GDT: Aves vs. Goldne Nights - Preseason Game 5... I think?

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
We all know this is not Bednar's preference, but it's pretty clear that splitting MacKinnon and Rantanen is the right call.

Kovalenko can be a complimentary piece in the top 6 because he plays a simple game, but playing Mittelstadt with him and Colton is a recipe for an impotent 2nd line.

Let Colton play centre with linemates he's had success with on the 3rd line and give Mitts some skill on his wings.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We all know this is not Bednar's preference, but it's pretty clear that splitting MacKinnon and Rantanen is the right call.

Kovalenko can be a complimentary piece in the top 6 because he plays a simple game, but playing Mittelstadt with him and Colton is a recipe for an impotent 2nd line.

Let Colton play centre with linemates he's had success with on the 3rd line and give Mitts some skill on his wings.
I can't see Bednar doing that unless they start losing. What I think he'll do is have Drouin-MacK-Rants as a line and push it to ~22-24 minutes (with PP but no PK time). Try to have Mitts' line shut down the opposing top line.. 3rd line (with or without Colton) to provide chaos. Try to not play the 4th line much at all. Really rely on the top line to try to get 2 goals. Then one elsewhere... and try to hold on for dear life until Lehky and Nuke are back.

The top line can probably perform at a high enough level to do that, but there is going to be the risk of overplaying them.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It just feels like at even strength the foursome of Nate, Mikko, Cale and Devon is getting stale. It's still effective but not as dominate. A new look top six wouldn't be the end of the world to me...but Jared's brain just can't handle it.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
It just feels like at even strength the foursome of Nate, Mikko, Cale and Devon is getting stale. It's still effective but not as dominate. A new look top six wouldn't be the end of the world to me...but Jared's brain just can't handle it.
My brain can't handle this either. What exactly are you even trying to say? Stale but effective? What does any of this mean?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
My brain can't handle this either. What exactly are you even trying to say? Stale but effective? What does any of this mean?
It was dominate, but it is not nearly as dominate as it was. They are no longer unstoppable and the goal differential between the Avs and their opponents with this foursome on the ice has gone down three years in a row.

I would prefer to see a new look.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Ritchie turned the puck over a lot. Was trying to feed MacK but they were low percentage passes. He really doesn’t look ready but he’ll probably start the year here.
I think he gets sent back to junior after the last pre-season game and it's the right call.
Yeah I agree on all accounts. I personally thought Kovalenko complimented the top line much more. I think Ritchie was a bit nervous playing with the big dogs.

There is still so much junior in Cal’s game. Lack luster blow-bys, questionable passes through traffic when trying to setup the zone, drifting and lackadaisical defense and some hero-ball that he turns the puck over on consistently. Some of its effort related, some of its because he could get away with it in junior.

He makes some offensive reads and moves that clearly flash top 6 upside and as sad as it is, I think he has looked better than some of the other “prospects” that got sent down earlier. I just hope in junior they can push him to round out some of his effort and defensive issues.
It's too bad that he was injured last year and couldn't be in camp and this is his first true NHL camp with NHL pre-season competition. He may have known more what to expect and come in better prepared or prepared differently but at the same time, no one should be surprised that a 19 year old kid isn't ready for a significant role on a Stanley Cup contender.

Right now, he looks like he's going to need that extra year in the O and maybe even a year in the AHL as well from what I saw last night. No real excuse, he wasn't asked to carry a line with a bunch of scrubs... he was playing on the top line and did not look ready at all, not even close. I think they will give him the last pre-season game too before they send him back... hopefully they give him that game at center to see if he's more comfortable there.

My biggest problem last night was his motor and that he just didn't keep his feet moving. I don't think it's laziness per-say just the way that he's been able to play in the OHL and still have success like you're saying. If you compare him to Ivan-Ivan, that kid is going all out and giving it his all to try and make this team and that's what is expected because it's the frikkin' NHL!

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It was dominate, but it is not nearly as dominate as it was. They are no longer unstoppable and the goal differential between the Avs and their opponents with this foursome on the ice has gone down three years in a row.

I would prefer to see a new look.
I'd say that's likely also due to depth and goaltending as it is them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
My biggest problem last night was his motor and that he just didn't keep his feet moving. I don't think it's laziness per-say just the way that he's been able to play in the OHL and still have success like you're saying. If you compare him to Ivan-Ivan, that kid is going all out and giving it his all to try and make this team and that's what is expected because it's the frikkin' NHL!
IMO this is the biggest knock on his whole game. It isn't outright horrible, but he doesn't have that super high motor. Dylan Strome sort of stuff. Which means he still can be successful, but he may irritate a lot with this part of his game.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think he gets sent back to junior after the last pre-season game and it's the right call.

It's too bad that he was injured last year and couldn't be in camp and this is his first true NHL camp with NHL pre-season competition. He may have known more what to expect and come in better prepared or prepared differently but at the same time, no one should be surprised that a 19 year old kid isn't ready for a significant role on a Stanley Cup contender.

Right now, he looks like he's going to need that extra year in the O and maybe even a year in the AHL as well from what I saw last night. No real excuse, he wasn't asked to carry a line with a bunch of scrubs... he was playing on the top line and did not look ready at all, not even close. I think they will give him the last pre-season game too before they send him back... hopefully they give him that game at center to see if he's more comfortable there.

Ivan Ivan has natural hockey smarts/instincts to make all of the small detail plays. Ritchie doesnt have that just yet. I think that comes with more understanding of the principles of the hockey system. Hes just really creative and has good vision. Kind of like how Zegras is super creative but coaches probably hate him.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Best game of the preseason for the Avs by a very large margin.

Annunen - Was very solid. Nice to see him bounce back and play solid.

MacK and Drouin - they clicked and even at not full effort, they're good.

2nd line - As a whole it was pretty rough. Mitts is a fantastic possession player, but he needs some help burying pucks. Not sure either of those guys fit. Colton doesn't play with enough IQ to play a top 6 role consistently. Kovalenko looked better, but he's an effort guy more than anything else. I can't see this being a successful 2nd line.

Kelly - He wasn't downright awful, but he doesn't look all that comfortable as center. The fact that the Avs are even entertaning him as a 3C is a little scary.

Ritchie - I really think he should be sent down. There's a lot of details missing in his game, and if he stays up, he's going to end up in the doghouse. I'd rather shield him from that and just let him dominate the OHL.

Brannstrom - He wasn't as bad as previous games, but I don't want any part of him being a regular. Way too erratic of a game and risky for his role.

Kylington - Less risky than Brannstrom, but I think he's a worse player right now. Maybe he needs to get comfortable... but his play and Brannstrom's play signal Malinski should be the starting 6D... and it isn't particularly close.

Ivan - as long as his tank has something in it, I think he's got a shot. Last year he started off great and wore down through the season. His tank was empty the whole last half. A little worried about that, but for this first month, not opposed to him starting with the Avs.

LOC/Wood - You could tell they weren't giving full effort and it showed. Moments were there, but these guys need to have the effort high or they are bad. Not worried about it turning on during the regular season.

It should be Mack & Drouin, then Mikko & Mitts, plug your available effort dudes in after that.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I think I see what you're getting at, but I think that may just be a product of not only us watching them for so long, but them playing almost exclusively with each other for so long.

In terms of effectiveness, I think that could be related to the adrenaline/motivation dump after accomplishing their life long goal of winning a Cup, and all the injuries preventing them from playing to their full potential.

I think Drouin will help break up the monotony and get them try new things on the ice though. Nate plays differently with him, than Mikko, or Val, or Landy, or anyone else, because they almost share a brain out there.

Also, Gabe may come back and play a slightly different style that's more IQ based, and just all the time off probably gave him a recalibration on how he may approach the game.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad