GDT: Aves vs. Goldne Nights - Preseason Game 5... I think?

AVSfan2daMAX

Nov 24, 2006
We all know this is not Bednar's preference, but it's pretty clear that splitting MacKinnon and Rantanen is the right call.

Kovalenko can be a complimentary piece in the top 6 because he plays a simple game, but playing Mittelstadt with him and Colton is a recipe for an impotent 2nd line.

Let Colton play centre with linemates he's had success with on the 3rd line and give Mitts some skill on his wings.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
We all know this is not Bednar's preference, but it's pretty clear that splitting MacKinnon and Rantanen is the right call.

Kovalenko can be a complimentary piece in the top 6 because he plays a simple game, but playing Mittelstadt with him and Colton is a recipe for an impotent 2nd line.

Let Colton play centre with linemates he's had success with on the 3rd line and give Mitts some skill on his wings.
I can't see Bednar doing that unless they start losing. What I think he'll do is have Drouin-MacK-Rants as a line and push it to ~22-24 minutes (with PP but no PK time). Try to have Mitts' line shut down the opposing top line.. 3rd line (with or without Colton) to provide chaos. Try to not play the 4th line much at all. Really rely on the top line to try to get 2 goals. Then one elsewhere... and try to hold on for dear life until Lehky and Nuke are back.

The top line can probably perform at a high enough level to do that, but there is going to be the risk of overplaying them.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It just feels like at even strength the foursome of Nate, Mikko, Cale and Devon is getting stale. It's still effective but not as dominate. A new look top six wouldn't be the end of the world to me...but Jared's brain just can't handle it.

Reactions: cinchronicity

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
It just feels like at even strength the foursome of Nate, Mikko, Cale and Devon is getting stale. It's still effective but not as dominate. A new look top six wouldn't be the end of the world to me...but Jared's brain just can't handle it.
My brain can't handle this either. What exactly are you even trying to say? Stale but effective? What does any of this mean?

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
MacK and Drouin - they clicked and even at not full effort, they're good.
It's crazy how Drouin looks like a 3rd OA pick when he plays with Mack. I mean even if Mack isn't involved in the play, Drouin plays so well...it's gotta be a mental thing.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
My brain can't handle this either. What exactly are you even trying to say? Stale but effective? What does any of this mean?
It was dominate, but it is not nearly as dominate as it was. They are no longer unstoppable and the goal differential between the Avs and their opponents with this foursome on the ice has gone down three years in a row.

I would prefer to see a new look.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Ritchie turned the puck over a lot. Was trying to feed MacK but they were low percentage passes. He really doesn’t look ready but he’ll probably start the year here.
I think he gets sent back to junior after the last pre-season game and it's the right call.
Yeah I agree on all accounts. I personally thought Kovalenko complimented the top line much more. I think Ritchie was a bit nervous playing with the big dogs.

There is still so much junior in Cal’s game. Lack luster blow-bys, questionable passes through traffic when trying to setup the zone, drifting and lackadaisical defense and some hero-ball that he turns the puck over on consistently. Some of its effort related, some of its because he could get away with it in junior.

He makes some offensive reads and moves that clearly flash top 6 upside and as sad as it is, I think he has looked better than some of the other “prospects” that got sent down earlier. I just hope in junior they can push him to round out some of his effort and defensive issues.
It's too bad that he was injured last year and couldn't be in camp and this is his first true NHL camp with NHL pre-season competition. He may have known more what to expect and come in better prepared or prepared differently but at the same time, no one should be surprised that a 19 year old kid isn't ready for a significant role on a Stanley Cup contender.

Right now, he looks like he's going to need that extra year in the O and maybe even a year in the AHL as well from what I saw last night. No real excuse, he wasn't asked to carry a line with a bunch of scrubs... he was playing on the top line and did not look ready at all, not even close. I think they will give him the last pre-season game too before they send him back... hopefully they give him that game at center to see if he's more comfortable there.

My biggest problem last night was his motor and that he just didn't keep his feet moving. I don't think it's laziness per-say just the way that he's been able to play in the OHL and still have success like you're saying. If you compare him to Ivan-Ivan, that kid is going all out and giving it his all to try and make this team and that's what is expected because it's the frikkin' NHL!

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It was dominate, but it is not nearly as dominate as it was. They are no longer unstoppable and the goal differential between the Avs and their opponents with this foursome on the ice has gone down three years in a row.

I would prefer to see a new look.
I'd say that's likely also due to depth and goaltending as it is them.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
My biggest problem last night was his motor and that he just didn't keep his feet moving. I don't think it's laziness per-say just the way that he's been able to play in the OHL and still have success like you're saying. If you compare him to Ivan-Ivan, that kid is going all out and giving it his all to try and make this team and that's what is expected because it's the frikkin' NHL!
IMO this is the biggest knock on his whole game. It isn't outright horrible, but he doesn't have that super high motor. Dylan Strome sort of stuff. Which means he still can be successful, but he may irritate a lot with this part of his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad