Proposal: AVS & HABS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cenzo_

Dec 11, 2006
Montreal
Yes. Sort of.

But Byram > Caufield.

Well that is debatable. As of now, Caufield has had more important impact on his teams but you may still be right. If I was a Avs fan, I probably still would not trade a potential top pairing D for a potential goal scoring W

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Well that is debatable. As of now, Caufield has had more important impact on his teams but you may still be right. If I was a Avs fan, I probably still would not trade a potential top pairing D for a potential goal scoring W
Which is why I added Guhle and Ranta. Gives the Avs a middle pair D and Habs a middle six LW.

Byram just picked up an assist. He’s got a 1+1 two point game to start the season. But where Byram continues to shine is in his own zone. He’s a hell of a defensive Dman. His offense will come. He’s already arrived in his own zone.

Avs definitely decline to trade Byram. He’s going to be a star.

Caufield probably will be too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patagonia

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Tyler Johnson. Minus -3 already and looks so washed. What a bad trade that was for Chicago. Several Habs fans saw that coming. Tampa fooled Chicago bad. Three full years of having TJ steal $5mm of cap space. Lol.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Byram is going to be a superstar 1D and plays the opposite side of another superstar 1D. Avs would be crazy to pass that up. Caufield is amazing in his own right too though, nothing against him.

Reactions: McJedi

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
After what I've seen from Byram yesterday boy he looked like a veteran out there. He was easily our best dman, very good breakouts, good positioning and good pinching (compared to Graves :sarcasm:). It's still a very very small sample but if that's a glimpse of what Byram can bring every game that's a massive win for us. Caufield will be a damn good player but with how injuries work in our defense we need him way more than Caufield.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
This would've made more sense a year ago before the Avs went on a spree trading their D depth for nothing at all. Plus, Sakic prefers rentals(see: Saad, Kuemper) if he has to be bothered getting back assets at all.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
If we're trading Byram I'd rather trade for Suzuki.

Wouldn't happen though.

Yeah lol, if Suzuki goes in Colorado's way, it would be in a package to get one of your better centers ;)

Certainly not for Bowen

As for OP, I'd keep Caufield; we are already loaded with prospect d-men, Bowen would be mighty nice to have but when do you have the chance to ice one of the best goal scorer ever at a junior level?
Caufield all day every day

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Trade is not terrible, but no chance AVs accept.

Byram is potentially a franchise DMan. Position and age of this type of player is not normally moved unless the return is significant ie. Seth Jones vs RJ.

Caufield is small and one dimensional and comparable to being the next Debrincat. It’s not a knock against, but positioning of being a Winger is also worth less than DMan.

Comparing the players: Byram is better defensively, size, skating, faster, tougher, puck handling & leadership. Caufield has the better shot and reliant on the C and Dmen to provide the pass.

I don’t believe it’s close Byram is a significantly better prospect.

Reactions: flyfysher

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Trade is not terrible, but no chance AVs accept.

Byram is potentially a franchise DMan. Position and age of this type of player is not normally moved unless the return is significant ie. Seth Jones vs RJ.

Caufield is small and one dimensional and comparable to being the next Debrincat. It’s not a knock against, but positioning of being a Winger is also worth less than DMan.

Comparing the players: Byram is better defensively, size, skating, faster, tougher, puck handling & leadership. Caufield has the better shot and reliant on the C and Dmen to provide the pass.

I don’t believe it’s close Byram is a significantly better prospect.

Watch him play, he creates his own offense.

That being said, I do this trade. I’d even add a B prospect or a later round pick.

nightonthesun

Sep 8, 2013
New Jersey
I have nothing bad to say about Caufield, but as it stands I'd rather have Big Time Bo and his Bountiful Flo. I just think having him and Cale at once is potentially a bigger game changer than adding a Caufield to the stable of forwards, good as he is.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah if both are as good as the hype,neither team makes this deal...I value the defender more,but an elite scoring winger next to a center is the only way you pry one out of a team

ginovegas

Dec 15, 2009
Montreal
solid proposal but i don't think it would happen. Would be even more enticing if he was right handed, But habs are loaded with solid left handed D prospects

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Watch him play, he creates his own offense.

That being said, I do this trade. I’d even add a B prospect or a later round pick.

A closer proposal would be Newhook vs Caufield. They each have similar college stats and junior careers are very close.

Byram is a different tier and partner with Makar for the next 5-10 years could be the beat tandem in the league.

Reactions: flyfysher

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
If Byram was a rightie I would do it.

But being leftie and us having a shitload of good caliber LHD prospects in the pipeline, it would be a no....

As of the value of each one, I think its +/- even.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Easy no for Colorado, and this isn't even me being an Avs homer. I had Caufield as the 5th best prospect in his draft year.

But even if we ignore which prospect is better(I think its close enough but Byram is ahead), the value difference between an elite Dman and an elite winger is enough alone for Colorado to never do this.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
If Byram was a rightie I would do it.

But being leftie and us having a shitload of good caliber LHD prospects in the pipeline, it would be a no....

As of the value of each one, I think its +/- even.

Maybe a personal AVs bias, but don’t believe it’s close. Byram is on a higher tier. He is superior in nearly every physical and leadership metric besides shooting.

HABs this makes no sense. Trading an area of weakness for Byram is another surplus LHD minimizes the benefit.

AVs wasted nearly a decade for a reasonable defence. Caufield is not a need when C or G are concerns.

AVs are the most likely to refuse.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Avs easily decline but it’s not insulting like past nonsense proposals of Tatar for Byram or Drouin for Girard.

at least Montreal is parting with young value this time.

habs add Guhle. Avs add Sampo Ranta and I’m more interested.
Caufield and Byram are on the same tier prospect

There's a stratosphere betweenn a future Ekholm and a 4th line plug

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
I don’t think they are on the same level though. Defensemen are worth more than forwards. Bo is a 4th overall potential top pair D even on the Avs. He actually plays defense, skates well and can score. Caufield fell to 15 for a reason because he is 5’ 7” and he is a one dimensional scoring winger.

Reactions: McJedi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad