Confirmed with Link: Avs bring back McJLD on a 2-year, 2-way deal

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We had great experience in Trinidad. People were so friendly, invited us to their house to a Nuggets watch party and crash over for a night as we were looking for a campground. They even drove us over the hill to Raton NM as the winds were CRAZY that time.

Other than that, southern part of Colorado wasn't that great.
I really like both Trinidad and Alamosa. They aren't the nicest and cleanest towns in the world, but cool areas and good people. And the Sangre de Cristos are just crazy beautiful and not ran through like many of the ranges in Colorado. One day people will probably wake up to the area, but I hope it isn't soon.

Yeah Raton can be crazy windy... any area where there is a dip between mountains to the west just rips on the wind. To the west of Raton, you'd find some of the biggest elk in all of North America. Just absolute monsters and plentiful. The more you know. :laugh:

Reactions: Murzu

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
And not just McDonalds. Fast food prices went through the roof in the last 4 years. Used to be able to eat at cheap places for $10-$12. Now it's $18-$20.

Yeah.. in California they promise $20/hour for starting wage for McDonalds employees. Thats teachers salary in Finland. Inflation in the States has been crazy.

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
Yeah.. in California they promise $20/hour for starting wage for McDonalds employees. Thats teachers salary in Finland. Inflation in the States has been crazy.
McDonalds in most other parts of the world have higher wages than North America but cheaper prices, better menus, and are cleaner.

If you're going to grab a burger in North America the big fast food chains are terrible value. Like paying 2.5 million for a Miles Wood level of value.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I really like both Trinidad and Alamosa. They aren't the nicest and cleanest towns in the world, but cool areas and good people. And the Sangre de Cristos are just crazy beautiful and not ran through like many of the ranges in Colorado. One day people will probably wake up to the area, but I hope it isn't soon.

Yeah Raton can be crazy windy... any area where there is a dip between mountains to the west just rips on the wind. To the west of Raton, you'd find some of the biggest elk in all of North America. Just absolute monsters and plentiful. The more you know. :laugh:

I really felt like giving up on cycling on the day when we cycled from Raton to Cimarron and the winds were blowing over 100mph towards us all the time. 😂

Those places are beautiful. I'd imagine people will figure it out eventually.

McDonalds in most other parts of the world have higher wages than North America but cheaper prices, better menus, and are cleaner.

If you're going to grab a burger in North America the big fast food chains are terrible value. Like paying 2.5 million for a Miles Wood level of value.

In n Out is amazing, but that's an exception. Don't know if you classify that as a big fast food chain though.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
As a Canadian, I'm stunned at US prices... they are the same (or more) as Canadian prices now but they have a stronger dollar. Like the same grocery items cost more in USD than in CAD...which is pretty sick considering that 1 CAD = 0.73 USD.

My sister gets paid in CAD but she often has to work in the US...so when she's south of the border everything is ridiculously expensive because of inflation and the exchange rate.

Reactions: Murzu

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

That a legislative thing in California, and causing some commotion. Most states are well below that. Though 14-15 is not at all uncommon.

It isn't particularly comparable. Many of those countries don't have to have employer sponsored health care and they don't have to matching payroll taxes to the extent of the US. In the US a rule of thumb is the wages represent about 60% of the total compensation of an employee. So $20 per hour is really about ~$33 in total cost. Many countries wages represent 80% or more of total comp because the social safety net is held up as a whole by the gov'ts rather than through employment. Even in Canada which is closer to the US than say Sweden or France, they are pushing upper 70s.

A real solid case could be made that socializing health care would be one of the strongest steps the US could make in combating inflationary pressure and improving the business environment for the business and the employee. There is just absolutely zero chance it will happen politically.

Not trying to take this political, just saying comparing how the US handles wages in service industries and those translating to costs is vastly different than many other countries.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
As a Canadian, I'm stunned at US prices... they are the same (or more) as Canadian prices now but they have a stronger dollar. Like the same grocery items cost more in USD than in CAD...which is pretty sick considering that 1 CAD = 0.73 USD.

My sister gets paid in CAD but she often has to work in the US...so when she's south of the border everything is ridiculously expensive because of inflation and the exchange rate.
This sure sounds incorrect to me. I'm spending a month in Calgary right now and supermarket and fast food prices are a little more than Denver prices even after converting to USD. It's not significantly more but in most cases it's about 10% more. And this is shopping at Superstore. Going to Safeway or Co-op is much worse. And of course gas and most other consumer things are more expensive than back at home. About the only thing that's a good value is Tim's as that's cheaper than Dunkin back at home.

I think people just like to complain about prices these days. It's more than before for sure but this whole fast food is only for the rich story is utterly ridiculous.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
This sure sounds incorrect to me. I'm spending a month in Calgary right now and supermarket and fast food prices are a little more than Denver prices even after converting to USD. It's not significantly more but in most cases it's about 10% more. And this is shopping at Superstore. Going to Safeway or Co-op is much worse. And of course gas and most other consumer things are more expensive than back at home. About the only thing that's a good value is Tim's as that's cheaper than Dunkin back at home.

I think people just like to complain about prices these days. It's more than before for sure but this whole fast food is only for the rich story is utterly ridiculous.
Eh, I think it depends on the specific area. In Alaska, fast food has gotten incredibly overpriced for what it is and has been doing so for quite some time up here. In fact, it's often cheaper for me and the wife to go to a restaurant and have a nice sit down meal than it is to stop at McDonalds on the way home from work. Obviously, I'm not talking about steak and lobster here, but we can go get Cuban, Greek, Thai, Korean, Japanese and Mexican cheaper. There are plenty of restaurants that are much more expensive, but plenty of great mom and pop restaurants are cheaper than fast food up here.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Honest question, has there ever been a player on the Avs that you didn't like?

No.

Although Kyle Quincey upset me when he claimed all our players had their bags packed and were looking to get out the door, and Ryan Stoa as well, who took a shot as us after he left the organization, also disappointed me.
1720351930879.png

• Haha
Reactions: Sea Eagles

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
No.

Although Kyle Quincey upset me when he claimed all our players had their bags packed and were looking to get out the door, and Ryan Stoa as well, who took a shot as us after he left the organization, also disappointed me.
To be fair to Stoa the Avs put him in a position to fail. The Avs should have concentrated on developing Stoa into a top line ECHL forward.

Instead they messed with his development as a second rate minor leaguer by playing him in NHL games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad