Avs GM Chris MacFarland and captain Gabriel Landeskog will meet with media at 9:30 AM (May 23). Update : Nothing happened . Just calmly move along

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah I don't think this'll be anything special.

If anything it'll be him talking about how he expects to be good to go next season

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What else could this be besides a retirement announcement?

Won't miss the guy at all. Well loved in Denver, but one of the dirtier players in the league.

Avs really taking a beating the last week or so.
Let's make sure we use correct wording...

He's not retiring in the sense, he is leaving money on the table. Avs have insurance to cover the balance of his salary.

Sounds like a LTIR Retirement. He's tried rehab and it just isn't working to get him back to the level he was prior. Been 2 years since he last played at this point.

Is it possible it's just giving up the C? I guess, but wouldn't they announce Mack to be there to receive it from Landy? Avs, for the off-season kind of want to know if they have his $7 mill cap space to spend or not. If it's still progressing, then they need to leave room for his cap hit.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Turbonium

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Giving up the captancy would be the only other thing that makes sense for this kind of event

I get the best ability is availability but seems premature to give up the C when hes on track to come back, no?

It's not like they've underachieved with him as captain in recent years, with the exception of 2023.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If it's not what we all think, which I assume was he was retiring, then I would think he is stepping down as Captain if his injury status is still unclear so the Avs can have a Captain next season.

Reactions: Regal

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Maybe he is retiring to play baseball like his dad wanted. Good thing too because I think Aliens are going to steal the top NHL players talent.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I doubt it's nothing big, maybe just he's coming back next season, or he wants to get traded to Vegas to have there magical medical team heal him

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I get the best ability is availability but seems premature to give up the C when hes on track to come back, no?

It's not like they've underachieved with him as captain in recent years, with the exception of 2023.

Landeskog clearly wants to come back and is still under contract for 5 more seasons but can the Avalanche actually count on that really happening ? This is why this is giving me Ben Bishop vibes. Bish was not willing to accept he was done until he managed to come back and play in an AHL game to see that he no longer could do it.

The Avs can promise Landeskog that he will get the C back the second he's shown that he can be an every day NHL player again. Until that day comes ( if that ever happens ) someone else should wear the C .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad