Proposal: Avalanche - Blue Jackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
View attachment 896889Colorado acquires: RW/LW Patrik Laine and signing rights to RFA C Cole Sillinger

(CBJ Retains $2.75mil per season on the last two seasons of Laine’s contract)

:cbjColumbus acquires: LD/RD Samuel Girard, RW Oscar Olausson and a conditional 2rd round pick in 2026 (COL)

(Girard waives 9 team no trade list for Columbus)
(Condition: Laine has to play 41 games in each season for the 2nd round pick to convey to the Blue Jackets).

Colorado gets: More depth at forward with accurate scoring winger in Laine and rights to (RFA) 2-way center Sillinger.

Columbus gets: Veteran puck moving defender that can play LD or RD in Girard and 2-way shooting winger Olausson.

Both teams assume risk in this deal as Colorado would be banking on Laine to return to his old form after dealing with injuries and personal issues and Columbus would be taking on an extra year of Girard’s contract with the confidence that he could hold down a 2nd pairing spot on the Jackets blueline if Provorov is moved before the deadline.
Ouch. Not one piece in that deal is a need for the CBJ. Don't need draft picks, don't need wings, don't need puck movers and don't need to lose a top 9 center that's 21. Sorry, awful deal. Add Sillinger.... haha. Terrible.

As an Avs fan I would say that’s terrible value for the Jackets. I’d definitely be open to acquiring both players, but I would imagine it would likely cost a decent chunk more.

From a Jackets fan perspective are Sillinger or Johnston available?
I assume you are refering to Kent Johnson? I don't think they are available, but I don't think they are untouchable but it would take a lot to move them. KJ is at a low value, high upside point and Sillinger is likely to sign a long term deal and believed to be a long term piece in Columbus as a middle 6 C (although some CBJ fans will suggest he's not worthy of 4th line C duty - the team feels otherwise, as do I).

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
:facepalm: :banghead:
FFS. Learn to read someday, y'all. This is ridiculous. Nobody associated with the Jackets fanbase has ever said "we need a LD" for this season. What keeps getting said is that we need a shutdown defender. That said defender be a lefty would be a bonus. Girard is not nor has he ever been a "shutdown" guy by any perverse stretch of the imagination; he is, in fact, the apotheosis of exactly the last possible type of guy we could ever possibly need this coming year.

Seriously. Pay attention to details. Details matter.
I'm not even a jackets fan but these proposals are just awful, the habs one takes the cake. A goalie prospect and 30% retention to boot.

Reactions: behemolari

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
From a Jackets fan perspective are Sillinger or Johnston available?
Hypothetically, as they're not OMG How Dare You untouchables or anything like that, but so far pretty much all the Johnson proposals we've seen are "buy low" attempts and we're not doing that, and Sillinger's already intended to be a keeper (Waddell is talking about giving him a multiyear deal).

Reactions: Perratrooper

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I’m not trying to single you out, as I know there are many out there who do it, but with all due respect, can you or anyone else explain to me why some people spell Avs with an e? It’s not the Colorado Avenues, nor is it the Avealanche.

Thanks

Just to tick you off.

Honestly, No idea. I see other people do it so.....

Reactions: bear16

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
FFS. Learn to read someday, y'all. This is ridiculous. Nobody associated with the Jackets fanbase has ever said "we need a LD" for this season. What keeps getting said is that we need a shutdown defender. That said defender be a lefty would be a bonus. Girard is not nor has he ever been a "shutdown" guy by any perverse stretch of the imagination; he is, in fact, the apotheosis of exactly the last possible type of guy we could ever possibly need this coming year.

I actually like Girard's defensive game, and his offensive game is a little over rated. He's a good second pair guy. He's not the classic little guy puts up points. That said if you are looking for a crease clearer, he's not your man.

Reactions: Maurice of Orange

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
If I’m Columbus, I usually wouldn’t trade you Cole Sillinger for that. Not just yet in his career. That said, it would depend on how desperate they would be to dump the $614,000 a goal man.

My guess is, they’re not that desperate. Not to lose Sillinger. There’s still some major upside with his game. Both players coming, are the level of players you get in UFA. Even in Columbus.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Makes no sense for Colorado. If this trade was in February sure, but not now. Avs have their 2C in Mitts and are needing G on the 2nd pairing cause banking on CDH or Branstromm is risky. I also have little doubt Laine will return to his former self, especially in the Avs system of speed, speed, speed. Bedner would bench him by the 2nd period of game 1.
Bro if the Avs were offered that deal I'd fly over to Denver and drive Girard to the airport himself. Also I don't know why you're bringing up speed? Laine is a fast skater

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
Ouch. Not one piece in that deal is a need for the CBJ. Don't need draft picks, don't need wings, don't need puck movers and don't need to lose a top 9 center that's 21. Sorry, awful deal. Add Sillinger.... haha. Terrible.
Sillinger is not a top 6 center, usually it’s split x 2 - top 6, middle 6 or bottom 6.

Top 9 seems like your trying to stretch Sillinger’s game up to something it’s not.

Sillinger is a bottom 6 center but it’s not long too promising for him with at center with Monahan, Jenner, Fantilli, Voronkov maybe even Kent Johnson all fighting for 3 line spots down the middle at center.

If Fantilli, Voronkov or even Kent Johnson can’t get their shit together then the 3C is Sillinger’s to lose at worst he could end up at 4C.

The only noticeable move Columbus has made was signing Monahan, maybe the Jackets will make some noise at the deadline when they start selling off their players before once again finishing dead last in the metropolitan division.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Sillinger is not a top 6 center, usually it’s split x 2 - top 6, middle 6 or bottom 6.

Top 9 seems like your trying to stretch Sillinger’s game up to something it’s not.

Sillinger is a bottom 6 center but it’s not long too promising for him with at center with Monahan, Jenner, Fantilli, Voronkov maybe even Kent Johnson all fighting for 3 line spots down the middle at center.

If Fantilli, Voronkov or even Kent Johnson can’t get their shit together then the 3C is Sillinger’s to lose at worst he could end up at 4C.

The only noticeable move Columbus has made was signing Monahan, maybe the Jackets will make some noise at the deadline when they start selling off their players before once again finishing dead last in the metropolitan division.
It sounds like you don't want your team to acquire Sillinger in which case feel free not to make an offer for him.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
It sounds like you don't want your team to acquire Sillinger in which case feel free not to make an offer for him.
I’m not a Colorado Avalanche fan, nor am I Columbus Blue Jackets fan.

Why does it always matter? What difference does it make?

Sillinger would fit a need at 4C in Colorado, Laine would fit a need at RW as Nuke won’t be available until November at the earliest, Landeskog is still out, Lehkonen is coming off of shoulder surgery so that’s the Avs situation.

Columbus are most likely tanking, Provorov is a goner at the deadline, Girard is a top 4 LD so it could fit with the right defense partner Gudbranson.

Denton Mateychuk should be starting in the AHL, it would be unwise for Waddell to let his rookie defenseman get caved in on a shit team, does nothing.

Olausson could be something or might be nothing, he can shoot and was having a good season until shoulder injury, he could push a guy like Danforth or Olivier out of the lineup if he shows he has the goods to skate and shoot at the NHL level, I wouldn’t dismiss Olausson yet.

Laine doesn’t want to play in Columbus, but if he were to play in 41 games per season as my proposal suggests it’s a free 2nd round pick for Columbus which could be bundled with something else to move up or acquire a better offensive player that can score goals.

The value is there even if the Columbus Blue Jackets fans can’t see that they are undervaluing Samuel Girard.

The avalanche are on the hook in this proposal as well because they are taking the risk by acquiring Laine who hasn’t played much in the last 3 seasons.

Reactions: Alienblood

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003

Sillinger would fit a need at 4C in Colorado, Laine would fit a need at RW as Nuke won’t be available until November at the earliest, Landeskog is still out, Lehkonen is coming off of shoulder surgery so that’s the Avs situation.

Columbus are most likely tanking, Provorov is a goner at the deadline, Girard is a top 4 LD so it could fit with the right defense partner Gudbranson.

Denton Mateychuk should be starting in the AHL, it would be unwise for Waddell to let his rookie defenseman get caved in on a shit team, does nothing.

Olausson could be something or might be nothing, he can shoot and was having a good season until shoulder injury, he could push a guy like Danforth or Olivier out of the lineup if he shows he has the goods to skate and shoot at the NHL level, I wouldn’t dismiss Olausson yet.

Laine doesn’t want to play in Columbus, but if he were to play in 41 games per season as my proposal suggests it’s a free 2nd round pick for Columbus which could be bundled with something else to move up or acquire a better offensive player that can score goals.

The value is there even if the Columbus Blue Jackets fans can’t see that they are undervaluing Samuel Girard.

The avalanche are on the hook in this proposal as well because they are taking the risk by acquiring Laine who hasn’t played much in the last 3 seasons.

When ALL fans are saying it favors the Avs (just for Bears16)……. Clearly they can’t see the value.

Sillinger isn’t a toss in.

Reactions: Indy18

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
When ALL fans are saying it favors the Avs (just for Bears16)……. Clearly they can’t see the value.

Sillinger isn’t a toss in.
I might not be as high as other are on Cole Sillinger but I never said that Sillinger was a toss in.

The most likely thing to happen is Sillinger gets a nice extension with a little term in Columbus.

Asking Columbus fans what is Sillinger’s asking price and term length on a new contract from the Blue Jackets.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

Fine. He's an expected middle 6 center. Projects at 50 pts and a 200 ft player. CBJ doesn't have the classic line setup that is so customary to many. Either way, until he's not, he's at least a 3C with upside and projects very well. Still a proposal that isn't very good in my opinion. Downplay him all you want. Just our differing opinions

Reactions: Viqsi

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

So, basically, Girard is amazing and all the Jackets players are scrubs. Got it.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Can see the logic to it. This puts the Avs D in the air without a safety net while adding even more uncertainty to W. Yes, it can be a hedge for Landeskog and Nichushkin or all can be out of the lineup.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007

Antipathy maybe? I don’t personally think Girard is particularly godlike.

Edit: too late, too drunk should have said antithesis

Last edited:
Reactions: Grinner

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
What if Colorado trade Nichushkin and a 2026 conditional 1st round pick
Conditonal if Nichushkin don't play 80 games combine in the next 2 season

Risky for both team but can really help the 2 players.
Nichushkin with a fresh new start
Laine join a team with 2 finisha in Rantanen and Lehkonen

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
No. Nichushkin is a complete non-starter under any and all circumstances. Would not take him for free - as in, literally, for free, if you were able to retain 100% of his salary. Not with the issues he's been having over and over and over and over.
but those are really only playoff issues

Reactions: Rumplesnipeskin

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Laine has no value at all at his AAV. This trade makes zero sense for the Avs. They wouldn’t acquire Laine bad contract even with Sillinger attached. Avs would have zero interest in this. I don’t think many/any teams would trade value for Laine’s contract at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad