HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024-25 Season

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
They need a veteran D badly.

Got to correct myself: they need everything
Savard, Mesar and a second rounder for Zegras.

Caufield-Suzuki-Zegras
Heineman then Laine-Dach-Slafkovsky
Newhook-Evans then Hage-Armia then Demidov
Dvorak until TDL, then Heineman-Kapanen-Gallagher

Last edited:

Positive Vibes

Habs4Life
Jun 24, 2016
Canada
Bergevin was fired on November 28th 2021. If we use that date as the start of the rebuild we are sitting at 2 years and 11 months. You can argue the decision to start over came a bit later also (ex: When Kent Hughes got hired or the 2022 trade deadline or when Carey Price career was over.)

For simplicity sake let's stick to when Bergevin got fired. This is still less than 3 years that the rebuild started. I don't know how some of you come up to 4 years. Jeff Gorton and Kent Hughes are doing very well knowing the mess they inherited.
i assume people are trying to say this is the 'fourth' year to push their narrative that there hasn't been enough progress and thus the rebuild is failing.

Doesn't really make much sense to me but to each their own i guess

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I don't really get this "they did nothing" stuff. Laine was the third best player who moved teams this summer behind Guentzel and Stamkos. We even got paid to take on one of the big fish this summer. It sucks that he got hurt but that doesn't mean we should have traded Savard, Dvorak, and Armia for a box of timbits just so we could throw bloated UFA deals at another three generic depth players and create future cap problems.
Dump DVO, bring back Eller. Strong dude, plays with intensity, good bottom 6er still.
I could go for a l'harceleur reunion.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I don't think a team could get Zegras with low offer. It takes a bigger bone than Savard Mesar combined. But the point, getting a top player, is Zegras the best choice or there are other interresting players we don't know yet they are available?
Well he hasn't done anything this season.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Slafkovsky, Dach, Heinman, Barron are all current roster players that came as a result from the rebuild that started in 21/22. The rebuild did start that year.

Toffoli and Lehkonen were sold for 1sts, Hughes/Gorton were hired and to put in their own coach and could evaluate the roster before the draft.

It absolutely counts. People just don't want to admit it out of some misguided sense of making the timeline look worse. It's just cope.
I think going by number of seasons instead of years is a bit unfair to judge Hugo’s work. The 2021-2022 season didn’t start off as a rebuild. The foundation was already laid out for that season. The work done during the 2021 offseason for better or worse cannot be ignored. They had a direct impact on our rebuild today and it was for the most part negative.

We would be in a much better place today if in a alternative universe Jeff Gorton shows up in the summer of 2021 to start the 2021-2022 season. The whole timeline looks different and I think we are further ahead if that was the case.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
He was gambling on Matheson and Savard with Struble, Barron being sufficient.

The mistake he made was trading Kovy

Pretty sure they expected Savard to not be a liability on D & being able to rotate in/out Barron and Reinbacher as 3RD.

vokiel

#DanzeMolsonMix
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Pretty sure they expected Savard to not be a liability on D & being able to rotate in/out Barron and Reinbacher as 3RD.
Expecting Reinbacher to be able to fit in the NHL after a couple of games in the AHL was also a mistake imho.

Edit: Like expecting Demidov to win the Calder next season is also another mistake waiting to happen.

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
How was KH unable to find one in the off season? Certainly he must have known then, what needed more immediate attention.
The loss of Monahan might be the blow that is making the team look so lost right now. I overlooked that until 20 minutes ago(old age lol). He was a very steady presence out there, many nights he was better than Suzuki and now that he isn't here, we are hoping that Dach can step up but it isn't happening right now.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
That's when we say prospects were rushed... Not because they played in the NHL, but because a bunch of doofusses put unrealistic expectations on their shoulders.
What are you talking about? It is not unrealistic to expect the #1 pick in the draft to win the Calder or likely the 2nd best forward to win the Calder one year later. Expecting a defenseman to be good in his first year is un realistic though.

vokiel

#DanzeMolsonMix
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
What are you talking about? It is not unrealistic to expect the #1 pick in the draft to win the Calder or likely the 2nd best forward to win the Calder one year later. Expecting a defenseman to be good in his first year is un realistic though.
It's unrealistic to expect anyone who never played in the league to win any trophies in the league in their first season.

Yes it is..

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Expecting Reinbacher to be able to fit in the NHL after a couple of games in the AHL was also a mistake imho.

Edit: Like expecting Demidov to win the Calder next season is also another mistake waiting to happen.

It's not really a mistake, the Habs have two young dman with maturity in their game and it's Guhle and Reinbacher. Fate has it that both are gone right now.
Pretty sure the original plan was for Reinbacher to babysit Matheson at some point this season.

The best laid plans of mice and men, as they say.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Oh I didn't realize sorry. I figured we were still at the cap limit. Is that 6.5 with Laine on LTIR?

Hey I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying it's a bit late to make any changes that will really help the team. Laine was our big play, and it has thus far been a big zero.
If your big play is a cap dump you might have a poor strategy. But yeah.

vokiel

#DanzeMolsonMix
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
It's not really a mistake, the Habs have two young dman with maturity in their game and it's Guhle and Reinbacher. Fate has it that both are gone right now.
Pretty sure the original plan was for Reinbacher to babysit Matheson at some point this season.

The best laid plans of mice and men, as they say.
Sounds pretty unrealistic to me specially for a Euro player. I mean Reinbacher would have played in the league sure, but planning a roster with him and no backup plan, that's a mistake for sure. Who was the backup anyhow? Mailloux? Same issue.

Kovy would have been a perfect backup plan, to wrap the topic around.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Sounds pretty unrealistic to me specially for a Euro player. I mean Reinbacher would have played in the league sure, but planning a roster with him and no backup plan, that's a mistake for sure. Who was the backup anyhow? Mailloux? Same issue.

Kovy would have been a perfect backup plan, to wrap the topic around.

What is unrealistic is to expect triple redondance on a hockey team. You just don't have that kind of luxury, trading Kova is the willingness to take a steps back to move forward, you need to give Reinbacher NHL rep to move forward.

Guhle is injured, Reinbacher is injured, Savard is playing like shit and Mailloux/Barron are anything but stable... That's quite the toll on the right side at the moment.

Canadiens98

Jan 29, 2021
Hughes has tried to trade for Zegras before. He's off to slow start this season. Maybe it is time for a change?
I think drafting Demidov and Hage means Zegras is no longer in consideration. Not because he isn't talented, but because I don't think we can have too many guys who don't play a tough game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad