Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXXIII|Two Weeks Away from the 19-20 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Dach or JT Miller or Kadri or Wennberg
If we pick Dach, I think it's a bad idea to plan your season based on that a drafted kid are going to walk into your lineup (and in the top six) year one. If it happens, great. But you shouldn't count on it. And certainly not put yourself in a position where you need him to play year 1 even if it's not right for his development.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Nobody is offer sheet Meier. He isn't arbitration eligible. His only pull is to hold out... most players don't wish to do that. San Jose can play hardball, and I expect they will.
I would advise him to hold out than. He is a significantly better player than Evander Kane who is making 7 mill. That would be hard to justify to Meier's face if you're Doug Wilson.

Reactions: 22FUTON9

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
So because the Sharks are in cap hell one player doesn’t get his money? That’s not how it works. Meier isn’t taking 5 million dollars. The Sharks will have to make room, trade him or an offer sheet will happen. Doubt it’s the latter but it’s a better possibility than a near 70 point, 22 year old, 2 way freak taking 5 million dollars.

It’s like saying Marner will have to take 6M or he won’t play next year. If NHL teams could dictate like this it would be a much different looking league.

I understand what you're saying, and I think he has earned more... but he just doesn't have a ton of rights within the CBA except to hold out. Sharks don't have enough cap room to sign him to a 9m contract. All the big money deals have had term... there still hasn't be a medium money bridge done for these younger RFAs. I expect it to happen twice this year. Point and Meier will likely both receive short term deals to kick the can.

Every year offer sheets are talked about... every year they don't happen. ROR was the last one 6 years ago. NHL GMs just do not use that option, even when it makes total sense they don't use it.

Marner is in the biggest media area in hockey, topped 90 points, lead that team in scoring, and is a full on star. His power is a bit higher than Meier's. Fair or not, I believe Meier and Point will get screwed this summer on raises... if they keep up their play, they will likely get bigger money down the line though.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Wait are people suggesting 5/6M a year for Timo Meier? He’s better at hockey than Jeff Skinner who just got 9M. He also happens to be 5 years younger too.

Skinner was slightly overpaid because that’s what you have to do when your city is a ****hole but 5m for Meier is lunacy.
He should be getting around the same as Rantanen.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia
Then he isn't all that likely to play next year. Sharks can't afford that and nobody is offer sheeting him.
Good since he's 1 of the Ranatnen comparables we aren't paying him that much either. If I'm Joe I waiting Rantanen as long as I can and let the other contracts play out first.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
All his peers and comparables are all going to be signing for 9-11M long term. There’s no chance in hell Meier lowers himself to a bridge deal worth 5 million.

I think we might be about to enter the era of expensive bridge deals in the $7-8M range. Mikko could get one as well. Newport finally gets their wish.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If we pick Dach, I think it's a bad idea to plan your season based on that a drafted kid are going to walk into your lineup (and in the top six) year one. If it happens, great. But you shouldn't count on it. And certainly not put yourself in a position where you need him to play year 1 even if it's not right for his development.

Best case scenario for Dach (in the NHL) would be a 3C role kind of like Kotkaniemi in Montreal last year (~35 pts). What helps him is his physique, Kotka still has that skinny teenager body while Dach is already built like a man. Kotka was pretty drained/banged up at the end of the year. He was lacking physical strength and it was showing.

That said, whoever we pick I'd prefer to wait at least one more year before putting them in an NHL role.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I would like people to stop trying to trade D men as if you can't simply add another good one to the fold. Makar being on the team doesn't mean you trade Barrie. Girard doesn't mean you trade Zadorov.
People have this weird game where if you draft a D man, you have to trade the other.

What about the salary demands and expansion draft?

timothy jimothy

Apr 12, 2019
It'll probably be disappointing to most people, but as July 1st gets closer, I get the feeling that the Avs aren't going to be making the big splash that everybody wants. I think we are going to have a pretty understated free agency, a few more Ian Cole and Matt Calvert type of deals. Maybe a trade for whatever they feel they are missing after. That's what got them here, can't see them drastically changing the formula now.

Some players that fit that description in UFA...
- Gustav Nyquist
- Joonas Donskoi
- Ryan Dzingel
- Brett Connolly
- Marcus Johansson
- Alex Chiasson

Reactions: Foxtail

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It'll probably be disappointing to most people, but as July 1st gets closer, I get the feeling that the Avs aren't going to be making the big splash that everybody wants. I think we are going to have a pretty understated free agency, a few more Ian Cole and Matt Calvert type of deals. Maybe a trade for whatever they feel they are missing after. That's what got them here, can't see them drastically changing the formula now.

- Gustav Nyquist
- Joonas Donskoi
- Ryan Dzingel
- Brett Connolly
- Marcus Johansson
- Alex Chiasson

Well, at least two big names are off the table, with a third (Hayes) likely to be unavailable come July 1st. To be honest I'd be fine with them not going big in FA, they already did the big-signing-for-big-signing's-sake move and it backfired spectacularly. But then I think they need to look long and hard at the trade market and make a decision as to what they're willing to part with.

Reactions: Foxtail

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

- Gustav Nyquist
- Joonas Donskoi
- Ryan Dzingel
- Brett Connolly
- Marcus Johansson
- Alex Chiasson
That looks like a list that gets brought up two years from now when you list the contracts teams regret signing July 1st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad