OT - NO POLITICS Autumn edition- foliage, cider doughnuts & pumpkin everything.

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED GIRL DAD
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
IMG_4112.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: BMC

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008

My brother lives in Charlotte county which looks like it may be in the worst place south of landfall. He pretty much just recovered from Hurricane Ian that directly hit there.

He has lived there over 30 years and rarely had hurricane issues until Ian and now Milton, global warming maybe making hurricanes worse than ever before? He thinks he's going to be done with Florida after this storm.

Reactions: caz16 and Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
My brother lives in Charlotte county which looks like it may be in the worst place south of landfall. He pretty much just recovered from Hurricane Ian that directly hit there.

He has lived there over 30 years and rarely had hurricane issues until Ian and now Milton, global warming maybe making hurricanes worse than ever before? He thinks he's going to be done with Florida after this storm.
I hope he stays safe and hopefully it won’t be bad where he is! A lot of people just finished recovery from Ian. It is just heartbreaking to watch. Global warming is a major reason why we are seeing more powerful storms. Water temperatures in the gulf are almost 90 degrees which wasn’t a case 30 years ago.

This video is really helpful in understanding why Milton is tracking towards Florida

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Todays my day off I told work id come in so I can train more but I dont think so. Havent heard any news about the next few days either. With the coastline evacuating I dont see the point.

My sister suggested we all go up there but my parents said no.

My father is confident with how these communities are built and how they just spent thousands on storm windows that we will be fine

Weather events always have me anxious can’t exactly fight or even sometimes escape weather

Coco the puff
..but you can avoid the worst of it. Do it, if not for yourself, for the sake of Coco. Seriously, spending thousands on storm windows isn't going to prevent the damage of a major hurricane, the surge is dangerous as we have seen. Good luck, be smart!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
180 mph :amazed::amazed:..... although hopefully will weaken some by Wednesday

If it stays true to course, the Lightning might not be playing in their arena for a while

Edit: To clarify, I realize that hockey is at the very bottom of concerns in a situation like this. I was just thinking about how their arena practically sits in a bay already

Last edited:

JAD

Old School
Sponsor
Nov 19, 2009
Florida
I hope he stays safe and hopefully it won’t be bad where he is! A lot of people just finished recovery from Ian. It is just heartbreaking to watch. Global warming is a major reason why we are seeing more powerful storms. Water temperatures in the gulf are almost 90 degrees which wasn’t a case 30 years ago.

This video is really helpful in understanding why Milton is tracking towards Florida

My property can handle a category 1 maybe cat 2 - high end things get dicey ... cat 3 and beyond, it will be ugly.

Really watching the tracking of this storm, and I wish no harm on anyone, but I really hope it tracks south of Tampa or loses its strength to cat 1 or less before landfall.

This isn't good for anyone.
People trying to evacuate ... roads leading out of the area are bumper to bumper or very crowded. And there is no lodging available outside the projected path for hundreds of miles. Gas stations are running out of gas already today. And stores are running out or have run out of supplies. No link needed this is first hand boots on the ground personal experience and encounter today. Options are very limited for people. I live 80 - 90 miles north of Tampa and this is what we are experiencing in our area today. People are very nervous.

• Wow
Reactions: Alicat

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My property can handle a category 1 maybe cat 2 - high end things get dicey ... cat 3 and beyond, it will be ugly.

Really watching the tracking of this storm, and I wish no harm on anyone, but I really hope it tracks south of Tampa or loses its strength to cat 1 or less before landfall.

This isn't good for anyone.
People trying to evacuate ... roads leading out of the area are bumper to bumper or very crowded. And there is no lodging available outside the projected path for hundreds of miles. Gas stations are running out of gas already today. And stores are running out or have run out of supplies. No link needed this is first hand boots on the ground personal experience and encounter today. Options are very limited for people. I live 80 - 90 miles north of Tampa and this is what we are experiencing in our area today. People are very nervous.
Yeah, the truth is, having windows boarded up means nothing if the surge gets you, or the wind is high enough that it rips off your roof

Tampa has avoided "the big one" for a long time. I was there when we thought Charley was going to be it, before it took a sharp turn at the last minute.

Pinellas may be an island instead of a peninsula if it takes a direct hit

Reactions: JAD

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED GIRL DAD
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Its tracking north. It was 20 miles northwest of me touching down and now its 35 miles northwest of me.

People saying evacuate like its easy.

Highways are packed
Places are booked for miles and miles especially after Helene
Lots of people have no place to go

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Its tracking north. It was 20 miles northwest of me touching down and now its 35 miles northwest of me.

Highways are packed

I don’t think anyone is suggesting it’s easy or comfortable, but it’s a hell of a lot easier than being rescued from your roof.

Bleached

Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate of shrimp
Oct 3, 2018

Highways are packed
If this storm was hitting the east coast first, i'd probably be headed to Georgia

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY

Highways are packed
If you have to evacuate do you just keep going north or west eventually....how far do you need to go to get away and find a hotel,?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad