Friedman: Avalanche are looking at Blackwood and Gibson

Leviathan

Nov 25, 2008
In Friday's podcast Friedman says Blackwood is a goalie the Avs have been looking at for a while. Also suggests Gibson but isn't as sure about it due to health concerns.

25:30

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I asked in another thread what the Avs would offer for Blackwood and didn't get any real positive response. I honestly think he'd do alright there. Maybe not a long term fixture, but he could stop the bleeding and hold his own with the Avs.

HabzSauce

Jun 10, 2022
Both decent gambles. I like Blackwood alot but idk if he's starter material. Gibson could be a steal if he gets fired up in Colorado. Would have to stay healthy too

If I'm avs, between these two, I'd bet the farm and take Gibson, and hope to God he stays healthy. He has higher upside. Maybe playing for a new team in Colorado rejuvenates him and he becomes Avs best goalie in years.

I'd look elsewhere if I were them tho. UPL and Gustavsson are great targets but expensive. Also no idea if MIN and BUF would entertain.

Maybe Lindgren if WSH is interested. He would be a good upgrade and wouldn't break the bank either

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Blackwood is a weird choice. He sucks. Gibson would be worth a shot to see if he can get motivated again with a contender. He's been through enough bs in Anaheim.

But selfishly, have they considered Jarry? He'd cost the least.

Please, Avs GM, if you're reading this...you lot will fix him.

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
How about a 30 year old 2-time Stanley Cup winning goalie making minimum? You don't get great stuff unless you are willing to pay a great return and/or you are a bit of a gambler.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Both decent gambles. I like Blackwood alot but idk if he's starter material. Gibson could be a steal if he gets fired up in Colorado. Would have to stay healthy too

If I'm avs, between these two, I'd bet the farm and take Gibson, and hope to God he stays healthy. He has higher upside. Maybe playing for a new team in Colorado rejuvenates him and he becomes Avs best goalie in years.

I'd look elsewhere if I were them tho. UPL and Gustavsson are great targets but expensive. Also no idea if MIN and BUF would entertain.

Maybe Lindgren if WSH is interested. He would be a good upgrade and wouldn't break the bank either
Can’t imagine why Washington would want to trade Lindgren right now.

Reactions: joestevens29

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
But selfishly, have they considered Jarry? He'd cost the least.

He’d cost little in asset loss but a lot on cap commitment unless Pittsburgh is about to do a big long retention. He’s got one of those contracts that just isn’t justifiable on the cap ledger of a team that wants to compete.

He might be borderline nhl level after a buyout and a team can give him a near minimum contract like Detroit did with Campbell. But just like Campbell, no team is taking the big contract. Unless maybe like Kuemper he can be moved with an equally albatross contract going the other way.

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
I don't think the Ducks would take back salary on Gibson and would they really want Georgiev? I don't see Blackwood as an upgrade to Georgiev either.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Seems like maybe just throwing that story out there to put some pressure on their own guys. When have teams made a big trade this early in the season

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad