GDT: Aves vs. Goldne Nights - Preseason Game 5... I think?

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
IMG_1708.gif

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avs have to grind out wins defensively until they get Val, Lehky and Landy back. This game was a good example. They were really good defensively and that’s what they need to do to start the season

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Ritchie turned the puck over a lot. Was trying to feed MacK but they were low percentage passes. He really doesn’t look ready but he’ll probably start the year here.

Yeah I agree on all accounts. I personally thought Kovalenko complimented the top line much more. I think Ritchie was a bit nervous playing with the big dogs.

There is still so much junior in Cal’s game. Lack luster blow-bys, questionable passes through traffic when trying to setup the zone, drifting and lackadaisical defense and some hero-ball that he turns the puck over on consistently. Some of its effort related, some of its because he could get away with it in junior.

He makes some offensive reads and moves that clearly flash top 6 upside and as sad as it is, I think he has looked better than some of the other “prospects” that got sent down earlier. I just hope in junior they can push him to round out some of his effort and defensive issues.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Best game of the preseason for the Avs by a very large margin.

Annunen - Was very solid. Nice to see him bounce back and play solid.

MacK and Drouin - they clicked and even at not full effort, they're good.

2nd line - As a whole it was pretty rough. Mitts is a fantastic possession player, but he needs some help burying pucks. Not sure either of those guys fit. Colton doesn't play with enough IQ to play a top 6 role consistently. Kovalenko looked better, but he's an effort guy more than anything else. I can't see this being a successful 2nd line.

Kelly - He wasn't downright awful, but he doesn't look all that comfortable as center. The fact that the Avs are even entertaning him as a 3C is a little scary.

Ritchie - I really think he should be sent down. There's a lot of details missing in his game, and if he stays up, he's going to end up in the doghouse. I'd rather shield him from that and just let him dominate the OHL.

Brannstrom - He wasn't as bad as previous games, but I don't want any part of him being a regular. Way too erratic of a game and risky for his role.

Kylington - Less risky than Brannstrom, but I think he's a worse player right now. Maybe he needs to get comfortable... but his play and Brannstrom's play signal Malinski should be the starting 6D... and it isn't particularly close.

Ivan - as long as his tank has something in it, I think he's got a shot. Last year he started off great and wore down through the season. His tank was empty the whole last half. A little worried about that, but for this first month, not opposed to him starting with the Avs.

LOC/Wood - You could tell they weren't giving full effort and it showed. Moments were there, but these guys need to have the effort high or they are bad. Not worried about it turning on during the regular season.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think Malinski has outplayed both Kylington and Brannstrom quite easily and the 3rd pair starts as De Haan - Malinski while Brannstrom hits waivers and Kylington is the 7D.

Malinski has earned it, and he's not a young kid. He's older than Brannstrom. IMO that 3rd pairing is the best route for the Avs to take.

Even saw Malinski trying to throw some hits last night in open ice. He doesn't move guys much but the IQ is at least there to separate players from making plays.

Reactions: Bensch88

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think Malinski has outplayed both Kylington and Brannstrom quite easily and the 3rd pair starts as De Haan - Malinski while Brannstrom hits waivers and Kylington is the 7D.

Malinski has earned it, and he's not a young kid. He's older than Brannstrom. IMO that 3rd pairing is the best route for the Avs to take.

Even saw Malinski trying to throw some hits last night in open ice. He doesn't move guys much but the IQ is at least there to separate players from making plays.
I'd bet the Avs carry 8D to start. I'd agree Malinski should have the role. I'm still skeptical on him as the right type of bottom pairing guy, but he's been a lot better than Brannstrom or Kylington.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd bet the Avs carry 8D to start. I'd agree Malinski should have the role. I'm still skeptical on him as the right type of bottom pairing guy, but he's been a lot better than Brannstrom or Kylington.
I think he'll be a place holder until the Avs target a 4/5 type of defensemen at the TDL.

It'll probably rotate based on how he looks along with De Haan, Kylington and Brannstrom. Hell, we might see the Avs target two defensemen if all four of these guys suck.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I think he'll be a place holder until the Avs target a 4/5 type of defensemen at the TDL.

It'll probably rotate based on how he looks along with De Haan, Kylington and Brannstrom. Hell, we might see the Avs target two defensemen if all four of these guys suck.
I definitely see the Avs grabbing a more physical type of defensemen.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
Probably best to just rip off the bandaid and send Ritchie down now. Either go with whatever mess you need to until Lehky gets back or pick up the closest guy resembling a top 6 forward on waivers. Bonus in that playing a 775K guy over Ritchie saves some much needed capspace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad