Friedman: Avalanche are looking at Blackwood and Gibson

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
He’s a 32 year old goalie with an AAV of 6.4 while having a save % of less than .900. Whatever the Ducks retain on Gibson represents freed cap space over the next few years. That also has value.

Yeah but there's also only so much cap space you need in order to fill needs. Even with Gibson's contract they made big UFA pitches this off-season. It's not hindering anything.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
100 percent

But you have georgeiv right now and are losing games you should win. Great squad being undone by a struggling goalie is what happened to NJ last year.

There is no obvious 1A goalie available to my knowledge.

So Gibson is a good idea. Korpisalo maybe? I'd try and ory vanecek or vejmelka away as they could be cheaper.

And you may think they all suck.. but who's available to step in? It's not an idea situation for the AVS unfortunately.

“They all suck” isn’t binary. There are gradations. Improving should be the goal (no pun intended). But cost is also a part of this calculus.

I agree with you in that Id strongly consider Gibson as an option. He could be a disappointment. But if he’s not, you have a viable goalie for a few years at a realigned salary due to retention. And if Gibson is retained at 3.2, he’d also be easier to dump with two years left, if he’s a disappointment.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
“They all suck” isn’t binary. There are gradations. Improving should be the goal (no pun intended). But cost is also a part of this calculus.

I agree with you in that Id strongly consider Gibson as an option. He could be a disappointment. But if he’s not, you have a viable goalie for a few years at a realigned salary due to retention. And if Gibson is retained at 3.2, he’d be easier to dump with two years left, if he’s a disappointment.
My vote is Vej and then Vanecek (and they need to trade one of him or Blackwood for the impending Askarov). But I also have a Czech bias.lol

FiveTacos

Oct 2, 2017
The Twilight Zone
I agree with you in that Id strongly consider Gibson as an option. He could be a disappointment. But if he’s not, you have a viable goalie for a few years at a realigned salary due to retention. And if Gibson is retained at 3.2, he’d also be easier to dump with two years left, if he’s a disappointment.

Hell, just get a third team to retain another 25% for a pick, and Gibson at 1.6m becomes a no risk no brainer.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
given how bad are these options, Id rather get all the money they have in bank and send to Nabokov, to pry him away from KHL right now. he already won everything there, theres nothing else to prove. just come and save us, NOW!

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Oh man, I hope this doesn't happen. Georgiev's play so far this season is the single most hilarious thing about the start of a hockey season that I could remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad