Confirmed with Link: Avs claim G Kaapo Kähkönen off waiwers from WPG

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Will be interesting to see what they do next. Roll with three goaltenders? Waive Georgie? Have a trade lined up to move him? Trade Justus? Not sure.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Will be interesting to see what they do next. Roll with three goaltenders? Waive Georgie? Have a trade lined up to move him? Trade Justus? Not sure.
I think it is insurance. I had hopes for Kahkonen to be a serviceable back up in the league and he might still be with us, but he's another Karpisalo at this point. Flawed technique and puck-tracking problems.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
A piece of trivia, Georgiev and Kähkönen went head to head on the WJC finals in 2016, which Finland won.
Another piece of trivia, Avs have nearly acquired Kahkonen in 2 of the 4 deadlines. One the deal was 'in place' and fell through.

At minimum we have another body. Not sure if he's any good, but he's literally somebody we can put in net.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
Wow they actually did a thing. They're basically rolling with 3 goalies since Annunen has to pass through waivers.
Georgiev would easily pass through waivers, no? I mean, the team wouldn't do it until they are 100% sure they want to move on from him (see Jack Campbell, Cal Petersen), but the cap savings of putting Georgiev in the AHL would more than pay for Kakkonen's contract.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Another piece of trivia, Avs have nearly acquired Kahkonen in 2 of the 4 deadlines. One the deal was 'in place' and fell through.

At minimum we have another body. Not sure if he's any good, but he's literally somebody we can put in net.
Has George been in net at all? Tbh it really can’t get worst

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Food for thought. Liljegren wants out of Toronto and Woll seems to be injured. Avs have a shaky 3rd pair and three goaltenders...

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I have a hard time seeing them waive Georgiev after 1 game, when they could have had the whole off-season to find a replacement for him.

I wouldn't mind it though.

Reactions: Chiarelli

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
#1, they won't do anything with Georgiev until they've had an extended look at the three goalies, and see if someone can run away with it.
#2, waiving him would be the last option, they would rather pay someone an asset to take his contract than bury just a part of his caphit.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016
They aren't gonna waive Georgiev after 1 game. This is a good insurance to have when even our backup puts up awful numbers. Now there's more competition and someone will hopefully give us NHL average goaltending

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Has George been in net at all? Tbh it really can’t get worst
200.gif

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Send 4giev packing. I don't care where or how, I don't want to see him in an Avs uniform outside of my nightmares

At least we can suck with Kaapo and Fatty for 1.8m rather than suck with 5giev's 3.4m albatross

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad