Post-Game Talk: Ba Bada Bum Bada Bum Bada Bum

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Cam Talbot in 2016-17 and Mike Smith (various seasons) are the only two guys who have stolen games for us in net on a more than once in a blue moon kind of way.

Marchessault literally scored a career high 42 goals last season, lol.
While being a goal suck most of the time and hasn't done much in playoffs since SC. Note that he was a - player despite the lofty goal totals. Marsh was playing for next contract it seems. Him and Vegas were lacking teeth last year. I could see Marsh and Stamkos both in Nashville as retirement contracts and nice places to hide and get paid.

Reactions: Oilhawks

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Preds are really struggling. But probably going to get a lot of tongue lashing before game on Thursday. See if they show up. When teams get offensive help it seems often they initially struggle.

I don't see Preds as a contender. Contender only to be battling for a WC spot in last games. Marshassault and Stamkos of course well past prime.

I don’t really see it with them either.

I think Skjei was a good pick up. Marchessault is a gamer though. Stamkos is PP wizard but doesn’t have Kucherov, Point, Hedman etc getting him the puck.

I think they are a playoff team but that’s about it. Getting the players they did probably just pushed them out of the bubble.

I am pretty high on Brunette as a coach though. But yeah, surprised they are struggling to the extent they are.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think he can keep his head above water as a 3RD. 2:44 PK minutes last night in a close game - mind you one with too many penalties including a 5 min and other d penalties that maybe stretched his PK time on ice.

Emberson was always going to be a work in progress. There's a one year runway history with the coach. He's going to get runway to stabilize his game as a 3RD. With his cheap expiring contract and right handedness he would be a waiver wire risk unlike Brown and Stetcher with term deals.

Four games is too soon to make reactive decisions on this player. Especially when the team's issues are across the line-up and all facets of the game. Last night's deployment and support PK work is a positive.
All that PK time is from earlier and he Barely played after mid game, he played under 11 mins.

He might be a work in progress, but that progress can't be done here. In Bako, that would be great, but this team can't deal with a hole

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
While being a goal suck most of the time and hasn't done much in playoffs since SC. Note that he was a - player despite the lofty goal totals. Marsh was playing for next contract it seems. Him and Vegas were lacking teeth last year. I could see Marsh and Stamkos both in Nashville as retirement contracts and nice places to hide and get paid.

The whole "you're in your 30s so you're done" thing is way overplayed.

It's 2024 now, not 2004, the way athletes train, diet, and even supplement (legally or not) is light years better than what it was in the past, we're seeing top tennis players play almost to age 40 in a sport where you used to be washed up after age 25.

In basketball, LeBron James is turning 40 this year, Durant and Curry are over 35 and still all top players in the league.

It was inevitably going to filter into hockey too, guys will be performing well into their 30s. There's less cheap shots that can lead to career altering injuries and the way the players train, eat, and condition themselves is simply way better.

In the Amazon series you can see McDavid has a full time chef in his home that cooks all his meals for performance.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
The Preds have ROR and Forsberg who are both gamers. I wasn't a fan of the Stamkos contract but he should be good for 20+ goals regardless.

Reactions: GOilers88

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The whole "you're in your 30s so you're done" thing is way overplayed.

It's 2024 now, not 2004, the way athletes train, diet, and even supplement (legally or not) is light years better than what it was in the past, we're seeing top tennis players play almost to age 40 in a sport where you used to be washed up after age 25.

In basketball, LeBron James is turning 40 this year, Durant and Curry are over 35 and still all top players in the league.

It was inevitably going to filter into hockey too, guys will be performing well into their 30s. There's less cheap shots that can lead to career altering injuries and the way the players train, eat, and condition themselves is simply way better.

In the Amazon series you can see McDavid has a full time chef in his home that cooks all his meals for performance.
Its possible. But a lot of the games I'm seeing its a young persons game a lot too. For sure older players are increasingly training better, lookng after themselves. The bar was real low in hockey in 70's. But the star playes are now eating more punishment than they ever have before.

Removing the role of enforcers in the NHL has had the unintended effect that star players are eating lumber and illegal hits all the time. NHL won't police itself and DOPS is a complete joke as we know.

All the training in the world doesn't counteract injury potentials. Would need to see comprehensive games lost stats in present day to fully conclude what you have.

Basketball is zero comparison to hockey. If you breath on somebody in Basketball theres fouls. can't even watch that shit.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

I think Skjei was a good pick up. Marchessault is a gamer though. Stamkos is PP wizard but doesn’t have Kucherov, Point, Hedman etc getting him the puck.

I think they are a playoff team but that’s about it. Getting the players they did probably just pushed them out of the bubble.

I am pretty high on Brunette as a coach though. But yeah, surprised they are struggling to the extent they are.
They are top heavy team with the top past their prime. Bottom 6m forwards were all -3 or -4 last night costing them the game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
The Preds have ROR and Forsberg who are both gamers. I wasn't a fan of the Stamkos contract but he should be good for 20+ goals regardless.
One of the unintended effects when you add multiple star players to a lineup is that the long suffering stars previously on that lineup that have been holdng everything up have fall back years. Suddenly the weight of expectation is lifted. Its a weird phenomenon but seems to occur at times. Could see Preds barely making playoffs. On paper they should be there but doesn't always work out that way.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Its possible. But a lot of the games I'm seeing its a young persons game a lot too. For sure older players are increasingly training better, lookng after themselves. The bar was real low in hockey in 70's. But the star playes are now eating more punishment than they ever have before.

Removing the role of enforcers in the NHL has had the unintended effect that star players are eating lumber and illegal hits all the time. NHL won't police itself and DOPS is a complete joke as we know.

All the training in the world doesn't counteract injury potentials. Would need to see comprehensive games lost stats in present day to fully conclude what you have.

Basketball is zero comparison to hockey. If you breath on somebody in Basketball theres fouls. can't even watch that shit.

Basketball is hard on the knees, basically destroys them with continual impact from jumping and landing, as you get into your 30s and especially closer to 40 you're toast. I almost would rather play ice hockey because the impact on your joints isn't as severe.

NHL is no where near as physical as what it was and that's good. Watching a POS like Robyn Regher take unlimited head shots at Hemsky was disgusting (and no wonder Hemsky today has depression issues which are no doubt related to concussions ... he should honestly sue the shit out of the NHL).

You will see athletes play longer in all sports across the board. The training and diet and "other" supplements available today are just much better than what it was even 10-20 years ago let alone 30.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
People need to relax! It is extrodinary that a roster changes so much after getting to game 7 of the final. Look at Nashvilles talent and the struggle to fit their roster together effectively. JSkinner was crap to start, now among are best. Arivi was great to start but has struggled. With 12 forwards we are bound to have injuries. Suspect McD, RNH and Arvidsson may be less than 100%. RD is going to have growing pains. Deal with it! Still 78 games to go

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
All that PK time is from earlier and he Barely played after mid game, he played under 11 mins.

He might be a work in progress, but that progress can't be done here. In Bako, that would be great, but this team can't deal with a hole
He's a #6/#7 working to establish himself as an NHL player. He's worth the roster spot with better managed minutes and deployment to see him through a wobbly team start with bigger issues being worked through. Kulak was awful on the first PK goals against and the team's second PK unit a concern.

This team's hole is 2RD which pushes end of roster guys including Emberson beyond their abilities. The benefit of Emberson is decent size, good skating, and some prospective latent potential. He's a reasonable bet right now even through this team's rocky start in which the issues are well beyond a #6 support d with managed minutes. Emberson is not the reason this team hasn't scored, can't PK, or help hemmorage goals against.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Basketball is hard on the knees, basically destroys them with continual impact from jumping and landing, as you get into your 30s and especially closer to 40 you're toast. I almost would rather play ice hockey because the impact on your joints isn't as severe.

NHL is no where near as physical as what it was and that's good. Watching a POS like Robyn Regher take unlimited head shots at Hemsky was disgusting (and no wonder Hemsky today has depression issues which are no doubt related to concussions ... he should honestly sue the shit out of the NHL).

You will see athletes play longer in all sports across the board. The training and diet and "other" supplements available today are just much better than what it was even 10-20 years ago let alone 30.
Which is why I gave up the sport at a young age. My whole take on Basketball is this is one sport that is terrible for you. Fair point.

But I wouldn't agree with any precept of hockey being easier on the body. Many many more concussions, brain injuries, back injuries etc. Tons of knee injuries as well due to the basic speed and torque and boards. Basketball doesn't have boards. With a hockey thats a whole other level of mechanism of injury. Unforgiving boards.

Reminded briefly of indoor soccer. lol, with boards more of a bloodsport than the on field version. heh

People need to relax! It is extrodinary that a roster changes so much after getting to game 7 of the final. Look at Nashvilles talent and the struggle to fit their roster together effectively. JSkinner was crap to start, now among are best. Arivi was great to start but has struggled. With 12 forwards we are bound to have injuries. Suspect McD, RNH and Arvidsson may be less than 100%. RD is going to have growing pains. Deal with it! Still 78 games to go
Just breathe with me. lol I was having trouble last night gripping the chair...

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Early season and a lot of decent clubs struggling and a lot of fictions like Calgary are running perfect. Like they say teams that are lunchbucket clubs do better early season, easier to unpack simple games. Calgary might have a bit more sustain to them this season. Got some players believing so far and getting goaltending no matter who is in net.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
Drai's inability to run his own line is a proven fact that we see year after year but choose to ignore it because he ends the night with a point or two.

Also, who t f started calling Arvi 'RV ' here?
I'm not sure if you actually believe this or if this is just a response to put another poster in his/her place.

Small sample size from a long time ago and that line had Yamamoto on it.
Name me 2 wingers Drai has had great success with for a stretch. Or even easier, name me just one at ES.
This post belongs on the mainboards. Name me 2 wingers Drai has for any consistent amount of time had that aren't playing in Europe right now or considered dregs of the NHL.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Do my eyes deceive me? Secondary scoring that wasn't generated by McDavid or Drai?

But seriously the third line looks promising, even with the top 6 struggling. Henrique-Brown is a solid defensive combo and Henrique-Skinner seem like they work well together offensively.

The only downside is that does push Podkolzin (and/or Perry) into the top 6, which is less than ideal, though I do like his energy. Though it's not like cheap middle 6 wings are difficult to find, plus Kane would also fit that hole.

Stecher also shows you the archetype you need with Nurse. Someone who's quick, has decent anticipation., and a willingness to make the puck. Doesn't need to be a world beater, just a right handed Kulak would be enough.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I'm not sure if you actually believe this or if this is just a response to put another poster in his/her place.

This post belongs on the mainboards. Name me 2 wingers Drai has for any consistent amount of time had that aren't playing in Europe right now or considered dregs of the NHL.
Thanks man. heh.

Yeah, the right answer is the bolded.

Oh wait,the player Drai was playing with for years more than any other was a walk on PTO now that barely got a job. Its Drais fault though, always, that Yamanothing didn't work. hehe

Do my eyes deceive me? Secondary scoring that wasn't generated by McDavid or Drai?

But seriously the third line looks promising, even with the top 6 struggling. Henrique-Brown is a solid defensive combo and Henrique-Skinner seem like they work well together offensively.

The only downside is that does push Podkolzin (and/or Perry) into the top 6, which is less than ideal, though I do like his energy. Though it's not like cheap middle 6 wings are difficult to find, plus Kane would also fit that hole.

Stecher also shows you the archetype you need with Nurse. Someone who's quick, has decent anticipation., and a willingness to make the puck. Doesn't need to be a world beater, just a right handed Kulak would be enough.
Henrique is awesome. Full year of him will be interesting. Brown showing more pace this year.

Reactions: Duke74

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Not sure if this is scsarcasm.
Drai's inability to run his own line is a proven fact that we see year after year but choose to ignore it because he ends the night with a point or two.

Also, who t f started calling Arvi 'RV ' here?
It was sarcasm.

I doubt McDavid would be able to run a line with Kahun and rieder also.

It was more so to say you can’t take much away from one game where Arvidsson didn’t play with mcdrai

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It's on ice refs AND the f***ers video reviewing in Toronto
"Its an Edmonton game so lets make them wait 15mins for a call and give them the wrong call just to f*** with them." Control room had some Netflix up...

You should change your name to Anti-Drivesaitl ;)
I thought it already was. ;)

Don't encourage it. 5 people would sign up with that username immediately. ;)

LTIR is fine as a poster. Mostly just fun and games and ribbing. Seems tongue in cheek as well.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Duke74

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
You can be 2xPPG player and still get benched. See last night. I am not claiming that Draisaitl can't get to 100pts+ .. I am claiming that Henrique is a better 2C and Draisaitl should stick on McLine either as W or C.

So once again what winger at ES has Draisaitl really clicked with in the last 8 yrs?

So during those stints Hall, Yamo and RNH. All were very productive as lines during McDavids absence

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Listening to Friedman on a podcast driving down to Calgary this morning and he was saying that the league had told teams that if you go into the crease on your own volition a goal won’t count. So it seems we’re back to the toe in the crease rule.

Hopefully the league can see how stupid and needless this is and drops it sooner than later. Mind you the standard changes on a nightly basis so who knows with this league anymore.

All I know is the NHL is incapable of getting out of its own way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad