GDT: Avalanche vs Senators 1/16/24 @ 5:00PM MNT (Emergency GDT) Let's forget about yesterday!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goalie woes got you down? Just click here!

• Here

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • I'm not clicking that.

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • My SSN is...

Votes: 14 56.0%

• Total voters
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
It’s something I work with my goalies on a ton.

I had a parent once question why I spend so much time on that; wrapping pucks around the boards, reversing passes behind the net, etc. I try to explain to them how much better and healthier your defense is when they have a goalie who can retrieve pucks, the significantly less wear and tear on them over the course of a season pays big dividends.

No defenseman likes knowing his goalie can’t and won’t handle the puck, you’re either going to rush retrievals or get hammered over and over by a strong forechecking team.

You would think a goalie that can play the puck would be something the Avs would target aggressively. Can you imagine how much quicker the Avs would be with a Turco/Brodeur level puckhandling goalie? With how much this team loves transition, they sure don’t think it’s important for their goalie to be able to do

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Glad to have little less doom and gloom here for change

No kidding. It can be so exhausting here sometimes.

2 losses in the last 10 games, and they're tied for 3rd overall in the entire NHL (1 point away from 1st), while beating some of the top teams in the league recently, and this place was acting like we're a bottom dweller that needs to blow the team up after last game.

There's issues the team needs to address, but if we take the emotion out of it, it's pretty clear the team is in a good spot, and can be even better if they can add Landy, Kovalenko, and a smart deadline addition or two.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

2 losses in the last 10 games, and they're tied for 3rd overall in the entire NHL (1 point away from 1st), while beating some of the top teams in the league recently, and this place was acting like we're a bottom dweller that needs to blow the team up after last game.

There's issues the team needs to address, but if we take the emotion out of it, it's pretty clear the team is in a good spot, and can be even better if they can add Landy, Kovalenko, and a smart deadline addition or two.

It’s just, the Avs somehow win games in the least inspiring way possible

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It’s just, the Avs somehow win games in the least inspiring way possible

I don't know, the comeback wins recently are pretty inspiring IMO.

I think a lot of it is our expectations from the Cup year. Some of the wins may be uninspiring and flawed, but they're still tied for the most wins in the entire NHL. That's meaningful.

Imagine how much different our reaction would have been to this season, prior to say 2019-20?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

I think it's the fact that people see how prolific the Avs top guys are this season and just wish games weren't as difficult as they have been. The Avs should not be playing top guys insane amounts of minutes night in, night out yet due to injuries and poor goaltending, that's exactly what is happening. They've come through more often than not, but it's not going to work come playoff time.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think it's the fact that people see how prolific the Avs top guys are this season and just wish games weren't as difficult as they have been. The Avs should not be playing top guys insane amounts of minutes night in, night out yet due to injuries and poor goaltending, that's exactly what is happening. They've come through more often than not, but it's not going to work come playoff time.

I agree with that to an extent, but also people here were writing off this team and saying to blow it up, after just a couple losses in their Cup year when they went 16-4.

I think we just have a tendency here to get talked into seeing things the way the most negative people here do, because it gets repeated so often, and there's very little push back against it.

We should make more of an effort to highlight the positives of this team, but that's just my opinion, and I feel like I'm fighting an up hill battle on that.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I don't know, the comeback wins recently are pretty inspiring IMO.

I think a lot of it is our expectations from the Cup year. Some of the wins may be uninspiring and flawed, but they're still tied for the most wins in the entire NHL. That's meaningful.

Imagine how much different our reaction would have been to this season, prior to say 2019-20?

My main issue is more that there’s clear holes in the roster, and based off management prior history I’m worried they’ll just expect the injured guys to come back and solve all the issues

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
My main issue is more that there’s clear holes in the roster, and based off management prior history I’m worried they’ll just expect the injured guys to come back and solve all the issues

I don't think that will cure all their issues, but I do think there's something to that.

Take the Montreal loss for an example. Avs were missing their two big bodies in that game with Val and Wood, and tonight they get Wood back, and he scores a big goal by driving the net hard, in a game they could have lost.

Problem with last year was they never got their guys back. Especially the big bodies that can score the goals in the hard to play areas. If they did I think they beat everyone except maybe Vegas, and if they got multiple guys back, I think they give them a run for their money.

And this years team is better than last year's on paper.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I don't think that will cure all their issues, but I do think there's something to that.

Take the Montreal loss for an example. Avs were missing their two big bodies in that game with Val and Wood, and tonight they get Wood back, and he scores a big goal by driving the net hard.

Problem with last year was they never got their guys back. Especially the big bodies that can score the goals in the hard to play areas. If they did I think they beat everyone except maybe Vegas, and if they got multiple guys back, I think they give them a run for their money.

And this years team is better than last year's on paper.

That’s exactly it though, the Avs are in a great position to make a big push for another Cup. But this teams management has demonstrated that it can be too patient. That’s what I’m worried about.

Do I think that if everyone returns healthy and ready to play the Avs are in a great spot? Definitely. But I also think there’s clear weakness that can be addressed (2C being the most evident)

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Avalanche are now (in all scenarios):

1st in GF
7th in CF/60
7th in SCF/60
7th in SCA/60
7th in HDCF/60
14th in HDCA/60

From a majority of metrics, this team is punching above its weight offensively. One could argue regression to the mean, which is absolutely possible and in fact probable. But the Avs have routinely been a very good finishing team. This may continue.

Another interesting note? Nashville has really good underlying numbers, similar to the Avalanche. But their goaltending has been really f***ing bad this season. Feels like whoever they trade Juuse Saros to is going to overpay for the reputation of who Saros used to be instead of who he is now, much like John Gibson.

Reactions: The Moops

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Idk based on some of the reactions from the guys it seemed like, while maybe not a cancer or anything, but Duchene had certainly worn his welcome out in CO.

I think Duchene's moodiness might have impacted the rest of the team in a negative way too, and unlike Nate, who also can be moody, he wasn't able to carry the team out of their funks with his play on ice.

They just stayed in the funk for extended periods of seasons, that coincided with Dutchy's extended scoring slumps every season. He never really reached his potential here IMO.

So while not a cancer to the team, when he left, it was like opening up a window, and instead of looking to Duchene to lead the team, they started looking to Nate who was able to carry them, and make them believe in themselves as a team, in a way that Dutchy wasn't able to.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The Avalanche are now (in all scenarios):

1st in GF
7th in CF/60
7th in SCF/60
7th in SCA/60
7th in HDCF/60
14th in HDCA/60

From a majority of metrics, this team is punching above its weight offensively. One could argue regression to the mean, which is absolutely possible and in fact probable. But the Avs have routinely been a very good finishing team. This may continue.

Another interesting note? Nashville has really good underlying numbers, similar to the Avalanche. But their goaltending has been really f***ing bad this season. Feels like whoever they trade Juuse Saros to is going to overpay for the reputation of who Saros used to be instead of who he is now, much like John Gibson.
We also have an allstar goalie

Vk1ing

Feb 12, 2016

Yeah like I dont know why you bother watching a team day in day out if all you are gonna do is complain. We are a top team in the NHL played fairly solid last 10 games. I remember the years we were awful and I couldn't imagine our team being this good. Like imagine having mackinnon and makar and a stanley cup after the Greg zanno/ Marc Andre cliche years is mind blowing

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I didn’t realize Ottawa got 2 goals from the talented Mr Ridly

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Toews surpassed last season's goal total tonight.

Did some quick and dirty stat whacking on NHL.com and the Avs have scored 143 goals this season...Mikko (24), Nate (23), Val (22), Cale (10) and Devon (8) account for 87 of them. We really need a second line. Our top unit should be expected to produce... but 60% of the team's goals seems unsustainable. By contrast Mikko (36), Nate (32), Gabe (30), Cale (28) and Devon (13) accounted for like 45% of our goals in 2021-22.

This is all inside my head maths using NHL.com, but it should be really close.

What should be our third line has 25 goals. Ross (10), LOC (8) and Wood (7). Our second line has contributed 24 goals. RyJo (11), Drouin (10) and Lehky (3). I'm not worried about Lehky and to be honest I'm not really worried with JD now that he's playing well with Nate. But we need a center capable of driving offense.

MacFarland has some work to do. The prices are not going to drop, he should be inquiring as to the "Buy Now" prices on centers.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Toews surpassed last season's goal total tonight.

Did some quick and dirty stat whacking on NHL.com and the Avs have scored 143 goals this season...Mikko (24), Nate (23), Val (22), Cale (10) and Devon (8) account for 87 of them. We really need a second line. Our top unit should be expected to produce... but 60% of the team's goals seems unsustainable. By contrast Mikko (36), Nate (32), Gabe (30), Cale (28) and Devon (13) accounted for like 45% of our goals in 2021-22.

This is all inside my head maths using NHL.com, but it should be really close.

What should be our third line has 25 goals. Ross (10), LOC (8) and Wood (7). Our second line has contributed 24 goals. RyJo (11), Drouin (10) and Lehky (3). I'm not worried about Lehky and to be honest I'm not really worried with JD now that he's playing well with Nate. But we need a center capable of driving offense.

MacFarland has some work to do. The prices are not going to drop, he should be inquiring as to the "Buy Now" prices on centers.
143? I see 170.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Mads Soogard is not Soogood. He let in a couple real stinkers. Not that I’m complaining.

Haven’t seen all the goals Annunen gave up. From what I saw he did make some big saves after a few absolutely horrid defensive breakdowns so that already puts him ahead of Prosvetov. Guessing he gets at least one more start before the deadline.

Anyway, get another comeback win against the Sens to sweep the season series. Core players come through again, and Sammy notches three assists!

Edit: Saw the goals given up. Oof. Not good.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Good win. Guys battled hard and got another comeback-win......

Great game from Sammy and i really start to like Malinksi.

Top Guns kept at 22-23 minutes ice-time is also nice to have.

Still hoping CMac gets going.

RECKLESS

Apr 23, 2019
Damn highlights only show the Sens goals, but Justus saved at 90%. Were there any big saves? How was he overall?

Nice for Malinski to get back that goal!

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

I think people want similar team which won the Stanley Cup in a dominating fashion.

Nothing wrong with that, because I think we have a chance for that. As long as we make the right moves. It's possible. So let's go for it!

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad