puck moving defenseman

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I have had similar thoughts as well to be quite honest, but more along the lines of Stajan to the Canucks for Kassian at the deadline. As I am reluctant to part with Backlund for anything other than a puck moving defenseman

I feel that due to a) Gillis's ego he won't let Kassian go for a vet he will need a younger player and b) Due to the fact they want to win the fact that Backlund is cheap next gives him added value to Van.

I don't think we move Stajan yet but at the deadline I don't care which one goes I think that is a good deal for us.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Calgary Flames forward Mikael Backlund takes notice of trade rumours

For the record, Mikael Backlund wants to stay.
. . .
“I get Twitter, so I saw it on there. And I watch TSN, so I heard it there, too,†Backlund said after Saturday’s practice at the Saddledome. “Watching TV and my name comes up, it’s a little surprising. But at the same time, it’s part of the business and it hasn’t been a great start, so you kind of expect it, too, a little bit.â€
. . .
For a rebuilding bunch like the Flames, it wouldn’t make sense to move the young forward if the return didn’t include a guy in the same age range.

While Backlund was hoping to carve out an increased role in his fourth full season at the Saddledome, Calgary’s first-round pick from the 2007 NHL Draft insisted he’s not looking for a one-way ticket out of town.

“I love Calgary. I love the city, the fans, the guys in the room here,†Backlund said. “The organization has been great, so everything is good here. I enjoy my time here.

“Obviously, I want to play better and more, no doubt about that, but it’s a team game and I’m just trying to chip in and play hard.â€

If they're going to move him, I agree with the idea they should be pursuing a young potential top four defensemen or even a potential top six right winger. But it'd have to be package since he doesn't have a whole lot of value by himself. The interest seems to be coming from teams looking to pick him up for a song and hope he turns it around with them. And as nice as a Backlund+Butler/O'Brien for Gardiner/Gormley/Connolly package would be, it's not exactly feasible. Maybe Connolly if Yzerman wants to move on.

Edit: And for what's worth, if they're going to move Backlund so to keep Stajan (not that I agree with it) but they'd better have a contract in principle agreed to with Stajan. He doesn't really deserve much of a raise, if any at all, but he could use the Flames weakness down the middle (with regards to veteran presence) to leverage himself one.

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
There's no need to trade Backlund right now. Until Stajan signs on the dotted line, Backlund is sticking around. We might be forced to trade Stajan at the deadline.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton

Could you imagine though, if the lines work out the way he said, if Stajan is our third line center? He is the prototypical star 3rd line center, with his defensive abilities and ability to pop a few in when needed.

JulianHopper*

Will be interesting to see what the Flames can get in return for Mikael Backlund if they do indeed trade him.

If they can get a current roster player in return that would be probably better than what Backlund brings right now.

What I don't like about Backlund lately among other things is that he almost never finishes a check. Even when he has a guy lined up, he never finishes his check.

With all the new players in the system and with Joe Colborne and now Blair Jones in the Flames lineup, it's going to be tough for Backlund to keep a roster spot if he doesn't step up a bit to say the least.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
What about Backlund for Kassian? We need size in the top 6 and Kassian could be that perfect guy to play with top players while not being one himself.

JG - Monahan - Kassian

Don't forget the next 2 drafts, I was thinking more like...

JG - McDavid - Ritchie
Sven - Monahan - Poirier
Ferland - Colborne - Kassian

That's an increadably young, talented and hard to play against top 9!

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

If they're going to move him, I agree with the idea they should be pursuing a young potential top four defensemen or even a potential top six right winger. But it'd have to be package since he doesn't have a whole lot of value by himself. The interest seems to be coming from teams looking to pick him up for a song and hope he turns it around with them. And as nice as a Backlund+Butler/O'Brien for Gardiner/Gormley/Connolly package would be, it's not exactly feasible. Maybe Connolly if Yzerman wants to move on.

Edit: And for what's worth, if they're going to move Backlund so to keep Stajan (not that I agree with it) but they'd better have a contract in principle agreed to with Stajan. He doesn't really deserve much of a raise, if any at all, but he could use the Flames weakness down the middle (with regards to veteran presence) to leverage himself one.

Man im gonna cry if we deal Backlund. :(

Aug 3, 2010
Don't forget the next 2 drafts, I was thinking more like...

JG - McDavid - Ritchie
Sven - Monahan - Poirier
Ferland - Colborne - Kassian

That's an increadably young, talented and hard to play against top 9!
That's what the Oilers said too, three years ago. Needs more veterans.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
That's what the Oilers said too, three years ago. Needs more veterans.

True, but that's also a much deeper and balanced line up, than the Oilers are currently icing. Plus let's be honest, that's likely more like 4 years away, as the veteran contracts expire. There's a lot of "if's" in there too, more day dreaming more than anything but I do love the looks of that third line!

Last edited:

trckrdr

Jan 31, 2013

JG - Monahan - Kassian

If Kassian's all we could get, I'd much rather keep Backlund.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I like Backlund, but is anyone really going to give up a prospect+ for him? At best I think it would be a straight swap for another teams promising but currently disappointing prospect.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica

Stajan's the type of vet you want in the dressing room with a team as young as ours. I think the brass and the coaches know that too.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I like Backlund, but is anyone really going to give up a prospect+ for him? At best I think it would be a straight swap for another teams promising but currently disappointing prospect.

Exactly, the value isn't really that high. Still could work out pretty well if they target a defenseman, as they usually take a little longer to develope.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Spector's Hockey ‏@SpectorsHockey 9m
As per @DarrenDreger, #Hurricanes made offer for #Flames Mikael Backlund, Flames seeking more in return.

If I were to guess they probably offered up Tlusty for Backlund, which to me makes very little sense for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad