Confirmed with Link: Axel Sandin-Pellikka signs three year entry level contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Is it safe to say he will eventually will be at least as good as Hronek once he makes the team?
Depends. If we're comparing ASP playing his first NHL games to be as good as Hronek was as a 2022-23 Red Wing, we might be a bit disappointed if we expect him to hit his stride that quick

Hronek was a very good offensive #4 in Detroit I'd say. After half a season of NHL play could ASP surpass that? Maybe. We'll have to see if he's immediately a Red Wing or if he cooks in Grand Rapids for some time in 2025-26 to make a judgement on that

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Depends. If we're comparing ASP playing his first NHL games to be as good as Hronek was as a 2022-23 Red Wing, we might be a bit disappointed if we expect him to hit his stride that quick

Hronek was a very good offensive #4 in Detroit I'd say. After half a season of NHL play could ASP surpass that? Maybe. We'll have to see if he's immediately a Red Wing or if he cooks in Grand Rapids for some time in 2025-26 to make a judgement on that

I'd agree with this. ASP isn't a clearcut #1 in Skelleftea and I think a full season in Grand Rapids in 2025-26 would allow him to embrace that role so we can get a true gauge on where he's at.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
Wouldn't be the first defenseman to make the show without it...

I'd add, it's not like he's being sheltered..going back to the playoffs last year, he's playing 19-20 minutes a night for the SHL champions. Sure, he's obviously known for his offense, but I've seen very little analysis that he's a defensive black hole in a tough defensive league, other than assumptions.

Reactions: norrisnick

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I'd add, it's not like he's being sheltered..going back to the playoffs last year, he's playing 19-20 minutes a night for the SHL champions. Sure, he's obviously known for his offense, but I've seen very little analysis that he's a defensive black hole in a tough defensive league, other than assumptions.

It definitely improved from his draft year but ASP's defense still needs some cleaning up. This is my observations purely of last season regarding his defensive play; His compete in the corners is much better but he's gotta work on body positioning and getting stronger to win more of his 50/50 battles. His retrievals are better but can still get caught puck watching. His handling is top, top notch when evading the opposition. But he's not as fast as a Hughes brother (despite him thinking that) which will make it more difficult for him to pull his moves off on smaller ice. And he has to clean up his decision making with the puck in his end, as ASP prefers to carry it out more often than pass even though it's not always the best choice.

Still a terrific prospect for Detroit. Also still a project pick. He might become just another small, mid Swedish 1st round defenseman like Boqvist or Lundqvist. He might become another Chabot, Gostisbehere or Barrie and we have to take the good with the bad. He might become Adam Fox. We don't know yet and likely won't for another 3 years.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
It definitely improved from his draft year but ASP's defense still needs some cleaning up. This is my observations purely of last season regarding his defensive play; His compete in the corners is much better but he's gotta work on body positioning and getting stronger to win more of his 50/50 battles. His retrievals are better but can still get caught puck watching. His handling is top, top notch when evading the opposition. But he's not as fast as a Hughes brother (despite him thinking that) which will make it more difficult for him to pull his moves off on smaller ice. And he has to clean up his decision making with the puck in his end, as ASP prefers to carry it out more often than pass even though it's not always the best choice.

Still a terrific prospect for Detroit. Also still a project pick. He might become just another small, mid Swedish 1st round defenseman like Boqvist or Lundqvist. He might become another Chabot, Gostisbehere or Barrie and we have to take the good with the bad. He might become Adam Fox. We don't know yet and likely won't for another 3 years.
Boqvist is good comparison, he was 19 when he split AHL and NHL season , mostly NHL. ASP going to be year older in 25-26 season. So far he's goal per game, let's see what will happen next season. By the way there's a history of small defansman coming at 18 - 20 and dominate

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008

Thing is none is fully developed until they actually start playing in NHL. ASP still not good defensively, he will needs to get paired with stay home defansman , he creates offense, how many players we have like that?.
I remember when Makar came to NHL he was playing like extra forward, not defence.
There's nothing for ASP to learn in AHL. Year or two from now , but he should be playing in NHL .

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
And for all you youngin's out there, the goal used to be held to the ice by magnets, which unsurprisingly would sometimes get frozen to the post. Yzerman slid into the goalpost knees first and it didn't come off as easily as it should have, screwing up his knee forever.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
And for all you youngin's out there, the goal used to be held to the ice by magnets, which unsurprisingly would sometimes get frozen to the post. Yzerman slid into the goalpost knees first and it didn't come off as easily as it should have, screwing up his knee forever.

Those are the worst kind of injuries where you don't just get injured you get maimed :( I once over compressed my knee on a climbing wall and now any time I go up and down stairs I am reminded of some meaningless wall climb I did 5 years ago :mad:

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Those are the worst kind of injuries where you don't just get injured you get maimed :( I once over compressed my knee on a climbing wall and now any time I go up and down stairs I am reminded of some meaningless wall climb I did 5 years ago :mad:

Have you heard about Mark Howe and why the switch from rigid posts sticking out of the ice to hold the net in place was made? :eek3:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad