OT - NO POLITICS Autumn edition- foliage, cider doughnuts & pumpkin everything.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Yeah I’d like to think rates will ease next year. Something’s gotta give here. Shit inventory. Crazy high home values. Crazy high taxes and insurance.

The interest rates are all a f***in scam lol i swear it’s a made up number. Some rich assholes wake up each day and say “how bad do we wanna f*** with them today?” And then laugh at us
30 percent higher

• Wow
Reactions: TD Charlie

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
One of the scariest investments to me is a condo. We are home owners but thought about a condo as we get older. The fees can be crazy and if extra renos are needed, it can be astronomical.

Recently, a condo in Toronto needs major repairs and the cost is an extra $70,000 per unit! It would be cheaper to hire people to take care of the grass, snow clearing, etc., and stay in the house. Of course, health issues may not allow that.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
One of the scariest investments to me is a condo. We are home owners but thought about a condo as we get older. The fees can be crazy and if extra renos are needed, it can be astronomical.

Recently, a condo in Toronto needs major repairs and the cost is an extra $70,000 per unit! It would be cheaper to hire people to take care of the grass, snow clearing, etc., and stay in the house. Of course, health issues may not allow that.
We have some 55+ communities around here, with small homes where I believe lawn maintenance is included. Someday that is probably something I'll consider since I'm only a couple years away from qualifying now :help:

Reactions: caz16

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
We have some 55+ communities around here, with small homes where I believe lawn maintenance is included. Someday that is probably something I'll consider since I'm only a couple years away from qualifying now :help:
I think small houses that are condos are a better investment than high rises. We had one condo here, a few years ago, that needed new balconies due to them being unsafe. It was also a huge bill to the tenants.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I think small houses that are condos are a better investment than high rises. We had one condo here, a few years ago, that needed new balconies due to them being unsafe. It was also a huge bill to the tenants.

I think that may be our next/ final move. A free standing condo.
I have segued into somebody else doing lawn and leaves. I contracted a local outfit here to handle the snow. Hopefully he shows up.

Would like to stay here about another 5 years until the dogs have passed.

Reactions: Alicat and caz16

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Then there are the horror stories like what happened in Miami. At least i think that’s where it was. That huge building that went down and killed a bunch of people, and then it turns out that there was some different stories on building maintenance and costs associated with it, and who told who etc etc

Scary to think about. I just want my own shit thank you very much lol

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I think that may be our next/ final move. A free standing condo.
I have segued into somebody else doing lawn and leaves. I contracted a local outfit here to handle the snow. Hopefully he shows up.

Would like to stay here about another 5 years until the dogs have passed.
I have started to look into similar housing for my father. The condo fees are just outrageous, which on their own I could probably stomach. But then the asking price on even run down dated places in not-so-great areas is through the roof too. Makes the monthly cost unreasonable for the time being.

I am more than happy to pay the 50 bucks to a local guy to come cut the grass, and a few hundred for the big clean out at the end of the year. We’ve been doing that for 7 years now. I regret nothing.

Reactions: caz16 and Gee Wally

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
That's the long-term play. My daughter is getting serious about buying a place. I am encouraging her to jump in now with the idea that she can refinance in a year or so is relatively comforting.

I've always done Wordle. Gordle just ended, that was a bummer. My daughter got me into Connections and Strands as well. Great way to kill time on a boring conference call. :D

You'll get the hang of Connections soon enough, although some of them still go right over my head.
connections is the best. On april fools they had one with pictures. it was even better abd harder.

Johnny Upton

Jul 5, 2003
Boston
Yeah I’d like to think rates will ease next year. Something’s gotta give here. Shit inventory. Crazy high home values. Crazy high taxes and insurance.

The interest rates are all a f***in scam lol i swear it’s a made up number. Some rich assholes wake up each day and say “how bad do we wanna f*** with them today?” And then laugh at us
The Mrs and I have discussed possibly moving to her hometown in Western New York at some point down the road, but those rates are definitely putting the squash on that right now. We got lucky and bought in early 2020 and our rate is below 3%. Anything we buy out there would be much higher and hurt our buying power.

I've always done Wordle. Gordle just ended, that was a bummer. My daughter got me into Connections and Strands as well. Great way to kill time on a boring conference call. :D

You'll get the hang of Connections soon enough, although some of them still go right over my head.
I am absolutely hooked on Strands! It’s a good 5 minute time waster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad