Backlund available

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Elliotte Friedman's 30 Thoughts:

12. The Calgary Flames will adopt Brian Burke's pre-Christmas "trade freeze." The NHL's moratorium begins Dec, 19; Burke's begins 10 days earlier. After the world juniors, the plan is for the organization to sit down and decide how to proceed with its unrestricted free agents, including Mike Cammalleri, Kris Russell, Matt Stajan and Lee Stempniak.

13. There is some interest in Mikael Backlund, who has another year under contract at $1.5 million and two more years before becoming an unrestricted free agent. Some doubt he is a top-six centre. But there is a feeling he could be an effective third-liner because he has good defensive sense. There are teams that believe Backlund is a victim of changing expectations in Calgary and would benefit from a fresh start.

While Backlund would undoubtedly benefit from a new start, the Flames can't afford to trade him until they get some idea of Stajan's intentions, i.e. whether he's willing to re-sign or not.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Who cares about Stajan's intentions. The Flames' intentions should be trading him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I want to see Backlund succeed as a Flame, but he needs the support of the coach and management to do so. I am not in the dressing room, but Sutter and now Hartley has been very hard on Backlund. If he won't get a proper shot to be a top 6 center for us, then I want him moved for something of quality because I think he does hold value.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
They should be trading Stajan but it doesn't seem as though they're going to. But who knows, Burke traded him before while rebuilding the Leafs - maybe they end up moving both Stajan and Backlund.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
They should be trading Stajan but it doesn't seem as though they're going to. But who knows, Burke traded him before while rebuilding the Leafs - maybe they end up moving both Stajan and Backlund.

I really think the Flames need to keep 2 of, Glencross, Cammy, Stajan and Stempniak. I'd personally like to keep Stajan because experience down the middle is so important. Our young guys will get destroyed matching up against all the power house teams in the West, that will not help their development in anyway.

Just sign him to a 2-year deal at 3 million and call it a day.

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
His no trade clause makes his intentions relevant.

Pretty sure it's a very limited NTC.

Stajan has historically only performed well in contract years. He's going to go right back to his 30 point self if we re-sign him.

I'd rather lose Stajan for nothing than re-sign him.

Flames7676

Jun 17, 2013
Alberta
Stajan and Russell need to be re-signed.

Stajan, Monahan, Knight, and Reinhart for our centers next year.

Would like to see how Stajan does throughout the season but at the moment I would want him resigned. Russell is just a beast that Needs to be resigned.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Pretty sure it's a very limited NTC.

Stajan has historically only performed well in contract years. He's going to go right back to his 30 point self if we re-sign him.

I'd rather lose Stajan for nothing than re-sign him.

Stajan's effort is the same night in and night out. His production is due to a consistency of being played in the top 6.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Stajan's effort is the same night in and night out. His production is due to a consistency of being played in the top 6.
now now MVW you can't go and let something like the truth get in the way of a good story.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Stajan and Russell need to be re-signed.

Stajan, Monahan, Knight, and Reinhart for our centers next year.

Reinhart's playing mostly wing now with the Heat if I'm not mistaken. It'll be Stajan/Centre acquired through trade or free agency, Monahan, Colborne and Knight.

Given coaching/managements policy of blatant favoritism, Colborne's going to be given every chance to succeed and then some before they even think of parting ways. And who knows, maybe he'll even look like a competent third line centre by the end of the season.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Reinhart's playing mostly wing now with the Heat if I'm not mistaken. It'll be Stajan/Centre acquired through trade or free agency, Monahan, Colborne and Knight.

Given coaching/managements policy of blatant favoritism, Colborne's going to be given every chance to succeed and then some before they even think of parting ways. And who knows, maybe he'll even look like a competent third line centre by the end of the season.

Oh god, how did I forget Colborne?

Stajan, Monahan, Colborne, and Knight/Reinhart.

Rockmorton

Oct 26, 2011
Oh god, how did I forget Colborne?

Stajan, Monahan, Colborne, and Knight/Reinhart.

Exactly. Sign Stajan to a 2 yr/5 mil (2.5 per) contract with a handshake agreement that if/when Monahan is ready for first line duties by next years deadline, Stajan will be dealt to a contender. Seems like everybody wins.

JulianHopper*

Hopefully there weren't to many scouts at last night's game watching Mikael Backland. I can't imagine his trade value being that high at all. He plays very small and soft, took a pretty big hit there last night, I forget who from though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Hopefully there weren't to many scouts at last night's game watching Mikael Backland. I can't imagine his trade value being that high at all. He plays very small and soft, took a pretty big hit there last night, I forget who from though.

He played under ten minutes. Hartley sits him for the entire third period, then suddenly throws him out with one minute left. I don't know what Hartley's trying to prove to him right now.

He's shown that he can help out offensively when he plays with offensive players, but Hartley doesn't seem to want that.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Hopefully Backlund gets a chance now with Monahan out. But knowing Hartley he will just increase Colbornes minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Finland
    Austria vs Finland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,377.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Sweden vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $1,050.00