OT - NO POLITICS Autumn edition- foliage, cider doughnuts & pumpkin everything.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Dog's had the drizzling shits since Monday so I'm sitting outside the vet waiting to get a seen.

Curious how other pet owners go about vet appointments and how things work up where you're all at. Here there's a regular low cost vet I go to for checkups or non-urgent matters and book appointments for which are usually a week to ten days out (and do walk-in on Saturday morning for vaccines). But for more urgent care needs there's another walk-in only vet I go to (and am at now) where the doors open at 7:30 to book your place in line but they don't start seeing patients until about 9 AM, so it's a lot of waking up early and then killing time in the car waiting.

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Dog's had the drizzling shits since Monday so I'm sitting outside the vet waiting to get a seen.

Curious how other pet owners go about vet appointments and how things work up where you're all at. Here there's a regular low cost vet I go to for checkups or non-urgent matters and book appointments for which are usually a week to ten days out (and do walk-in on Saturday morning for vaccines). But for more urgent care needs there's another walk-in only vet I go to (and am at now) where the doors open at 7:30 to book your place in line but they don't start seeing patients until about 9 AM, so it's a lot of waking up early and then killing time in the car waiting.
Have you tried mixing some canned pumpkin into his food?

That's always worked like a charm for my dogs...

Reactions: Alicat and sooshii

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Have you tried mixing some canned pumpkin into his food?

That's always worked like a charm for my dogs...
I did buy a can of pumpkin and added it in last night. He has been better in terms of energy level since Monday (but still loose and frequent with the bowels) so I'm pretty sure it's just indigestion from getting into something he shouldn't have eaten, but just checking just in case to make sure it's not worms or a parasite that need treatment.

Reactions: BMC

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

Good Luck. I hope your pup will be OK

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
With Kristin Chenoweth?

A friend at work, a native New Yorker and inveterate theater goer, saw her star in the Broadway production.

I actually only know KC from a guest appearance on "Frasier,"

I don't remember the cast. It was March of 2009. Amanda and I had spent time in London doing the sites, taken a train to Liverpool to do a tour on the Beatles, Took the train from London to Edinburgh...spent some time there and back to London to fly home. Our last night in London we were staying at a hotel near the airport and decided to go to a show. We were able to get great seats to see Wicked.

Reactions: GordonHowe

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Same exact protocols I've always had. There have been times where the in-town vet had availability to sneak us in on super short notice, but usually they have told me to go to Weymouth VCA on Columbian. It ends up being a half day ordeal, works kinda like a walk in urgent care clinic, but they've been helpful.

Actually, my dear pup Zdeno crossed the rainbow bridge from the Weymouth VCA, and the vet assistant we had with us in the room was just as emotional as I was. I'll never forget them for that. Just seems like they cared

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Same exact protocols I've always had. There have been times where the in-town vet had availability to sneak us in on super short notice, but usually they have told me to go to Weymouth VCA on Columbian. It ends up being a half day ordeal, works kinda like a walk in urgent care clinic, but they've been helpful.

Actually, my dear pup Zdeno crossed the rainbow bridge from the Weymouth VCA, and the vet assistant we had with us in the room was just as emotional as I was. I'll never forget them for that. Just seems like they cared
This is probably why Vets have a high rate of suicide and an overall shitty profession. Expensive schooling, all of your patients die, with the time invested I wonder if they wish they became human doctors.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I don't remember the cast. It was March of 2009. Amanda and I had spent time in London doing the sites, taken a train to Liverpool to do a tour on the Beatles, Took the train from London to Edinburgh...spent some time there and back to London to fly home. Our last night in London we were staying at a hotel near the airport and decided to go to a show. We were able to get great seats to see Wicked.
My sister Patter (Mary Patricia) used to live in Kensington, on Gloucester Road. This is very close to Kensington Palace and the Victoria and Albert Museum.

I visited in 1999, met my friend Joe in London, and then took the chunnel to Paris and met up again with Joe. One of the loveliest experiences of my life.

My brother Bob used to live in Clapham, and now teaches architecture at the Glasgow School of Art.

The V & A made the traveling exhibit "David Bowie Is.." a permanent installation this year.

My hope is to visit Bob and swing over to London to see it.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
This is probably why Vets have a high rate of suicide and an overall shitty profession. Expensive schooling, all of your patients die, with the time invested I wonder if they wish they became human doctors.
I never thought about it, but you're right. Just when they get attached to the animal, it's over. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: BMC

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I'm down 4lbs since starting Mounjaro last Friday. I have to take it for my A1C that has been hovering on the line for the last 3+ years. I can see why it is used off label tho.

The whole gist of the drug is that it suppresses food noise and slows down the digestion process so if you overeat you don't feel so great.

The key to success with it is to hydrate like crazy and up your protein intake. You can still have sweets but for me, I am finding that my craving for them has lessened and instead of a fistfull of hershey kisses, 2-3 is satisfying.

My only side effects so far have been a dull headache (allergies don't help) and bloating. I will say you do need to make sure you have a few things on hand for GI stuff if you already have issues.

Anyone have recommendations on good protein shakes/powder? I need to up my protein and am looking for a shake to have at lunch.

Reactions: caz16

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

They were amazing when we lost Beetle, our Schnoodle. They sent us a card with her paw print and held my mom's hand after she made the tough but right decision. It still hurts but VCA Weymouth made everything easier because they truly do care.

• Love
Reactions: TD Charlie

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I did buy a can of pumpkin and added it in last night. He has been better in terms of energy level since Monday (but still loose and frequent with the bowels) so I'm pretty sure it's just indigestion from getting into something he shouldn't have eaten, but just checking just in case to make sure it's not worms or a parasite that need treatment.
Try an antacid. My mom's Westie gets them from time to time because certain treats and eating things outside make him sick. Mom also gives him mashed potatoes or boiled chicken and it helps.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
They were amazing when we lost Beetle, our Schnoodle. They sent us a card with her paw print and held my mom's hand after she made the tough but right decision. It still hurts but VCA Weymouth made everything easier because they truly do care.
Beetle and Z looked a lot alike! That's nice to hear you had a good experience too, on the very worst of days.

Reactions: Alicat

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
6 bridges north of us are gone. A few of them were tall and hardy bridges also.

People have to drive west and north to be able to go to east TN.

Traffic is eugh.

PS - 88 structures(House/Business) destroyed in the county.

Last edited:

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Or even worse, they could save it and people dont want to pay. I have a high school friend who is a Vet that does at home euthanasian as a business. I guess you just need to lean into it?
I don't have the capacity for something like that. Over, and over, and over. Credit to your old friend for being able to take that on. I've heard nurses and docs, and various folks with occupations around death/dying, say at a certain point you get numb to it, but I don't think I ever could. It's too much, difficult to even type that post

Reactions: Alicat

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
When I was a kid I wanted to be a vet because I love animals. But at some point I realized that most of the job would be dealing with animals who are sick and/or dying, or cutting them open or putting them down. None of which I want.

I can see why they're depressed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad