OT - NO POLITICS Autumn edition- foliage, cider doughnuts & pumpkin everything.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I’m sure the Bride of Chucky is a lovely woman, so this isn’t necessarily about her, per se.

One reason I changed my career from one that deals with the public to one that does not is the pretentiousness of supposed “VIPs.” Get over yourselves, people.

If I were the Bride of Chucky, I wouldn’t tell ANYONE who I was, and see how the filthy unwashed masses are treated by the staff at hubby’s company. If I received good customer service, I’d commend the staff accordingly. If I were treated poorly…

You seem like a pretty good dude, @GordonHowe. I can’t imagine how you would be a bother to anyone.

Between you and me, I am not a pretty good dude. Actually, I'm a terrible person.

More, I've been known to shoot my mouth off about Jeremy Jacobs on occasion. Which, as you can imagine, is a no no in this particular position.

In the event, I'm fairly certain Charlie's better half has an inkling regarding public perceptions of her father-in-law.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
As part of my packing and decluttering before the move, I'm going through a couple of boxes of mom's things that I haven't gone through since she died last year.

I loved my mom, but oh my stars, that woman kept every greeting card ever given to any member of our family for any occasion, ever.

I'm sorry mom, but that card you gave me for my third birthday? I appreciate it, I really do... but it's going in the trash now. Along with the hundred other such cards that were with it.

What makes this harder is I've had to really kind of glance through everything because with her dementia she used to stash all sorts of things in random places. I came across an unused gift certificate for Longhorn steakhouse for $50. Have to look it up and see if it's still good.
My father in law had a book....I'm dead now what...he never filled it out

He said oh and there is a life insurance policy no one would know about.... thanks for that....we have to wait for a bill to come in I guess

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My father in law had a book....I'm dead now what...he never filled it out

He said oh and there is a life insurance policy no one would know about.... thanks for that....we have to wait for a bill to come in I guess
I've seen advertisements for Nokbox.... which is basically a box with a bunch of folders pre-categorized where you can list all the stuff your family needs to know in the event of your death. I've debated doing something similar but when I pass there's not going to be much left for anybody lol. And likely no family who is going to want any of my stuff.

Someone here will have to take on cookie duty, though.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Got lucky that the storms stayed to the north and east of us. There are so many people whose cars were totaled and roofs destroyed by baseball sized hail.

We got word that this chance for storms was increasing at around noon so I was able to move my car undercover and based on timing of the storm, I was able to move an appointment. I got caught in the nasty storms on Sunday and I didn’t want to chance it.

It was wild to see a small portion of the storm cloud from one window and the sun out of another. I walked outside and it was very dark on the other side of the complex.

Mother Nature really showed her many sides tonight. It is a reminder of how beautiful it can be one minute and damaging the next.

This was tonight’s sunset from my living room.

Attachments

• IMG_1231.jpeg
    IMG_1231.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Wow
Reactions: BMC and caz16

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I've seen advertisements for Nokbox.... which is basically a box with a bunch of folders pre-categorized where you can list all the stuff your family needs to know in the event of your death. I've debated doing something similar but when I pass there's not going to be much left for anybody lol. And likely no family who is going to want any of my stuff.

Someone here will have to take on cookie duty, though.
After everything with my dad, my mom hired an estate lawyer and got everything together. The lawyer goes over her binder every 6 months and re-issues them when laws change. It was hard to listen to but if anything positive was coming out of my dad’s sickness and subsequent accident that took him from us, it is that my mom has carried on his promise to take care of his girls and has a plan in place. I hope to have 20+ more years with her.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
Does anyone have any good advice on how to tackle a mass of family photographs? I think my Mom was trying to sort them out before she died but they are a bigger mess now than they were before she started. I have put them in a big box, they are all different sizes because they go back to the 1920s so albums are not really an option for many.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Does anyone have any good advice on how to tackle a mass of family photographs? I think my Mom was trying to sort them out before she died but they are a bigger mess now than they were before she started. I have put them in a big box, they are all different sizes because they go back to the 1920s so albums are not really an option for many.
I have the same exact question. I already had several boxes of my own and got a bunch more when mom died. First I need to go through and toss all the duplicates because we always ordered double prints. :help: Beyond that it feels like mission impossible. It will be a huge project no matter what.

Sorry I'm not any help lol

Reactions: GordonHowe

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

it'll take some time, but 1st thing I'd do is scan all of them so you have a digital version for preservation

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

You might want to donate the oldest photos to your local historical society. This is what we did after going through my parents' photos- they had inherited photos from my grandparents along with the ones they had taken. Our society was delighted to get them as they depict a time gone by.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
My Dad loved photography. He had a darkroom in our basement. He also had 40 thousand slides (starting in WW2) all in cases numbered and cataloged. I have all of them. My sis has all of his black and white photos

Someday (he has been gone since 2003) I will go through and toss some of them.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I have the same exact question. I already had several boxes of my own and got a bunch more when mom died. First I need to go through and toss all the duplicates because we always ordered double prints. :help: Beyond that it feels like mission impossible. It will be a huge project no matter what.

Sorry I'm not any help lol
Captain Obvious says, to begin anyway, get rid of the duplicates and pictures you have no use for; label several boxes for several subjects and get a handle on it that way.

You may or may not have a photographer friend who can make a scrapbook for you out of the surviving pictures, which you might distribute to friends and family. Eventually. This is what my friend Lyn did for my family.

Good luck,

🧹 🧹👀

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Hurricane Helene is shaping up to be a whopper.

I've lived through numerous hurricanes but if I was anywhere near that one I'd be on my way out of town

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad