Post-Game Talk: Avs @ Wings 5.30PM MST || We get it. JLA has lively boards.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I have one simple question.

Why the hell does this team picks up d-men like Zanon, O'Brien, Hejda etc... if they are going to scratch this players through out the season. All this average d-men they pick up suck in many games and take turns getting scratched.

Why not just keep Elliott and Barrie all season and let them develop in the NHL. It's not like Zanon, O'Brien help this team win many games.

Edit: I guess the problem is that on a good team Zanon, O'Brien, Hejda, O'Byrne, Hunwick, Wilson all would be 5th 6h d-men.

Precisely my question since the beginning of the season. I even defended the pickups of some of these guys at the onset, but the O'Brien extension becomes more puzzling by the day. The Avs always seem very wary of guys who partake in extracurricular activities outside the rink, so keeping a guy like that around for three more seasons was and continues to be a head-scratcher. And sure enough, he came into camp a little out of shape and was summarily exiled to the press box. It certainly adds more credence to TPS's indications that coaching and management are simply not on the same page.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The emergence of Barrie has made these guys healthy scratches more often than they would be.

If Barrie hadnt stepped up, these guys would be in the lineup just because of injuries.
M
Its never bad to have too many defencemen. They give younger players the necessary time to adjust if need be.

In a shortened season like this, injuries are so prevalent to all teams. You need to have a lot of depth. Now, we have a lot of crappy depth, but depth nonetheless.

Yeah but will it really make much difference for the Avs? I mean they can call up players from AHL that can do the same job as Zanon or Hunwick or O'Brien does.

It's not like the current d is gonna get this team into playoffs. This team badly needs to draft Seth Jones.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
What if the Avs are my future?

Then I feel sorry for you, unless you're gonna be the next ROR with a 6.5 mill contract, if that's what you mean Avs are your future.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Zanon scratched

a.gif

my prayers have been answered :handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

Grackle Party

Full of guts!!
Jun 11, 2007
Cream City
Thats great that Elliot is back in and Zannon is scratched but I just dont see how ROB is untouchable... yeah he scored a goal but he is so passive and useless in the Avs zone, doesnt hit, doesnt clear the crease, cant retieve the puck because hes too slow...

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
ROB plays til he's traded (soon with EJ and Wilson coming back) and Zanon could get dealt, but Avs want to be sure EJ and Wilson are back for sure.
EJ-Wilson
Barrie-Hejda
Elliot-SOB (liked him with the kids last year on the bottom pairing, and good "locker room guy")
Hunwick
Pock/Gaunce could come up for injury)

Still plenty of depth, even if no Defenseman comes back in a trade.
Admittedly, I'm still all in for trying to get Ballard for ROB+ though.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
ROB plays til he's traded (soon with EJ and Wilson coming back) and Zanon could get dealt, but Avs want to be sure EJ and Wilson are back for sure.
EJ-Wilson
Barrie-Hejda
Elliot-SOB (liked him with the kids last year on the bottom pairing, and good "locker room guy")
Hunwick
Pock/Gaunce could come up for injury)

Still plenty of depth, even if no Defenseman comes back in a trade.
Admittedly, I'm still all in for trying to get Ballard for ROB+ though.

The Avs don't need depth on D. They need a 1 or #2 d-man for the top pair with EJ. Then they need few top 4 guys. Hopefully Barrie and Elliott can develop into solid top 4, but until they do this team has EJ and bunch of bottom pair d-men.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

I still find it funny that no one in the Avs organization acknowledge that this team is very weak on the blue line and they could use some help back there.

It's like the alcoholic not admitting he has a problem. Unless he does he won't get any help and will continue drinking.

I'd like to hear someone on the Avs say their blue line is crap and needs to be fixed. It's funny that Landeskog thinks the Avs are a playoff team with ROR back.

But then again, that's part of NHL cliche. You ask any player on any team and they'll say it's time to win and make the playoffs. This league needs people that can speak their minds, not just say what everyone else says.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The Avs don't need depth on D. They need a 1 or #2 d-man for the top pair with EJ. Then they need few top 4 guys. Hopefully Barrie and Elliott can develop into solid top 4, but until they do this team has EJ and bunch of bottom pair d-men.

Yes I know. was not stating we needed depth, just trade away 2-3 of our bottom Dmen to make room for EJ and Wilson and not having to send anyone down (Elliot especially cause he needs to play up here)

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
I still find it funny that no one in the Avs organization acknowledge that this team is very weak on the blue line and they could use some help back there.

It's like the alcoholic not admitting he has a problem. Unless he does he won't get any help and will continue drinking.

I'd like to hear someone on the Avs say their blue line is crap and needs to be fixed. It's funny that Landeskog thinks the Avs are a playoff team with ROR back.

But then again, that's part of NHL cliche. You ask any player on any team and they'll say it's time to win and make the playoffs. This league needs people that can speak their minds, not just say what everyone else says.

Do you really expect the captain to throw fellow players under the bus? I agree that the organization filters everything through rose-colored glasses, but the players have some accountability to their teammates.

Of course he thinks they could make the playoffs, I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Of course he thinks they could make the playoffs, I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

I don't get a sense anyone in the organization is thinking playoffs right know. Otherwise, how does this team and its leaders not fire a coach and call some (if not most) players to the carpet for that performance in Columbus? I feel like this team is on a see what happens the rest of this year plan, no desire to tank at all (GOOD), but no desire to push either (NOT GOOD).

IndustryLeech

Jan 23, 2013
Fort Collins, CO
I don't get a sense anyone in the organization is thinking playoffs right know. Otherwise, how does this team and its leaders not fire a coach and call some (if not most) players to the carpet for that performance in Columbus? I feel like this team is on a see what happens the rest of this year plan, no desire to tank at all (GOOD), but no desire to push either (NOT GOOD).

It's not like they are 10 points out of a playoff spot, they could accidentally get into the playoffs and then Sacco's grand plan of collecting a paycheck for a few years of downing boat drinks could evaporate.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Do you really expect the captain to throw fellow players under the bus? I agree that the organization filters everything through rose-colored glasses, but the players have some accountability to their teammates.

Don't throw anyone under the bus. I'd just say what the truth is if I was Landeskog.

If I was asked can the Avs make the playoffs now that ROR is back, I'd say we might, but it's gonna be hard, we still have young players developing on our blue line, and it might take sometime before we have a complete and good enough team to make the playoffs.

I don't think anyone would be hurt by a comment like this.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO

Well they have put themselves in a terrible position. On the one hand the top six are pretty decent. Good enough to win you a bunch of games. The problem is all in the defense. We all know this.

You never know how bad the D corps is going to play. Will they be ok tonight allowing Varly to be the stud he is? Will they be god aweful making Varly look bad in the process?

I remember one thing people always said about Patrick Roy or any awesome Goal Tender. They give the defense confidence that they can make a save if there is a mistake. That way the defense can play loose and focus less on NOT making mistakes and more on making solid plays.

I think our offense and maybe even Varly at times dont feel like that with our defense. They are worried about not making mistakes because the defense isnt solid enough to back them up. So instead of playing loose and focusing on making plays...they do the opposite. We are very weak in the second worst area (first would be in goal but Varly is awesome)

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
Don't throw anyone under the bus. I'd just say what the truth is if I was Landeskog.

If I was asked can the Avs make the playoffs now that ROR is back, I'd say we might, but it's gonna be hard, we still have young players developing on our blue line, and it might take sometime before we have a complete and good enough team to make the playoffs.

I don't think anyone would be hurt by a comment like this.

I somewhat disagree. As a captain, I think you set the bar high. He wants to win...they all do despite some of their play. This is how you turn an organization around. A winning attitude. You dont get a winning attitude by making excuses like the development of players or a tough schedule or injuries. You gain a winning attitude by finding ways to win in spite of issues that arise.

Right now they are, whether they look like it or not, in the playoff hunt. If he says anything but that he expects to make the playoffs, it wouldnt look very good to the team and to the media.

Avs

Bozak + 2nd
Feb 9, 2013
Illinois
Glad to see O'Brien staying in the lineup.

Waking up and seeing Zanon scratched is almost the greatest I could read.

Zanon and O'Byrne being scratched would be the best, but I'm not gonna get carried away. I'll take what I can get.

hoserthehorrible

Jul 15, 2003
Colorado
I have one simple question.

Why the hell does this team picks up d-men like Zanon, O'Brien, Hejda etc... if they are going to scratch this players through out the season. All this average d-men they pick up suck in many games and take turns getting scratched.

Why not just keep Elliott and Barrie all season and let them develop in the NHL. It's not like Zanon, O'Brien help this team win many games.

Edit: I guess the problem is that on a good team Zanon, O'Brien, Hejda, O'Byrne, Hunwick, Wilson all would be 5th 6h d-men.
There's nothing wrong with the Avs having a "few" veteran D-men like Hejda, O'Brien, O'Byrne, etc. A couple extra veteran D-men are always useful during a season where players get injured. The problem is that they went overboard. When three would have been sufficient they went out and got five of them (Hejda, O'Brien, O'Byrne, Zanon, Wilson). That leaves too many bodies when you throw Johnson, Hunwick, Barrie and Elliott into that mix.

The Avs either need to trust young D-men like Barrie and Elliott and let them play or keep them in the AHL and go with a veteran. In Barrie's case he's playing so I'm fine with that. In Elliott's case he either needs to play and a veteran needs to be moved or he needs to be sent to Lake Erie and a veteran can play. Having Elliott sit in the press box on game day is piss poor player development.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
In all fairness Landeskog said they have three good scoring lines and great goaltending. He didn't mention the D.

If you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad