Post-Game Talk: Ba Bada Bum Bada Bum Bada Bum

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don’t even disagree but I think it’s early to write him off completely. Play as the 6/7 for a stretch and then make a call 30 ish games in.
Yeah, they can't have a guy playing 8 to 10 mins a night who can't play any special teams on the roster.

If they had a legit 2RD, they could slow play him, but they need a guy who can contribute a bit, Emberson absolutely does not.

No it would be stupid. Emberson is a 24 year old Dman with 33 games of NHL experience, it was be stupid to waive him for the sake of signing another old guy. The Oilers need to develop cheap young talent. Emberson has ability, he just needs more reps. It would be lunacy to toss him to the waiver wire without a trial run.
Again, I'm not taking about young player struggles, new team struggles, I'm talking about a guy who looks overwhelmed by the NHL.

The Oilers absolutely need to develop cheap depth, but that player has to be able to play, we can't just assume they will.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Again, I'm not taking about young player struggles, new team struggles, I'm talking about a guy who looks overwhelmed by the NHL.
33 games experience Jimmi. It's going to take time, the Oilers need to stop throwing away young assets.
They don't need to waive anybody right now. They have their 7 D, just keep working with these guys to find a fit because there is no cavalry coming. If they sign a Shattenkirk or Schutlz then you waive Dermott.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Yeah, they can't have a guy playing 8 to 10 mins a night who can't play any special teams on the roster.

If they had a legit 2RD, they could slow play him, but they need a guy who can contribute a bit, Emberson absolutely does not.

The Oilers absolutely need to develop cheap depth, but that player has to be able to play, we can't just assume they will.
He played last year and produced good results on a bad team. Obviously that could be a fluke but I think there’s more here than some UFA still not signed that’ll be in Europe or retired 12 months from now.

It’s clear no significant addition can be made until the deadline so I’m for giving a young player some reps to see if he can recreate his play from last season.

Reactions: North

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
So what happened in the 3rd that got them going? Do you think it was the 2 fights or the absolutely god awful penalty that your favorite $14 million dollar player took that would have gotten a bottom 6 player scratched for the next game. Your takes are hilariously bad, you'd rather a bunch of players that skate in circles doing nothing.
lol. Drai is making 8.5M this year but obvious you have issue with the contract that hasn't even commenced.

Oh for sure. First of all I’m sick of the 8:20 starts for an 8 o’clock game. The timeline for reviews is ridiculous, there should be a timer and after a minute or something it’s over. If you haven’t found what you are looking for the original call stands.

We joked that we were surprised that a pane of glass didn’t break in the first and they had to fix it to make it even longer. Everything else happened.
Why did the game start so late. Couldn't figure that out. What was the delay? When we're on the road, especially in US games start around 5mins after broadcast start. Why so long here. The whole game took forever to get finished. Well over 3hrs for this one. lol even if I PVR'ed this game and set extra 30mins I wouldn't have seen either the tying goal or OT.

Last edited:

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Stetcher isn't likely to hold up in the top 4 all year. That's not him. But he's good for spot duty. Seems like the best bet would be keep Emberson around until you actually have a better option instead of waiving and losing him and hoping someone like Kemp will do better.

Reactions: TB12 and Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Who was drai playing with tonight? McDavid.

Knobs getting the impression drai can’t run his own line.

Am I doing this right?
Drai hasn't played well outside of one game. Looks slow, perennially hurt, and taking bad penalties. Frustration obviously running high with both McDrai. NHL making sure of this to. Do we blame these speicific players all day or acknowledge NHL is letting it be open season on them.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
No on should be above being bench, even McDavid. McDrai looks like ass this ass. They need to get going and start making smart plays.

McDavid was awful last night and blew a f***ing OT breakaway. McDavid has lost his touch, his passing was awful, on the PP he couldn’t hit Drai despite many attempts, he put it in his skates or missed out right. He looks behind the play and is doing a lot of ice, but accomplishing nothing, just like Taylor Hall did, we know he is capable of more, so does he, I know he will right it, but something looks up.

I just don’t understand why he never shoots anymore. Did he forget he won the rocket? Awesome player but its baffling to me. I think he has a very stubborn personality.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I don't get the flak Bouchard takes on this board either. Seems like people really want to carve our star players every time out. I barely read GDT's but Booch was getting it yesterday and in this thread. Yet he heroically scores tying goal with minutes left, without which the team is 0-4. Booch has been pretty good for early season. Takes a bit longer for skill players to unpack. The bobbles at blueline he's being blamed for every day are in many cases ill advised passes back.

Oilers of course run a one D PP. Booch being only one back. I've seen the club mail him 50/50 pucks back there which isn't so great. Happened 1min into the season. Booch has saved a lot of pucks that shouldn't even have been passed to him. Essentially our PP thus far has been McDrai and Booch passing it around because Nuge and Hyman haven't found their game. This is asking a lot of a one D back. Its asking for some disasters the degree to which we play puck back to Booch. Meanwhile guys like Perry hit a goal post and have a fight and they're apparently hero's on the board despite being so limited they play only 7mins. A team serious about winning it all shouldn't even have players like this with bit minutes, that can only handle bit minutes.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Stetcher isn't likely to hold up in the top 4 all year. That's not him. But he's good for spot duty. Seems like the best bet would be keep Emberson around until you actually have a better option instead of waiving and losing him and hoping someone like Kemp will do better.

Just sign Schultz or Shattenkirk already, send Dermott down on waivers since he's unlikely to be claimed and roll with

Ekholm Bouchard
Nurse Stetcher
Kulak Schultz/Shatt
Emberson

Honestly too I think the hysteria over Josh Brown making some mistakes in preseason was stupid too.

He's a huge body who can play physical and was a plus player on a bad Arizona team last year, the whole "I've seen everything I need to see on a player in 20 minutes and I know I automatically don't like this player" shit is so stupid.

He should get a look at some point here too, we could use the physicality.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I just don’t understand why he never shoots anymore. Did he forget he won the rocket? Awesome player but its baffling to me. I think he has a very stubborn personality.
Hand injury I suspect, and which was again hurt last night. This isn't likely to get a lot better quickly. Evident too McD is having trouble taking passes and handling puck at speed. We get so used to him being a magician out there that we expect it all the time. the goal of opponents is to rough up McD so he's always playing hurt. Its been working to some degree.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
I don't get the flak Bouchard takes on this board either. Seems like people really want to carve our star players every time out. I barely read GDT's but Booch was getting it yesterday and in this thread. Yet he heroically scores tying goal with minutes left, without which the team is 0-4. Booch has been pretty good for early season. Takes a bit longer for skill players to unpack. The bobbles at blueline he's being blamed for every day are in many cases ill advised passes back.

Oilers of course run a one D PP. Booch being only one back. I've seen the club mail him 50/50 pucks back there which isn't so great. Happened 1min into the season. Booch has saved a lot of pucks that shouldn't even have been passed to him. Essentially our PP thus far has been McDrai and Booch passing it around because Nuge and Hyman haven't found their game. This is asking a lot of a one D back. Its asking for some disasters the degree to which we play puck back to Booch. Meanwhile guys like Perry hit a goal post and have a fight and they're apparently hero's on the board despite being so limited they play only 7mins. A team serious about winning it all shouldn't even have players like this with bit minutes, that can only handle bit minutes.
Aside from that play, which was fantastic activation in itself, he was horrible. He was horrible the game before, and the one before that. He truly has looked like a shell of himself, bobbles at the blue line, lackadaisical and lethargic looking turnovers into the feet of an opposing player. He has certainly regressed, but the expectation was the opposite so expect flak.

In fairness, if he takes a step back for us it is likely a good thing because it will give us leverage during negotiations. I just want him to come back to reality and solidify himself as who he is, not what he should be from a one season sample size and a historic playoff run.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hand injury I suspect, and which was again hurt last night. This isn't likely to get a lot better quickly. Evident too McD is having trouble taking passes and handling puck at speed. We get so used to him being a magician out there that we expect it all the time. the goal of opponents is to rough up McD so he's always playing hurt. Its been working to some degree.

Well if he’s hurt already, we are in trouble.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Skinner was rock solid last night too. Still label him as inconsistent. Can be so good one night, and total ass the other night
Watch some OOT games and we're getting the skakiest goaltending outside of Colorado. Calgary game last night both goalies were rocking it. Lots of scoring chances, lots of shots, low scoring game. When do we ever give up as much as Calgary and get the goalie just shutting the door like that.

Aside from that play, which was fantastic activation in itself, he was horrible. He was horrible the game before, and the one before that. He truly has looked like a shell of himself, bobbles at the blue line, lackadaisical and lethargic looking turnovers into the feet of an opposing player. He has certainly regressed, but the expectation was the opposite so expect flak.

In fairness, if he takes a step back for us it is likely a good thing because it will give us leverage during negotiations. I just want him to come back to reality and solidify himself as who he is, not what he should be from a one season sample size and a historic playoff run.
Thanks for the reply. I do think we put a lot on him and also due to how much Nurse has struggled. Lets not forget the weight Booch is shouldering so quickly. D take a lot of time and right now Booch is the D that all opponents are targeting because he's such a huge part of our offense.

The guy ran PPG numbers last season as a D. Thats world beating level stuff. So he's sure earned my trust and benefit of doubt.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Holy hell, team finally wins a big, gritty, galvanizing game and people bleating on about the team being old, Arvidsson sucks, teams old, Arvidsson sucks, we miss McLeod (LOL!!) and Foegele, Arvidsson sucks, team is old....

Can we just enjoy this one win? Again, as has been repeated countless times, take out Perry and Ryan and this team isn't some decrepit fossil. Prime players still in their prime. They had a SC hangover, these things exist.
my apology for that. I get stuck on a topic and some tunnel vision. For some reason I found the game last night frustrating. Shouldn't have posted. Sorry again

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

People really don't understand that a massive Wedding/Honeymoon in July + playing into late June and not skating basically at all until August can have a massive impact on a player. That's probably the least skating he's done in an off-season since he was like 8 years old or something.

You can tell most people here haven't played any kind of organized sport at any high level (lets say high school or better).

You're not gonna radically alter your off-season training especially when you are a very regimented, strict athlete like McDavid and not have any rust because of that.

Reactions: Duke74

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Of course you can't assume they will but you can't know if they can play until you give them a chance to play. 3 games isn't even remotely enough of a sample size to know for sure especially when there's absolutely nobody else good enough or ready enough in the case of Wanner and Akey to fill the role.

This is the issue with letting Broberg go (and I get it due to $4.6m). They're now forced into this position that they have to give Emberson a shot now, their present and future quite frankly depends on it. Stecher can fill the Ceci role for now but they need somebody to fill the Broberg role short and long term so they have to give Emberson a long trial run, Dermott ain't it I see Emberson with a bigger upside.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Something possibly u with Hyman too. He's going through something. Not that we're getting anywhere close to 70 goals again. That was superhuman. Teams are sure picking him up on checks more now. Some NHL correction occurring. Hard player to shutdown.

On our PP we need some different wrinkles. We've been running the NHL's show on PP for so long teams would be dunces not to pick up on some of our common scoring sets. Should still be one of the best PP's in league but teams are playing it better now.

Missing smitty

Oct 1, 2018
lol. Drai is making 8.5M this year but obvious you have issue with the contract that hasn't even commenced.
Lol, he signed the deal and took one of the most childish penalties I've seen an NHL took. The guy is dirty and brings this shit on himself.

He's incredibly talented, but he brings all the criticism from media and fans on himself. I'm sure when he's in his 30s, he'll grow up and realize you can't act the way he does, but he does this too himself.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Final comment: I can't have been the only one stunned to find out that Erik Johnson is still in the NHL??? what a legend - 10 more games for 1000. Good for him, he fought injury a lot in his career

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad